Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas racer dies from injuries in Pikes Peak wreck | Fox News

The Colorado Springs Gazette reports that the Flower Mound, Texas, man lost control as he tried to slow down on a gravel parking lot after crossing the finish line on Pikes Peak's 14,115-foot summit, landing on rocks.

He finished the event and then crashed. Just wow.

RIP

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that is terrible.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Godspeed, racer.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
damn. they pave the whole road but not the top parking lot?
Well, it should be remembered that, while this is a famous and longstanding race, the race isn't the only (or even the main) reason and use for the road. It's a public road, and the other 364 days of the year (weather permitting) it's a scenic drive for tourists. For that use, paving the road to the top is a benefit. And graveling the parking lot is (a) expensive and (b) not essential. They may get to it eventually, but it's taken them many years to complete the road, so it may not happen right away.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Dang, that sucks.

I'm actually planning on riding up to Pikes Peak tomorrow for the first time.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's never over. Sounds like he let guard down when he crossed the finish line. However, can't say for sure, maybe he wasn't expecting and/or didn't have much gravel road experience.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I was pissed when they paved pikes peak. Still am.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
IIRC, he ended up 4th.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh man hate to hear of anyone injured of killed on a bike.
Gravel God was not with him that day.
Old motorcyclist never die, they just buy a Harley and break down somewhere where no one can find them.

Don't believe in God so not going to pray!

Do offer the family and friends my condolences.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Deaths like these are always the worst. Most of the time when someone dies prematurely, you can say "it's his fault" or "he was doing something stupid". But this guy was on a closed course, doing what he loved as safely as he could. It was a sheer accident, and while I find it bizarre that there's a gravel parking lot immediately after the finish line... there's no one to really blame. It just sucks and it shouldn't have happened. I don't know if that helps or hurts the family's grieving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It says in the article he was "racing for the second time." It doesn't mention if it was his second time doing the race, or or second time ever racing, but he's pretty crossed-up in the picture they show of him racing. It doesn't seem like the gravel is the only thing to blame, but it's still a shame.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
^2nd time at the PP event for him. This is not one of those events that a rider goes into as an "intro to racing".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts