Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '76 T3 developed a leak at the output shaft seal necessitating replacement of the seal. What I thought would be a pretty straightforward removal of the seal has turned into an epic lesson in wrenching on old Guzzis.

The Goose the morning ID-Day (initial disassembly)

Never having done much more on a bike but oil/filter and brake pad changes I dove into removing the rear wheel and swing arm to get at the seal. Everything came apart beautifully except for the left-side swing arm bolt which needed the encouragement of an impact driver.

All smiles!

Then came getting the seal out. Unfortunately I didn't have the right tools to get the retaining bolt off and for whatever reason thought I could get the seal out anyway. Cue broken dental tools, fish hooks, you name it. And a great deal of cursing.

Nothing doing.

As it turned out there is a guy who lives where my band rehearses who happens to know a great deal about bikes and Guzzis in particular named Neal Elkins. Neal is a late stage alcoholic ex-Master Gunny Viet Nam vet who amongst other things grew up in Hollywood and pushed a broom at Carrol Shelby's (you know, the Cobra guy) shop when he was a kid and grew up in the So-Cal hot rod scene in the late fifties and early sixties. Needless to say he's a character. Anyhow, he saw me pull up at the practice studio one day and we got to talking and he offered to his help if I ever needed it. Well, I needed it.

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And so my Guzzi came damn near completely apart.

And so.... here we are......

After pulling the gear box apart we called it a day and after about 48 hours of thought I decided to admit partial defeat and took the gear box to Moto International here in Seattle to have Micha and the awesome folks there remove and replace the seal and reassemble the gear box. I'm hopeful they'll be able to get it done by tomorrow afternoon so I can get the bike back together on Sunday, but if not, I'll be bikeless for another week. I feel like someone has stolen my mojo since I haven't been able to ride. But.... I am happy with learning so much about the bike and kinda proud to have gotten so far with my first major moto surgery. Wish me luck with the reassembly.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
So after filling in the first two hours of the day what did you do with the rest? Gearbox output shaft nuts ethier you need a stinking great rattle gun or a torch (of the oxygen actelene variety) to burn out whatever they use for locktight to keep those things on. The local guzzi shop the guy pulls the old five speeders apart in half and hour and goes back together in less time. Freaky to watch but I guess 20 plus years of practise helps, moto international should look after you but make sure they replace the return spring while they are in there and maybe look at getting it shimmed properly see GuzziTech.com - Guzzi Power Guzzi Power Guzzi Power Guzzi Power Guzzi Power for details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts