Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
POP
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a little trip to East TN. this past weekend and thought I'd share some pics. Just for the record, I've never seen anything like Hwy. 129 in my life. Awesome road. If you get the chance, don't pass up riding in East TN. Western N.C. area great scenery and great roads

First pic is me next to deals gap sign
2nd is the infamous "Tree of Shame"
3rd looks as if someone on an fz6 went down on the dragon
4th beginning of the foothills parkway
5th view from the foothills parkway

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
pics

Great pics! Deals Gap is on my short list of roads to ride in this great country. Is that green bike a Kawi Z1000? It's the only bike I know of that has those mad pipes. How did the FZ do compared to it?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Awesome! I'm heading over to Deals Gap for a weekend in a couple of months. It's a long ride out there, but I've been wanting to go for a long time. Maybe there will be some shots of you over at killboy.com, too.

·
POP
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
tattoofizz said:
Great pics! Deals Gap is on my short list of roads to ride in this great country. Is that green bike a Kawi Z1000? It's the only bike I know of that has those mad pipes. How did the FZ do compared to it?

Yeah that's my friends bike. The FZ did pretty good. Usually he eats me up on the straights because of the displacement advantage but there are very little straights on the dragon so I stayed out in front of him a pretty good distance. To his credit, he's still getting used to the Z1K and he was always getting caught behind someone. The only thing I would really complain about on the FZ was the brakes got a little spongy. Some braided brake lines and fluid would probably take care of it but I'm waiting to do the R6 front fork mod and do it all at once.

Only seen one person down on the dragon. We were headed back to my sisters place on Sunday afternoon and one guy lowsided, he had the bike picked back up and was dusting himself off by the time we got there. Stopped to make sure he was ok. He was and the bike still ran. Also had an incounter with a semi on the dragon. It's the Aqua Glass truck on www.tailofthedragon.com I met him shortly before that picture was taken. When I met him I still had some lane to work with. When my friend passed him, he had very little lane to work with and almost got ran off the road. Gotta watch out for those. We ended up doing 188 mi. on Sun. and just over 300 on Mon. All in all a pretty good trip and I'll definitely be going back before the end of the year. One word of advice is to take it easy the first couple of times through and get a feel for it before you attempt to "slay the dragon" I would also highly recomend the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway but one piece of advice take a sweatshirt to wear underneath your gear. It was in the 90's at my sisters house but by the time you get up over 4 or 5000 feet it felt nice so if it's 80 degrees or below it could get pretty cool up there

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Actually one of my best friends has the Z1000 and we ride together alot. I think his is an 03' it's the orange one. The Fiz seems to hang pretty well with it just goofing around. We've never gotten on a long staight. When I first got my bike he kinda scoffed at it cause he has the Z. But after he rode mine he changed his tune. Now he has nothing but good stuff to say about it.

We are planning a blue ridge trip later in the fall. I've never done a road trip on a bike. I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great thread

Thanks for the pic's, makes all the difference.

I've heard for serious, 'HARD' riding it's best to stay off the dragon proper and hit all the twisty side roads? Can you recommend alternate twisties up there?

Many law enforcement to curb your enthusiasm?

I'm hoping to hit it during the week for best/least traffic situations. I'm thinking in the next couple of weeks when the cool will be welcomed in comparison to the beach. I would think the peak of summer is still much better than fall when all the leafers are up color gazing?

lemme know,

Thanks in advance!

·
POP
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are planning a blue ridge trip later in the fall. I've never done a road trip on a bike. I'm really looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

Just be careful. The Blue Ridge has great views and curvy roads. Make sure to STOP to look at the scenery because if you try to look at scenery while riding, it could be a bad thing. I know. I almost made a boo-boo

·
POP
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epee said:
Thanks for the pic's, makes all the difference.

I've heard for serious, 'HARD' riding it's best to stay off the dragon proper and hit all the twisty side roads? Can you recommend alternate twisties up there?

Many law enforcement to curb your enthusiasm?

I'm hoping to hit it during the week for best/least traffic situations. I'm thinking in the next couple of weeks when the cool will be welcomed in comparison to the beach. I would think the peak of summer is still much better than fall when all the leafers are up color gazing?

lemme know,

Thanks in advance!
Hey Epee,

Try www.tailofthedragon.com That's where I got a lot of info on local roads, maps, conditions of the roads, weather, best times of day and year to ride the dragon, law enforcement presense, etc. Tons of good info if your headed in that direction. Also met Ron, the guy that runs the website, while I was down there. Real nice guy.
As far as law enforcement while we were down there, I saw one Blount county sheriffs car and that was it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
ukdej79 said:
We are planning a blue ridge trip later in the fall. I've never done a road trip on a bike. I'm really looking forward to it.

Just be careful. The Blue Ridge has great views and curvy roads. Make sure to STOP to look at the scenery because if you try to look at scenery while riding, it could be a bad thing. I know. I almost made a boo-boo
And watch for deer if you ride Skyline Drive at the Northern end of the Parkway. I was amazed at the numbers of them when I was there a month or so ago and they're not shy about crossing the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts