Sport Bikes banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
license2ill said:
It has to doi with English being mandatroy, and that leading to English-only thought. We've been through this already.
Thats one of the dumbest things I actually read.

Youre reaching really hard for that bottom rung arent you?

I aint saying that immagrants shouldnt be allowed to speak the language, Im saying that we should enforce the use of english in this country. Sure its a hard language to learn, hell half the kids in america cant even use it properly but gimme a break.................you think coddling the immagrants and not giving them motive to learn it is helping anything?

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Funny...............the three deaf people I know can read and write in english every bit as good as I can.........

Whats your point, hate monger?

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
hybrid said:
Thats one of the dumbest things I actually read.

Youre reaching really hard for that bottom rung arent you?

I aint saying that immagrants shouldnt be allowed to speak the language, Im saying that we should enforce the use of english in this country. Sure its a hard language to learn, hell half the kids in america cant even use it properly but gimme a break.................you think coddling the immagrants and not giving them motive to learn it is helping anything?
Who says we're "coddling" immigrants? Last time I checked they are still dying by the hundreds trying to enter the United States, they are still doing the most menial, labor intensive work in our country, and they are still discriminated against for reasons other than the language they speak or don't speak. IMO, we spend too much time coddling our own fucking egos and not enough time working on the welfare of our fellow human beings.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
hybrid said:
Funny...............the three deaf people I know can read and write in english every bit as good as I can.........

Whats your point, hate monger?
Ask them how they feel about speaking it?

BTW, I'm left-handed, you watn me to be right-handed too? How about change my eye color to suit you? What other implications and restrictions would you like to put on us? Go ahead, they'll never include anythign that resembels your perception of self.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
sexyicecold said:
Who says we're "coddling" immigrants? Last time I checked they are still dying by the hundreds trying to enter the United States, they are still doing the most menial, labor intensive work in our country, and they are still discriminated against for reasons other than the language they speak or don't speak. IMO, we spend too much time coddling our own fucking egos and not enough time working on the welfare of our fellow human beings.
I should give a fuck about them dieing while trying to get here? Since we are obviously talking about the mexican border, why not have them try to get here legaly? Isnt that what they are supposed to do?

If I did something illegal and ended up dieing for it, you all would call me a fucking idiot and that I deserved it.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
license2ill said:
Ask them how they feel about speaking it?

BTW, I'm left-handed, you watn me to be right-handed too? How about change my eye color to suit you? What other implications and restrictions would you like to put on us? Go ahead, they'll never include anythign that resembels your perception of self.
How about I ask them..........your point is? Someone that cant physicaly do it is a bit exempt dont ya think? You want to equate a person thats deaf to an immagrant that doesnt want to speak the language in this country?

Your arguments are weak and boring.........

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
hybrid said:
How about I ask them..........your point is? Someone that cant physicaly do it is a bit exempt dont ya think? You want to equate a person thats deaf to an immagrant that doesnt want to speak the language in this country?

Your arguments are weak and boring.........
Absolutely, why don't you get it? Don't you understand English?

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
license2ill said:
Yep, you think in English terms, your thoughts follow the patterns of the language and the ideas contained within it.

A simple example of this is the Eskimo terms for snow and the Arabic words for camel. Another is the Spanish concept of the "no-fault se". A study in linguistics, communication, and sociology might reveal some larger concepts to many of the opinionated types in this thread.
Actually, if I spoke a different language, I would still think the exact same way, I would just present my thoughts differently.

That you would argue that my thoughts are dictated by the way they are presented is ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
EEfz6 said:
Actually, if I spoke a different language, I would still think the exact same way, I would just present my thoughts differently.

That you would argue that my thoughts are dictated by the way they are presented is ridiculous.
How many terms for snow do you know of? It all looks the same to you right? Powder, cement? Think of any others? Eskimos can tell you about 32, but you don't see it do you? Is that al labout presenting your thoughts dieferntly, or do you just not see things entirely?

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
I understand english just fine thank you.

Deaf is to immagrant as water is to sand.............your motive is weak and your argument child like.

Language does not dictate thought, thought dictates language.

Keep going though, its entertaining to see you piddle yourself trying to convey an absurd idea

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Sibling said:
He doesn't want to listen because he knows it all remember.
Oh thats cute.........Im sure you super knowledged and yet you come out with mental midget comments like this?

If you have such a valid argument why stand and hide behind license to ill?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
hybrid said:
Language does not dictate thought, thought dictates language.
While you are free to disagree, I believe there has been extensive research to indicate both are true. It doesn't seem incredibly hard to realize that if a language does not have a word or constuct to express a thought, that the underlying culture would either not have the context for that thought to have even existed or that the thought would have a different underlying meaning.

While I am not a huge fan of philosophical arguments like, "How do you know you exist?", I am left with simple answers like, "If I didn't I wouldn't be arguing with you!".

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Im going to go ahead and disagree.........

a prime example would be how the english language constantly evolves while most others tend not to.

The word "aint" wasnt a word for years, but because thought dictated so it became a word. We use thought to make a word and thought makes its definition.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
license2ill said:
Feel free to get educated on linguistics and communication while you're at it.
Cute, you can hide behind Dave while sibling hides behind you.

Ive yet to see you put anything of substance on the table. More mindless bantering out of you?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
hybrid said:
Cute, you can hide behind Dave while sibling hides behind you.

Ive yet to see you put anything of substance on the table. More mindless bantering out of you?
Well, it's not easy to communicate to you when you just don't understand simple concepts.Idon't think you have any business bieng here in the first place, and I don't think I should be forcedto have to give you an argument or anything else. Just go back to where you came from.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
hybrid said:
Im going to go ahead and disagree.........

a prime example would be how the english language constantly evolves while most others tend not to.

The word "aint" wasnt a word for years, but because thought dictated so it became a word. We use thought to make a word and thought makes its definition.
So because we can't find words to express things we make shit up as we go. I already told you that if both languages are taught they will learn them just fine. Also just because someone has an accent in English does not mean they don't understand you. You seem to think you know every immigrant in America and that none of them speak English.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts