Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out last night, and i'm not too far from Americade - going on in lake george. So there are riders out everywhere where i was riding last night. I was passing a bunch of people (older folks on cruisers just hanging out in the right lanes). So I was wondering, how do you folks go about waving to people you're passing on bikes.

I either wait until i'm somewhat passed them and put my hand out, and or while i'm passing give them a side nod. I don't want to be the dick that doesn't wave, just because you are passing them, but it's awkward to wave to them...

Matt

·
Registered
203 Posts
I give a side nod when I pass, but most cruiser guys don't give a sh!t anyhow. I've always gotten zip from cruiser guys around here. Sometimes I just want to give the one-finger wave. Otherwise, it shouldn't seem awkward. Just and acknowledgement that you both are enjoying the world on two wheels seems to be universally sufficient if they're not dickheads.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
depending on how & where I'm riding I either give them a low wave (extending my arm out) or if I'm cruising pretty quick, on a turn or something I give a half-assed wave simply by lifting my fingers up on the grip. If I'm passing a group of Harley "studs" and none wave, I either won't wave or just stop waving. Also, I've seen people wave going the opposite way on the freeway which is when I usually don't wave b/c I'm probably cruising around 70-80 and they're going the opposite way 5 lanes over! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always wave to every motorcyclist regardless of whether they wave or not, just stick that left arm out there and give a wave. I dont care if they wave back or not though, if not that is there problme.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ed1le said:
depending on how & where I'm riding I either give them a low wave (extending my arm out) or if I'm cruising pretty quick, on a turn or something I give a half-assed wave simply by lifting my fingers up on the grip. If I'm passing a group of Harley "studs" and none wave, I either won't wave or just stop waving. Also, I've seen people wave going the opposite way on the freeway which is when I usually don't wave b/c I'm probably cruising around 70-80 and they're going the opposite way 5 lanes over! :)
I'm one of those guys. We have an HOV lane (high occupuncy vehicle) and motorcyclists are allowed to take it. It is the far left lane on either side of the highways (maybe 3 highways have them) and so you're only a concrete barrier away from a passing motorcyclist. I wave to them fools... I could almost give them a high-five.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just got a mental image from that of two guy on bikes trying to high five each other with a combined closing speed of what, 180+ mph. That just made me cringe, LOL

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use to wave to everyone. But after not getting a wave back from guys on cruisers I stopped waving at them. I only wave if they wave first. I wave to all sport bike riders usally we both start to wave at the same time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was riding my dads Shadow 750 the other day and waved to 3 consecutive crotch rockets and none waved back, one of them just looked over and gave a look of discontent, and he was the one riding without a helmet. Oh well, what can you do.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
I wave to everyone. Scooters included. If I'm outside of town, I wave to bicyclists too.

Many times it seems like cruisers respond to my wave, as if they wouldn't wave if I hadn't. If both people wait for the other one, they'll just both think the other is a dick.

As for passing other bikes, usually i only nod. haven't thought of a nicer way to do it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
there have been about 12 threads in the past 3 days about waving..we have some attention starved mofo's up in this piece.. wave to everyone, they dont wave back, fuck em..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ugh. There are so many bikes in Texas I absolutely don't wave to them all. Plus, I'm a motorcycle commuter and my bike is my tool, not just something cool to do on sunny Fridays.

I hardly ever wave anymore, either to cruisers or sportbikes. Just too damn many of 'em. It doesn't mean I don't love it, but most bikers are just another motorist to me.

maximumrob

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I usually wait till I'm just in front of them and throw my left hand in the air. Since I'm ahead of them I have no idea if they wave back.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
njssli22 said:
there have been about 12 threads in the past 3 days about waving..we have some attention starved mofo's up in this piece.. wave to everyone, they dont wave back, fuck em..
Yeah...I should start one to get some more points :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hell, over the winters here I can go for days without seeing another bike on my commute. You bet I wave. Less so on recreational rides, since those riders seem less inclined.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pretty weird, went for a short cruise today and bikes were everywhere, sadly they were all cruisers. I waved at them all and surprisingly they all waved back, pretty cool.

·
Where's my bike???
628 Posts
I put out the piece sign, kinda out to the side. If the person acknowledge me I curl my pointer finger as they go by :finger .

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I wave to everybody. But lately (ever since I've gotten the K5 1000) I get a wave back maybe 50% of the time. I don't get it. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts