Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going around a turn today, not pushing it that hard. All of the sudden the bike felt like it was going to lowside. I had it at about a 30 degree lean and it suddently went to about a 40-45 degree lean. I have a feeling I was leaning it over too much for the speed I was going.

I shifted my weight back up onto the bike and it felt fine after that. Scared the hell out of me though. The scariest part about it was that it happened instantly. Anyone know what happened?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did you counter steer the bars too much while in the turn?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very possible now that I think about it. Had no idea the bike would go down that fast.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
check both tire pressures.. My 6R did the same thing when I first bought it on the ride home. Felt okay during the beginning of my lean in, and then it just DROPPED on me, felt like it was gonna lowside.... EXACTLY the same thing as you describe. I never even thought about tire pressure.. Found out it was about 15 PSI low.. Check that first before looking at anything else.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like that was it, front tire pressure was about 15psi too low. Rear was a bit low too. Hopefully this wont happen again!

·
Registered
153 Posts
i alway try to check the tire pressure once a week so i dont have to worry about it at all
that happen once to me but not a second time

·
Registered
273 Posts
when you counter steer in a turn it'll lay the bike down as far as you want fast you just have to learn what your and your bike's limit is before it lowsides.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Could have been the rear sliding as well, it happens all too frequently to me on vegas slick roads despite race tires. :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
big_slacker said:
Could have been the rear sliding as well, it happens all too frequently to me on vegas slick roads despite race tires. :(
The race tires themselves could be your problem. Its hard to get a race tire up to temperature while riding on the street. The tires can be pretty greasy when cold...

Spektrum-SA1: You should definately keep a close eye on tire pressure. There isn't much room for error on a bike, and tire pressure plays a large part in the handling, and stability of the bike. I check mine before the first ride of every day. It takes no more than a minute.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
happened to me once in a left turn off of a stop light...scared the crap outta me..

two of my buddies...kazlab and gixxer42 were behind me...but said they didnt even notice anything...

scared the CRAP outta me..maybe i should check my tires.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Spektrum-SA1 said:
Was going around a turn today, not pushing it that hard. All of the sudden the bike felt like it was going to lowside. I had it at about a 30 degree lean and it suddently went to about a 40-45 degree lean. I have a feeling I was leaning it over too much for the speed I was going.

I shifted my weight back up onto the bike and it felt fine after that. Scared the hell out of me though. The scariest part about it was that it happened instantly. Anyone know what happened?
Are your tires squared off at all? Meaning worn a lot in the middle but not as much on the sides/edges. That type of wear is generally caused by a lot of interstate/straight line riding. If the wear is uneven and squared off it can cause the bike to "fall in" during a turn. Just something to check.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I need new tires. Still have the stockers from 01 on there.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Do motorcycles tires lose air that fast compared to car tires?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Motorcycle tires do seem to lose air a lot faster than car tires. I cant even remember the last time I put air in my car tires, I think when I first bought them.

My bike, I check it once a week. I am putting air in all the time it seems. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's a question.

Say the bike manual calls for 35 psi. But the tire itself calls for 45 psi. Which should you go by? Just wondering because i'm in this predicament, but I have it set to what the manual calls for.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
highfigh said:
Here's a question.

Say the bike manual calls for 35 psi. But the tire itself calls for 45 psi. Which should you go by? Just wondering because i'm in this predicament, but I have it set to what the manual calls for.
I'd stick in the range of 33 front 36 back. That seems to be the rule of thumb for most tires. Gotta also remember after riding, your tires will heat up and increase in tire pressure. Guessing if set at 36psi, heat would increase it to around 45psi during riding.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
"The race tires themselves could be your problem. Its hard to get a race tire up to temperature while riding on the street. The tires can be pretty greasy when cold..."

They come up to temp pretty quick actually, grip better, faster than the d207's I had on there before. They *are* a bit sketchy before they heat up. I think its more the streets here. My temp gauge showed 116 ambient yesterday and it hasn't rained in a long time. Add desert dust to that and you get the idea. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts