Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It happened again. I was riding at about 9 o'clock at night following my buddies to the mall for some ice cream. We were sitting in an intersection trying to make a left turn but since there were so many cars coming the opposite way, we had to wait for it to turn yellow and for all the cars coming to stop. My buddies made it through the intersection alright and when i looked at the cars opposite me they were all stopped or slowing down. Out of the corner of my eye I see the light turn red so I figured I had to be in the clear. All of a sudden one of the cars that was slowing down sped up and I heard her honk at me right before she slammed directly into my engine and send me flying over her car. I landed on my left side and luckily didnt hit my head or back (I was wearing a brand new helmet). I crawled over to the side of the road and laid down (this is a very busy road ) to wait for help. There were some retired paramedics and a few riders who ran to help me so I knew I was in good hands. At this point the girl had ran out of her car unscathed but freaking out and she proceeds to try and blame it all on me despite the fact that she ran the light. It was at that time that I learn that she is 16 years old and this was her first day of driving alone so I start feeling bad for her and try to calm her down to no avail. Now heres the F'd up part, the officer that arrived on scene charged both of us with guilt despite the fact that the girl admitted that when she saw me she closed her eyes and covered her face. There were no lock-up marks from her trying to brake (she kept going straight without slowing down or trying to swerve) and her cars position was perfectly in the lane that she hit me in so it was obvious she didn't try and avoid me at all. I sat at the hospital all night long having them take x-rays and ct scans to check for internal bleeding and apparently with the exception of my horribly bruised left side I am fine. My bike got :urowned by that car hardcore and when they dropped it off at my house, the engine was ripped out of its mounts. The thing that I simply don't understand is that where she impacted was directly where my right leg was but my leg is fine. It should be gone right now so I'm having sort of a pulp fiction moment with the whole divine intervention thing. I am going to see a lawyer this week after I get that crap police report so that I can get insurance from her insurance company since I only have liability and it was her goddamn fault. What sucks is I was riding the new Ducati that my dad just bought and it is jacked. I want a new motorcycle but now everyone is encouraging me to get a car so its all going to come down to whether I can conquer my fear of these morons that drive here. On the upside I have another set of hospital pj's to add to my collection :) .

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Holy shit man.. glad your okay. Wow so you came out pretty much unscathed huh? Except for the bruises. If you have liability, you need to take this matter to court and make sure she gets the guilt. Also, you should have taken pictures of the scene but, ahah that's kind of unreasonable, considering you were fucking tboned by a car. Well, presented the situation, im sure you'll win the case. The cop was a dumbass. I guess his argument would be that you need to yield right-of-way to others first before making a unprotected lefthand turn. HOWEVER, the light was red and she ran it, which means it's her fault. But goodluck man. Glad you'rokay. I feel sorry for the damn Ducati though. What's a Ducati doing on Liability anyway?! Gluck w. everything

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks superstud. Heheh I'm a college student, I can't afford full coverage right now.

MaxDriver said:
If her light had turned red, hadn't yours as well? It seems to me that both of you went through a red light.
It turned red when I was already in the intersection since it was yellow when I turned. She wasnt in the intersection before it turned red (for some reason she slowed down for the yellow and then just went through after it had turned red. I'm sure you've had to wait until a light turned yellow to turn left before because theres so much traffic. I was in the intersection for a good 30 seconds of green then it turned yellow, I looked and everyone I could see including the girl appeared to have stopped so I turned. This is hardly a case of me running a red light.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
He was trying to turn left and she ran the red light at the intersection. He pulled out to complete the turn and she didn't stop like she should've. I'd punched the bitch in the teeth lol j/k. I'm glad you're okay. I would be doing some thanking to the guys upstairs for that one. Definetly call a lawyer and make sure her insurance takes care of all your medical bills and repair costs.

***Edit

I just re-read the post and actually it is both your faults. Her fault for running the red light and your fault for not yielding to oncoming traffic. I know someone who had the exact situation and even though the chick ran the red light she still got ticketed for not yielding.

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heheh,thanks I thought about yelling at her at first until I saw how young and histerical she was. I thought it would just make matters worse so I just tried to calm her down. Its got to suck to smash into a motorcyclist and send them flying through the air your first day of driving with a license and hopefully she'll watch for bikes from now on.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
In my short 10 years of driving, I'm super cautious now even if I have a green. If I'm approaching an intersection on my bike, I still slow down, often times downshifting around 20 yards away. You just never know. I've had one accident at an intersection, and I'll always go super slow through them, not worth it, IMO.

Good luck, glad you're okay.

·
Registered
426 Posts
1quick1 said:
I just re-read the post and actually it is both your faults. Her fault for running the red light and your fault for not yielding to oncoming traffic. I know someone who had the exact situation and even though the chick ran the red light she still got ticketed for not yielding.

He doesn't have to yield to them because their light is red. He is in the middle of the intersection completing a turn with the light turning yellow. He has the right away, or should of have in this case.

I live in a big city and there are times at some intersections where sitting out in the middle waiting for the opposite lane light to turn red and yours yellow is the only way to take a left.

·
Registered
248 Posts
NinjaBum said:
Thanks superstud. Heheh I'm a college student, I can't afford full coverage right now.

It turned red when I was already in the intersection since it was yellow when I turned. She wasnt in the intersection before it turned red (for some reason she slowed down for the yellow and then just went through after it had turned red. I'm sure you've had to wait until a light turned yellow to turn left before because theres so much traffic. I was in the intersection for a good 30 seconds of green then it turned yellow, I looked and everyone I could see including the girl appeared to have stopped so I turned. This is hardly a case of me running a red light.
Chill, no reason to get worked up into a ferver. You may believe you are less at fault b/c what you did is often tolerated, but that doesn't mean it was legal. What she did was blantantly illegal, though somewhat understandable. I've noticed that new drivers often misjudge yellows.

·
Registered
471 Posts
in many states its illegal to even be in the intersection if it isnt clear. Youre really supposed to wait behind the line and when its clear, THEN enter the intersection and turn.

Also many people dont realize yellow means caution... not speed up or proceed....

of course the above is what youre supposed to do, not what people actually do.

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
ever heard of the movie "unbreakable"? :eek: :headbang

·
Registered
68 Posts
You both technically ran a red light. The way you did it is usually overlooked but still not legal. It will be a no fault accident, and since you have liability you will not be covered.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just about the same set of circumstances happened to my friend (only both were cars) he was waiting to turn left and was in the intersection and when the light turned red he went because he was in the intersection and somebody hit him. They were both at fault.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Man oh man...I work in the ER at the hospital and we've seen some bad stuff recently...surprisingly I continue to ride despite seeing this stuff. But yah dude, I"m really glad you're ok, that could have been really really bad. As said by someone else, its probably best to be extremely cautious at lights and intersections as many accidents happen there. My friend and I were riding today and he was irked that i kept slowin down at intersections. My eyes are always on the other lane to see if someones gonna turn out in front of me, and I usually slow to about 35 to 40mph when approaching one. When i'm stopped and I'm the first in line at the light, I wait for a good 2-3 seconds after the light turns green b/c i've seen too many ppl just blowing through the light even after its red. I agree with you, it was the girls fault in this situation, but I'm sure thats not much consolation to you and ur injuries at this point. Be safe out there man, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Definitly get a lawyer first. I'm sure you have a good chance of getting them to pay for the damages since she did only start driving and only 16 at that. Whats the law for provisional licenses where you're at? Is there anything about driving after dark? Get your lawyer to look into that and the fact that you already began your turn and was in the intersection when the light began turning red. You also said you she was speeding up even when the light turned yellow. I'm sure there is something about that too.

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. How your leg didn't get stuck to her car as a new hood ornament, might never be answered.

Laws being different from state to state, your attorney will know what's what.

Way back when I learned to drive, I was taught that you enter the intersection when making a left and wait. If that means you wait until the light turns red before proceeding, so be it, that's not running a red light - that's clearing the intersection. The suggestion that you can't even enter an intersection until the turn is clear is rediculous. At some intersections you'd never be able to turn left without an arrow if that were true.

What she did, on the other hand is inexcusable.

Good luck. Maybe her insurance company will want to make an amicable settlement offer rather than run this through the courts for years.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Here in FL I've had FHP - and they're sticklers for traffic laws - tell me to WAIT till everyone is STOPPED, then GO, even if that means staying in the intersection right after the light turned red. I've gotten hit twice (back in my early caging days) because I did not wait, and now hold off till everyone is stopped. This, of course, if it's such a busy intersection that you don't get a chance to go while the light is still green.
Just the other day, a dick in an SUV got tired of waiting in the left-turn lane opposite mine, so during the yellow he jumps out from behind the car ahead of him and runs the red, hard on the throttle. That coulda been Bye-bye fotocycle had I not waited till it was clear to go.

Either way, glad you're OK, Ninja, that could've turned out a lot worse.

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your support guys. I'm not sure about the provisional license laws here and I'll definately be looking into it. Like I said I am definately going to see an attorney as the only way that I won't be hitching rides everywhere for a year is if I get a settlement.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts