Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic Safety Course ($180.00)
The basic rider course is geared towards beginner to novice riders. The class is comprised of 2 days and includes classroom and riding time. Upon completion of the course you will receive a TX DPS certificate that will waive the riding portion of the state licensing test It will also entitle you to insurance discounts and other benefits. After completing the course your skill and knowledge level should be that of a rider with 2 years of experience. We provide the bike. Can also be taken for ticket dismissal or deferred adjudication if court permits. Check the course objectives and the available dates below.

Well hey if I will have 2 years of experience...comeon now I know guys on this board that put 8k miles on a season. So i'll have...say 16k miles under my belt after 2 days. Haha im not actually serious guys, just dunno how accurate that statement is.

·
Registered
237 Posts
*note to all noobs, take the msf, this is just my experience. don't focus on how dangerous riding is, just know that you need to be careful and any experience you get and teaching you receive is a must. this is my opinion*

i took the msf to get my insurance down (which it really didn't help, I am 24 and ride a duc), I have no tickets and no accidents (knocking on wood heavily). The thing I really couldn't understand was why they didn't at least show some pictures of wrecks as a scare tactic. There were fresh riders in my class that had hayabusas and other >liter bikes and I know they couldn't handle the power just from observing their riding styles. I was really really unimpressed with difficulty of the course, it didn't weed anyone out, people that it should have.
If you knew me, you would know I am not bragging. I just thought it would help insurance and in my case it didn't. I think they should make it stricter but they kept insisting that they were focusing on a more "rider-friendly" approach. I scored a 100% on both the riding and the written portion.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The MSF course is to get you on two wheels in a safe environment. Throw in some good habits and concepts and you should be able to survive out in the wild. It's not designed to 'weed' out the wannabees versus the naturals. The scare tactic will just make people paranoid out on the roads. Thats deadly in itself. I would really hate to see some death gripping biker thinking that mr. death is around every corner. I think a confident respectful rider with road experience is what you want out on the roads. Rider-friendly gets results!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
I don't tell them they have 2yrs expereience, kinda ludicrious if you ask me........

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yellowduc said:
*note to all noobs, take the msf, this is just my experience. don't focus on how dangerous riding is, just know that you need to be careful and any experience you get and teaching you receive is a must. this is my opinion*

i took the msf to get my insurance down (which it really didn't help, I am 24 and ride a duc), I have no tickets and no accidents (knocking on wood heavily). The thing I really couldn't understand was why they didn't at least show some pictures of wrecks as a scare tactic. There were fresh riders in my class that had hayabusas and other >liter bikes and I know they couldn't handle the power just from observing their riding styles. I was really really unimpressed with difficulty of the course, it didn't weed anyone out, people that it should have.
If you knew me, you would know I am not bragging. I just thought it would help insurance and in my case it didn't. I think they should make it stricter but they kept insisting that they were focusing on a more "rider-friendly" approach. I scored a 100% on both the riding and the written portion.
i would say 10% fail out. what do you want the course to do......take newbs up to 60-70mph? the basics that are taught at slow speeds are used at 100mph......the course also stresses it's a personnal decision, and it's up the discretion of the rider. and it's their responsibility........to ride safe.

if they already HAD the bikes, what are you gonna do, tell them to sell it....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had about 2 years of riding under my belt and still picked up a few tops as well as corrected some bad habits along the way....

Question for you as an instructor Racer X When it comes to proper use of the front brake...all 4 fingers or is it ok in your opinion to just use two?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, theoretically you need to use all 4, more control and more pressure can be exerted. and it's pretty true. albeit after you get some miles 2 becomes common.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
My MSF class of 10 failed out 2 (OK, one failed the other self-selected to withdraw).

·
Registered
247 Posts
the msf course will give you a general idea of how to ride safe until you get some on road experience i reccomend it highly

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am aware of what the msf is and I have signed up to take it like in 3 weeks. just seems like what racer x said. saying u will have 2 years of xperience does seem a little ludacris

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just took the MSF course this last weekend in Dallas....I felt it went great and the teaching of good habits and correcting of bad ones makes you ride safer and more responsible....I dont agree with the 2 years experience statement although my brochure had that also..

·
Registered
46 Posts
arma said:
After completing the course your skill and knowledge level should be that of a rider with 2 years of experience.
You still don't have that time on the road dealing with real world situations. Nothing can replace real world experience.how many time in the course did a soccor mom on the phone almost run you over or someone in an SUV start into your lane on the expressway? Real life situations that untill they happen you can guess what you are going to do but how you react mey be very differnt. Don't get me wrong I think MSF courses are great, but making a broad statment saying they are equal to 2 years experience is just not true.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with busa. An MSF course, although a good experience for a noob, is no substitute for two years of real life survival skill.

I also had a major gripe with the four finger grip on the handles thing. I took the experienced rider course again right after I got the S3 and they were all over me about that. With the initial bite those brakes have it would be stupid to ride with four fingers. I would lock the front every time someone cut me off. Hell that's why I started using two fingers on the brake in the first place.

The Navy said I had to have an MSF card to ride on base so I got a day out of work to ride all day. I was stoked.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Tripped said:
I agree with busa. An MSF course, although a good experience for a noob, is no substitute for two years of real life survival skill.

I also had a major gripe with the four finger grip on the handles thing. I took the experienced rider course again right after I got the S3 and they were all over me about that. With the initial bite those brakes have it would be stupid to ride with four fingers. I would lock the front every time someone cut me off. Hell that's why I started using two fingers on the brake in the first place.

The Navy said I had to have an MSF card to ride on base so I got a day out of work to ride all day. I was stoked.
sounds like you need more practice w/ 4, cuz if you really needed th pressure, you wouldn't be able to get it w/ 2.........

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think the MSF should be similar to driver's ed is if it wants to really teach people how to ride. People passing the basic course shouldn't qualify to get a full license because the skills are just not there. MSF won't be like driver's ed due to the liability of it all, but the course really is basic. If it is going to count towards a license, it should only be the advanced course.

·
Registered
173 Posts
let the fools get bikes and then let the road sort the real riders out...it doesnt take long for a rider with no natural talent or skill to find his way into a guard rail or on his back...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I couldn't remember my password so I had to register again. That quote on our website is exactly that, a quote, and came from the MSF. For example what we're trying to say is that someone can ride on their own for 2 years and still not know what countersteering is. I guess it is a little misleading and we'll change it so we prevent any future flaming. Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts