Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, worst day ever :cry Sad to say I crashed the F4i pretty good this afternoon, and she's not looking too good right now, and won't start either. It was such a nice day out and I was hungry, so about noon time I left to go ride around a bit and then get something to eat. So I'm going along I-595, in the right lane going 60-65 mph cuz there was a decent amount of traffic. The right lane was an exit lane to I-95 northbound, which was where I was headed. I was behind a Caravan, and wasn't even that close cuz I hate tailgaters and don't do it myself, but the Caravan just SLAMMED on the brakes hardcore because on the right shoulder there was a flatbed towtruck sitting there but he wasn't all the way over, still sticking out into the road. Well the Caravan (and probably the people in front of them) slammed on the brakes, and by the time I reacted and slammed on the brakes (natural reaction I guess), but I was heading straight for the van fast. Honestly it all happened so fast, after slamming on the brakes and feeling the rear lock up and start to slide, I don't even remember what happened, just hitting the ground and sliding on my back for a bit then rolling a few times. I actually ended up sliding down the shoulder and I stopped underneath the back end of the flatbed towtruck that apparently caused this whole thing. After sitting there for a second thinking to myself 'this can't be happening', I realize I'm ok and I crawl out from under the truck, stand up and take my gloves and helmet off and look around. I saw my bike laying in the dead center of the right lane, right where I had been travelling, laying on it's right side with a whole bunch of pieces scattered all around it. The guy in the van pulled over cuz apparently I ran into him, I'm not sure if it was after I fell off the bike or not cuz like I said, I really don't remember anything that happened after slamming on the brakes. Somebody else pulled over too and they came up and asked me if I was ok, I said yea I'm fine. Luckily there was an FHP officer not far back so she got there almost right away. Long story short, from my understanding she gave the towtruck driver the ticket for sticking out into the road and ultimately causing the whole thing. Anyways, I just thank God, as well as Fieldsheer, HJC, and Alpinestars that I'm not only still here to talk about it, but also that I escaped pretty much unharmed overall. Only damage to me was a little scrape on my forehead, a bruise on my left knee, and a decent scrape about 1 inch around on my right knee. Other than that, no broken bones and I got right up and walked away from it. When I think how I slid under the truck, I realize it could have been ALOT worse for me... I came to a stop under the back end of the truck right in the middle, and didn't hit anything under there. Had I slid a little farther I could have hit the differential or the tires, which definitely would have done some more damage to me. Now the bike on the other hand...ehhh, not so lucky. Amazingly though, not a scratch on the tank and not a scratch on the tail, though it did get pushed down somehow and got 2 little holes in each side

This is how it looked this morning

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=286113

NOW

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Best $$$ I ever spent right here

Guess now I gotta see what I can do about getting her back together again!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Since the popo gave the tow truck guy the ticket for causing everything, will he or his company's insurance be responsible for fixing your bike? I sure hope so. I crashed my bike a few months back also and still looking for a new bike cus I'm itchin to ride.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
glad ur ok man, and good luck with getting things back together....

It just shows how in a split second things can change... if you would swerved you may have ran smack into the tow truck or worse...

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Main thing is you are ok. Plastic and metal can be repaired and replaced, it sucks ass but better than the alternative. Good luck getting it back together bro!

·
Pimp In training
157 Posts
lilxboi said:
Sorry to hear man. Since the popo gave the tow truck guy the ticket for causing everything, will he or his company's insurance be responsible for fixing your bike? I sure hope so. I crashed my bike a few months back also and still looking for a new bike cus I'm itchin to ride.

damn man!!! that sucks

·
Registered
670 Posts
sorry to hear about that man that sucks. I know just how it feels too, I had my first wreck last friday and its not a fun experience, I hope your like me though and just do what you need to get riding again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. Good to hear that you weren't injured.
It breaks my heart to see an identical F4i to mine looking like that. You'll have her back together in no time and looking all new.

When I lowsided on gravel a few months ago I only had light scratches but it still killed me to see even slight damage on my bike. A few months later it doesn't bother me that much, but I still wish it hadn't happened.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm impressed man, you've got a great attitude considering the circumstances! And although you may feel fine right now, don't be so sure you don't have a small fracture or sprain somewhere. It wasn't until the day after my get off that my wrist really started hurting. If you're aching anywhere, start icing it and take something to deal with the swelling.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're not gonna stop riding because of this. Good luck getting the bike together and keep your head up! :cheers

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Daymn Jared...Glad to hear you are ok...let us know if we can do anything for you...

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Sucks that you crashed but great that you are OK.
Hope everything works out for the best.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
No way really to cheer you up except to say you will get her back together soon enough and be on your way. First and foremost you are OK and ABLE to put the bike back together. Alot harder sometimes to put yourself back together. Frame sliders are only about $60 and would have helped you out a lot!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am glad to hear you are ok. Just remember bikes and gear are replaceable, but there is only one of you. Happy to hear you made out ok, especially without any real injury.

Hope you get back on the saddle soon too. Thanks for sharing your story. I just started riding myself, and although I don't like to hear about people's misfortunes, I'm thankful that people post. We can all learn from what happens to others.

·
Registered
791 Posts
that bike looks damn near perfect still. But u will be riding even further bike from now on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is that a mesh jacket? It looks like it didn't shred too much or anything, I have one but I never trusted it before. Maybe I will not since I live in Phoenix and its hotter then hell here.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
hanglowejohnson said:
It just shows how in a split second things can change... if you would swerved you may have ran smack into the tow truck or worse...
I was just thinking I probably would have swerved to the right to avoid the van and the traffic on the left but would have BAM right into the back of the tow truck.

Good to see you came out rather unscathed. Now fix that bike up and get back out there :D

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot guys! :) As bummed as I am about the bike (I love that bike!! :cry ), I'm extremely thankful that I'm OK. I'm very close to my family and friends, and to think what it would be like for them if I didn't make it, really scares me. I don't want to put my family through that, and seeing how bad this could have been today with only going 60 mph, really makes me rethink some of the risks I take and the possible consequences. I will surely fix the bike and ride again, but I'm going to try and use this as a learning experience to help better myself as a rider. I do feel better though knowing that this happened because of an honest accident, and not my own fault because of me doing anything stupid. I wasn't speeding, wasn't tailgating, wasn't weaving or anything stupid like that, just cruising along and it just happened.

Anyways, time to start putting the bike back together. Gotta try and get it started first.... a couple of the wires in the front wiring harness got pulled apart and now the fuel pump isn't coming on. Gonna have to play around with that a little bit. With the exception of possibly the rear subframe, damage seems to be all cosmetic. I'll need all new plastics, sides front and rear. I'm still suprised though that it didn't touch the tank, and even more suprised the pegs are still perfectly straight!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
01WJ said:
Is that a mesh jacket? It looks like it didn't shred too much or anything, I have one but I never trusted it before. Maybe I will not since I live in Phoenix and its hotter then hell here.
Yea it's a mesh jacket... Fieldsheer Magnesium 1. For one of the more reasonably priced jackets, I think it did pretty damn good! I slid for quite a ways on my back before rolling a few times, and I was really suprised how well the jacket held up. Only the outer mesh part tore, the armour in the back, shoulders and elbows did exactly like it was supposed to, and none of the inner lining tore at all. I don't even have as much as a single scratch on any of my arms, shoulders, back, hands, anything. I'm very happy with it. Helmet also did it's job, even the visor stayed on for the most part, lol. It did pop off on the one side though, but still there. I guess my forehead must have bumped something inside the helmet that caused my little scrape on the forehead (very small, about the size of a baked bean). So to that I'm also very thankful. Oh yea, and I kissed my helmet when I got home. Without it, I doubt I'd be here typing this right now

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good to hear that your alright bro. You'll have that bike together in no time, you are in fact on the best sportbike web site in the world (LOL).
Good Luck and let us know how the rebuild goes!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts