Sport Bikes banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
ASCI_Blue said:
I'm sure Bill Gates speaks a number of languages as does Linus Torvalds, the dude who created Oracle, and the CEO of IBM too. Yes..they have MUCH better jobs because they speak multiple languages. :rolleyes
Try arguing with them that Programming isn't a language. :pisson

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
license2ill said:
How many terms for snow do you know of? It all looks the same to you right? Powder, cement? Think of any others? Eskimos can tell you about 32, but you don't see it do you? Is that al labout presenting your thoughts dieferntly, or do you just not see things entirely?
Actually, my lack of knowledge about the finer points of snow stems from the fact that it snows here about once every 5 years, and thus means nothing to me. I would be willing to bet that if you take an olympic skier, who snow is his life, and he speaks nothing but english, he could still come up with plenty of ways to describe whatever snow you want described. There may not be a single word for it, but a lot of people have developed this talent where they group several words together to convey a complete thought.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
license2ill said:
Well, it's not easy to communicate to you when you just don't understand simple concepts.Idon't think you have any business bieng here in the first place, and I don't think I should be forcedto have to give you an argument or anything else. Just go back to where you came from.

Oh so now you determine who should be where? Simple concepts? You havent put forth any simple concept the only thing I see simple here is your mind.

Furthermore, I dont remember you starting this thread so go bite your pillow and come talk to me when you can formulate a complex thought.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Sibling said:
So because we can't find words to express things we make shit up as we go. I already told you that if both languages are taught they will learn them just fine. Also just because someone has an accent in English does not mean they don't understand you. You seem to think you know every immigrant in America and that none of them speak English.
Your twisting my words, moron...............

I didnt ever say that immagrants shouldnt speak their own language, thats fucking retarded. I said we should stop catering to them and give them motivation to speak our language..............ENGLISH, something you seem to have a hard time understanding.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
My family came here just over a hundred years ago, My grandparents were the last generation that were truely bilingual becuase our family understood the importance of being "Americans"
I'm still trying to figure out why you believe that your family was motivated to learn english while you simultaneously hold that "immagrants" are not.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
BusaDave said:
I'm still trying to figure out why you believe that your family was motivated to learn english while you simultaneously hold that "immagrants" are not.
What exactly dont you understand Dave?

My "immagrant" family came here, and adapted to the american culture, because we lived in an Italian neighborhood, at many times it could be just as easy to stick with Italian instead of speaking english. Hence why my family put that shit to an end. Our family wanted to be "American" or why else did we come to this land of opportunity?

Now you see a vast amount of catering to hispanics for the most part that make it too easy to not learn and accept the American culture.

Like I said Dave, if we decided to cater to all immagrants and just say fuck american culture, Id have nothing to be bitter about.

But tell me this..........How many Pakistani radio stations do you know of? Do you see Korean or Chinese writing under english writing at the grocery store? Do you see German or Polish or French being put up under anything english?

I sure as hell dont, I think the best thing Ive seen is an ATM that has about 10 languages on it.

So tell me Dave, how have I not made my case?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
hybrid said:
Oh so now you determine who should be where? Simple concepts? You havent put forth any simple concept the only thing I see simple here is your mind.

Furthermore, I dont remember you starting this thread so go bite your pillow and come talk to me when you can formulate a complex thought.
Boy, you really don't get it. Introspection, buddy, introspection.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
hybrid said:
What exactly dont you understand Dave?
First, it's IMMIGRANT, thus the quotes.

Our family wanted to be "American" or why else did we come to this land of opportunity?
I don't have a problem with whatever motive you ascribe to your family for coming here. I have a problem with the motives you ascribe to others (read Mexicans) for coming here.

Now you see a vast amount of catering to hispanics for the most part that make it too easy to not learn and accept the American culture.
I think you mean YOU see a vast amount of catering. What is this American culture you speak of? You mean speaking English?

Like I said Dave, if we decided to cater to all immagrants and just say fuck american culture, Id have nothing to be bitter about.
Oh I don't know, I'm guessing you'd find a way.

I'll ask again...what is this Americian culture you speak of? How is it in danger? How is your position and attitude saving it?

But tell me this..........How many Pakistani radio stations do you know of? Do you see Korean or Chinese writing under english writing at the grocery store? Do you see German or Polish or French being put up under anything english?
I don't know how many Pakisanti radio stations there are, nor do I care. Last I checked radio stations are profit-making entities (on a good day) that are privately or corporately owned and operated.

I can tell you that here in the big city there are plenty of Korean, Chinese, German, Polish and French, along with Mexican, Japanese, Thai, and many others. In fact Chicago has a HUGE Polish population and plenty of Polish establishments with Polish signs. We have Greek Town, China Town, etc. where people go specifically to experience that culture and cuisine. There are plenty of places both in and out of those areas with menus printed in the "native" language. Some of these people continue to speak their language amoungst themselves and continure to support their culture, some live in the suburbs, speak English all the time, and blend into the homogenous (and boring) suburban lifestyle.

So tell me Dave, how have I not made my case?
The case you have not made is the motives you ascribe to Mexican immigrants (pretty transparently) over those of your family. The roughly 100 years you speak of is two to three generations. How many immigants of ANY ethnicity do you know that two to three generations after arriving here do not speak English? I can tell you none that I am aware of.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
BusaDave said:
First, it's IMMIGRANT, thus the quotes.
Forgive my spelling Dave, sometimes the head works much faster than the hands.

BusaDave said:
I don't have a problem with whatever motive you ascribe to your family for coming here. I have a problem with the motives you ascribe to others (read Mexicans) for coming here.
When in any of my posts have I said anything about why mexicans come here? Matter of fact it goes all the way to south america so what the point in that? I have no problem with anyone coming to this country, legaly and peacefully.

BusaDave said:
I think you mean YOU see a vast amount of catering. What is this American culture you speak of? You mean speaking English?
Yeah that would be speaking english. That would also include not acting like a jackass and driving around with your old countries flag on your fucking hood. (thats actually a bad example, I know many a guido that pulls this same shit)

BusaDave said:
Oh I don't know, I'm guessing you'd find a way.
Clever enough, but at least Im thinking about it........

BusaDave said:
I'll ask again...what is this Americian culture you speak of? How is it in danger? How is your position and attitude saving it?
Dave you live in America and judging by your age posted on your avatar, you would know exactly what I am talking about. Im only 30 and I see a huge difference in what goes on.

BusaDave said:
I don't know how many Pakisanti radio stations there are, nor do I care. Last I checked radio stations are profit-making entities (on a good day) that are privately or corporately owned and operated.
Valid argument so I concede

BusaDave said:
I can tell you that here in the big city there are plenty of Korean, Chinese, German, Polish and French, along with Mexican, Japanese, Thai, and many others. In fact Chicago has a HUGE Polish population and plenty of Polish establishments with Polish signs. We have Greek Town, China Town, etc. where people go specifically to experience that culture and cuisine. There are plenty of places both in and out of those areas with menus printed in the "native" language. Some of these people continue to speak their language amoungst themselves and continure to support their culture, some live in the suburbs, speak English all the time, and blend into the homogenous (and boring) suburban lifestyle.
You dont have to tell me what chicago is, I was born and raised there in Cicero no less. And yeah we moved to the suburbs not long after I was in school. Not far from your uppity suburbanite town. Dont think I dont know anything about where you are.

You also have just described the very reason my family gave up its heritage, they didnt want us relying on living in "little Italy" while it actually existed.

BTW, my original family members struggled very hard to read and write in english, but they did it. Thats all Im asking for.......less catering and a bit more pride in the people wanting to be AMERICAN.........if you want to be it, you ought to try to be it.

BusaDave said:
The case you have not made is the motives you ascribe to Mexican immigrants (pretty transparently) over those of your family. The roughly 100 years you speak of is two to three generations. How many immigants of ANY ethnicity do you know that two to three generations after arriving here do not speak English? I can tell you none that I am aware of.
See my previous answer

101 - 109 of 109 Posts