Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just went through my 2nd cable lock that I used to lock my jacket and helmet to my bike as long as I'm somewhere that's decently safe. It's one of those retractable ones that have a thin wire that's cuttable if someone brought wire cutters, but just enough to deter an honest person that might have considered jacking my stuff if it were just sitting on the bike for anyone to take.

I think the speed of my bike frays the wire over time and it just broke after 3-5 months of use. I had another one which I lost probably because same thing happened, this time it just happened while it was already parked. So is there a better way to carry these things on the bike or a better way to lock stuff to your bike?

4603D - Retractable Combination Cable Lock : 1st-In-Padlocks.com

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you park your bike, find someone, give them $10 to watch your shit.

Go shopping at A&F, get your latte then go home.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
does the bike have grab handles for the passanger seat?

get a cable, wrap it around the grab handles when you ride.

when you park use that cable to lock your stuff to the bike.

it is cheap, easy, and somewhat effective.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the bike have grab handles for the passanger seat?

get a cable, wrap it around the grab handles when you ride.

when you park use that cable to lock your stuff to the bike.

it is cheap, easy, and somewhat effective.
no dont have those it's a ninja 650. But even if I had grab handles it wouldn't solve the problem to keep the cable lock from fraying while I'm riding. I want to let it dangle somehwhere but the thin cable can't handle the high speeds so it frays overtime.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It's obvious that your Ninja 650 is just too damn fast. Get a moped. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
just dig through the trash and find bloody tampons, place them on your helmet and jacket. they will be there when you return.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Plastic coated cable on your lock? Or a little bag. Crown Royal used to come in a little purple bag. If status is important, order a Kangaroo Scrotum pouch;
kangaroo scrotum purses and pouches

Then you keep your lock in the scrotum and tie the scrotum to part of your bike.
The license plate bracket might work. :leaving

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
no dont have those it's a ninja 650. But even if I had grab handles it wouldn't solve the problem to keep the cable lock from fraying while I'm riding. I want to let it dangle somehwhere but the thin cable can't handle the high speeds so it frays overtime.
your just letting the cable dangle? as in unsecured? and then wondering why it frays?

fuck it.

jetfalcon, for you this problem is unsolvable. you are completly right. nothing you can do.

for other new riders, looping a cable to secure it does work. i have done it, many times.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I was cleaning my shotgun and had a thought. The cable locks used to safe the shotgun are very tough. They also make them for pistols. Rubber coated, I seriously doubt they will wear out any time soon. Not sure how you secure the jacket. Through a sleeve? I can't remember seeing one with a cable long enough for that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was cleaning my shotgun and had a thought. The cable locks used to safe the shotgun are very tough. They also make them for pistols. Rubber coated, I seriously doubt they will wear out any time soon. Not sure how you secure the jacket. Through a sleeve? I can't remember seeing one with a cable long enough for that.
There are metal loops on the sleeve, so I just stick it through there and lower the sleeve to the lock height. So I dont have to loop it through the sleeve.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is. Get a decent cable lock and coil it up and store it somewhere on your bike while you're not using it. I've got a 3/8", 6' OnGuard cable that fits under the rear seat cowl of my '07 GSXR, along with the power commander that's already in there. Believe me, there is very little room to store things on that bike but I manage to get a nice cable coiled up tight enough to fit.

With a cable that size you should have no problem locking a jacket and helmet to your bike.

Here's my old gsxr600 with two jackets and a helmet cable locked to it. The jackets are layered together, sleeve in sleeve, and the helmet is on the tank underneath. The cable runs through one set of sleeves, the helmet, and the steering head.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
To understand the problem you need to pick out the weak link .. The bike , The jacket , The helmet , The lock , The carpark , The JetFalcon . Once you have selected the weak link then you can easily spot the problem .
Makes me think of this classic...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts