Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another goodie from an eBay seller. The eBayer posts the following in one of their auctions (perhaps all of them?)

We are in NJ, USA and only speak English.
So if you speak any other language I guess you're pretty much f*cked, right? Whether you find that acceptable or not, I guess is really the issue. However as a business manager, I would not include that in my auction or ad. Spanish or French speaking customers need service? Hire an account representative that can assist your customers! Why disenfranchise potential or existing customers? They'll go elsewhere, and you lost a sale. I'm surmising that this business has a sizeable amount of non-English speaking customers. What's the deal with the bad business?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR600F4i-F4i-01-04-Chain-QA-Size-Steel-Sprocket-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35600QQitemZ4586783558QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
mikem317 said:
Here's another goodie from an eBay seller. The eBayer posts the following in one of their auctions (perhaps all of them?)



So if you speak any other language I guess you're pretty much f*cked, right? Whether you find that acceptable or not, I guess is really the issue. However as a business manager, I would not include that in my auction or ad. Spanish or French speaking customers need service? Hire an account representative that can assist your customers! Why disenfranchise potential or existing customers? They'll go elsewhere, and you lost a sale. I'm surmising that this business has a sizeable amount of non-English speaking customers. What's the deal with the bad business?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR600F4i-F4i-01-04-Chain-QA-Size-Steel-Sprocket-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35600QQitemZ4586783558QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
Simply put, its bad business. But thats their choice so let em miss out. They have no obligation to cater to non-english speaking potential consumers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
I can understand their frustration at receiving a bunch of emails they can't understand, but there are certainly numerous sites that can be used to translate. If they are shipping worldwide, they should be thoughtful of that. If you want the business, you should be willing to do what it takes. If not, fuck off, and don't worry about what you don't understand about your worldwide sales numbers.
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
You guys are fucking pansies.........

A) English is the international language

B) Our country was founded with english as its national language.

C) My family as well as many others came to this country and not only accepted, but took the american culture as their own.

Any of you that believe catering to the non english speaking people is a good thing are fools that are only hurting the culture your families fought and died for.

My family came here just over a hundred years ago, My grandparents were the last generation that were truely bilingual becuase our family understood the importance of being "Americans"

The fact that these people blatantly say they only speak english and it offends you cracks me up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
I don't really see anything wrong with that. It's simply a disclaimer. Kind of like when you see a commercial on tv that has a phone number and it says se habla espanol. This guy is simply saying no se habla espanol, primera ingles. While it would definately help his business out having some bilingual people working for him, i don't see it killing him either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,922 Posts
I don't think it was meant as derogatory. They ship world wide and apparently they receive calls from all over.

Besides, I don't care. That's a decent price for that chain and sprocket set.
You are free to shop elsewhere.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
hybrid said:
You guys are fucking pansies.........

A) English is the international language

B) Our country was founded with english as its national language.

C) My family as well as many others came to this country and not only accepted, but took the american culture as their own.

Any of you that believe catering to the non english speaking people is a good thing are fools that are only hurting the culture your families fought and died for.

My family came here just over a hundred years ago, My grandparents were the last generation that were truely bilingual becuase our family understood teh importance of being "Americans"

The fact that these people blatantly say they only speak english and it offends you cracks me up.

Chinga tu madre.
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I don't know about this specific business but, since it's on eBay, chances are it's just some guy working from home. You don't hire "account representatives" at that level. Plus, my girlfriend runs one of these on eBay and she doesn't ship outside of the US due to fraud so I don't think there's really a point in speaking a language other than English.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
hybrid said:
You guys are fucking pansies.........

A) English is the international language

B) Our country was founded with english as its national language.

C) My family as well as many others came to this country and not only accepted, but took the american culture as their own.

Any of you that believe catering to the non english speaking people is a good thing are fools that are only hurting the culture your families fought and died for.

My family came here just over a hundred years ago, My grandparents were the last generation that were truely bilingual becuase our family understood the importance of being "Americans"

The fact that these people blatantly say they only speak english and it offends you cracks me up.
I like your points but I don't think English is the national language. We were very seriously considering French at the time and I don't believe we've ever established a national language.
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
Youre correct we as a country havent ever decided that it would be the "announced" language.

However...........the majority of this country does use english as its primary language. So one could use that as the effective propaganda for english being the national language.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
cycledesign said:
I like your points but I don't think English is the national language. We were very seriously considering French at the time and I don't believe we've ever established a national language.

English is the international business language, and that is a fact. If people can't seem to handle that, then tough shit. People don't have to speak it, but they shouldn't expect people to go out of their way to help them.
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
Quicksilver98 said:
English is the international business language, and that is a fact. If people can't seem to handle that, then tough shit. People don't have to speak it, but they shouldn't expect people to go out of their way to help them.
Actually english is the international language period. More countries speak english than any other lanquage.

To be an international..........pilot, boat captain (yada yada yada) you must speak english in a pretty fluent amount.
 

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
hybrid said:
Youre correct we as a country havent ever decided that it would be the "announced" language.

However...........the majority of this country does use english as its primary language. So one could use that as the effective propaganda for english being the national language.
Maybe the majority of this nation speaks english, but there are over 38 million spanish speaking people living in the U.S., not to mention the entire island of Puerto Rico. It's absurd to ignore this huge number of people. Hispanics are now the largest minority of all races and are the majority in some states, including Texas, New Mexico and California.

The reason people speak English in the U.S. is due to warfare, not due to choice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,922 Posts
sexyicecold said:
The reason people speak English in the U.S. is due to warfare, not due to choice.
:eek:nfloor :lao
I speak several languages. English by choice. Actually, all of them by choice.
If the growing minority Latino population becomes the majority, will predominant Spanish language use be by warfare, or choice?
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
sexyicecold said:
Maybe the majority of this nation speaks english, but there are over 38 million spanish speaking people living in the U.S., not to mention the entire island of Puerto Rico. It's absurd to ignore this huge number of people. Hispanics are now the largest minority of all races and are the majority in some states, including Texas, New Mexico and California.

The reason people speak English in the U.S. is due to warfare, not due to choice.
I completely dissagree.

When all the other nationalities came here by the tens of thousands.....people gave up their old nationality identity to become american. When you decide to cater to the ever growing population of hispanics instead of coercing them to accept the standards in this country you make a country lose an identity not an immigrant.

You want to condone and cater to it.........do it equaly for all languages. Otherwise its discrimination. If people dont want to speak english, they can go back where they came. Its pretty simple really.

I see Russians, Greeks, Jews, Italians, Pakistanis and a myriad of other races making a solid effort to be part of the "AMERICAN" people.

For you to say any other way is right is blasphemy
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
hybrid said:
You guys are fucking pansies.........

I hope u weren't talking about me, if so maybe u should reread my post...






Travis71902 said:
Simply put, its bad business. But thats their choice so let em miss out. They have no obligation to cater to non-english speaking potential consumers.
 

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
Joined
·
8,497 Posts
Travis71902 said:
I hope u weren't talking about me, if so maybe u should reread my post...
What the part of it being bad business? Yeah thats a gay rationalization for catering to others.

If your doing international business, your clientel should have a good translator program or, speak english. It is after all the international language.

I happen to do alot of international business and they all speak english to me!
 
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Top