Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was raised, I was raised that basically you have your word and if you give your word to someone, you can take it to the bank.

here is the scenerio:

I saw a bike the day before the mother's day weekend, I asked the guy "Hey, I'm going racing I'm not going to be able to see the bike until I get back, will you hold it for me and let me see it monday afternoon?" The guy says, "sure, not a prob" I go racing expecting to pick up a pretty sweet R6 when I get back into town and the dude SOLD the frigging bike out before I even had a chance, even though I had told him I was VERY interested in it. And would most likely buy it upon inpection. Okay, so I'm irritated, but not a big deal, shit happens.

Okay, again, same scenerio:

I see a bike on the local forum, again, I talk to the dude, a couple of different times, I tell him I have to leave tomorrow (thursday) at 10 and I'm working tonight (I see it like Tuesday and I work Wednesday as well), I'm racing at BHF in Illinois over the weekend, can I come see it on MOnday, YOU pick the time. The dude says "sure, how about noon?" I agree (even knowing I'm not getting back until like 7 or 8 in the morning and will be dog ass tired, for a good deal on R6...I'll stay up). I get home and check my email so I can get the dudes number, and he sends me an email, Hey wanted to let you know I sold the bike today (dated yesterday)

I am so FUCKING pissed off right now I can't hardly see straight. This is the second time this has happened that someone agreed to something and they turned around and sold it out from under me even though they agreed and said that would be fine. WAS I RAISED WRONG? I jsut feel if waitng a day or two extra is too much, they could have said, sure, but if i get a chance to sell it early, I"m going to. or something to that effect. I was raised, If I told someone something like this, you can bet your ass i would've either said sure and had the frigging bike here waiting for you when you said OR I would've said sure, but if someone comes along I'll call you and let you know so you can still have an opportunity to see it first (since you contacted me first)

DAMN! :boid These bikes were great deals (local), tracked prepped and ready to race. They were older versions R6's but, really, overall,they were good deals.With extras and I REALLY REALLY need an R6 for the track. My liter land missle threw my ass down the track this weekend. It just isn't set up for small technical tracks.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I was always told if it is a girl or damn good deal to get it now and not waite because some one else is going to see the same good deal as you did and they will get it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Money talks.

There are so many people that say "i'll give you this for it" but never show.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Money does talk..this isn't like a store where they may have more inventory. If you want it..then you need to get it otherwise someone else will scoop it up. I have tried to sell big items and have had people tell me to hold it, have done it and they don't show up with anything, or even show up at all!! (ie trying to sell my 250 on my own!!)

Sorry but I am not waiting for someone, just because they said they were interested in it! Someone has the cash in hand, great...they are getting what I have to sell. If someone wants to put a small deposit on it..THEN I will hold it for them.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Personally, if you were the first person to call me if I were selling a bike, then I'd atleast give you a chance to check it out and make an offer. If someone else checks it before you do (but you were the first person interested), I'd take their offer and counter it with you. I'd make more money that way cause I know the bike would be sold....but to who would be the question.

Unless of course someone offered me an ungodly amount of money before you (the first interested) got to see the bike. Time also could be a factor if you couldn't make it to see the bike for more time than I had to sell it.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Like others have said money talks. You're also looking at it one sided. What's the say you won't show up and they have turned away 2 sales waiting on you? (not saying you would). They don't know you, they don't know if you'll be back. A deposit is always a good idea.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
simply put if they said they'd wait for you then they should have waited.....they should have told the other buyer that they had promised to show the bike to another and that if she didn't buy it then they could.....
it's not about $$$$ it's about respect - if you say you're gonna do something then do it or else don't say you're gonna do it.....

sorry you got screwed.....
wanna buy an 01 gsxr 600 :neener

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Maybe you could have gone to work a little late or called in sick? Or he could have met you at your job during lunch and you could have gotten it all done.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Waiting would have been the right thing to do. Honestly, I doubt I would have waited either. Like someone else said, so many people say they are interested but never do anything about it. If I need to move something, I'm gonna take the first opportunity to get rid of it and make some money.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm with you silent,if you give your word,you should stick to it.After all,it's the only thing you have that can't be taken away.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
alaska cajun said:
I'm with you silent,if you give your word,you should stick to it.After all,it's the only thing you have that can't be taken away.

+1 It takes a lot for me to back out on something I promised and even if I did a courtesy call is always in respect, unless I need to jump into a phone booth and put my superman clothes on to save the world.

On the otherhand maybe its a sign from god saying dont buy a Yamaha :)

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I went through about four deadbeats in my search for an interceptor before I actually got a decent guy. Most of them didn't show up (two offered to bring the bike to me) and caused me to miss work (I wasn't working while I was waiting for them to show), or told me the bike was mine since I had cash in hand, only to tell me they sold it to someone who LOWBALLED them. People today suck. Your word is, essentially, all you got. No amount of money will buy you credibility and respect. Someday people will get that through their heads...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Personally, I don't know that I would have held it for you if someone else can there and could pay for it in person first.

The only reason why is because my experience with selling things is that like 90% of people who call or say they are going to come check it out flake out. I sold some gym equipment on craigslist... brand new in the box... for about 20% of retail price. I had people telling me they'd come by that night or whatever, no one ever showed up. Until finally I got sick of it and cashed it out for ridiculously low to the first person who actually came.

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
after selling a few things I learned the hard way. I dealt with several people who said that they wanted to look "tomorrow" etc... and I waited, only to be blown off. Now as a seller, first come first serve. I had to rerun an ad a year ago because I was nice and held something, and the prick didnt come back as promised. I understand your fustration, but money talks baby.........

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea, I had the same thing happen to me when buying this bike. Had at least 5 people pull out and sell to someone else before i could get here. So when this bike came up I called he guy and said i will be there tonight if you can't wait. Went the next day an threw 4500 down.

If it was me and you were going to pay the full price and was early after listing it within a couple weeks I would hold if for someone. What he should have said is "I can't garentee anything, if someone else comes with cash SOL"

The thing that ruins it Silent R1 is the azzholes who's word isn't able to be taken to the bank. I admire people who do what they say and say what they do. Like Elvis said too many people say they are going to do something and then never do it, it's people like that that ruin things. NO, you were not raised wrong.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think those of you that are saying you would've sold it is missing the boat. The whole point is not money talks, I am not disputing that, the seller could've told me they would've not held it if someone else showed up first or at least given me a call to let me know. NO, I would've not flaked out. That isn't my style and not how I was raised. I wasn't asking for someone to pass up a sale, I'm asking for those people out there that say, yes, I"ll hold it to either a) hold it or b) to say no I won't. It isn't a hard idea. I was completely willing to pay the asking price and had no intention of lowballing them.

And no, I could not've called in sick I'm a nurse. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week (scheduled, this was one of my scheduled shifts not an extra). It would've been unethical to call in sick to go look at a bike, besides, I work at night 7p-7a.

okay edit: I guess I haven't been clear...I did not ask the seller to hold either bike. I asked them to let me come and look at them. My whole point was they told me I could come and look at the bikes, then sold them before I had the chance. I am not disputing that, my whole problem is they could've called me and let me come over or at least let me know so I could've said yes, I"ll come now or no I can't that's cool. I had first contact, I should've at least had the option. I dunno, I guess I expect to much.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Asking somebody to hold something that you're interested in and might want to buy upon inspection is not a proper expectation to begin with, you shouldn't be trying to put someone in that position, all they want to do is sell something, not get caught up in your decisions or promises.

I could understand some self-frustration at missing-out on a deal, but don't bring the poor bastard that just wants to sell his stuff into it. It would have been nice, but you had no word to keep in the deal, and absolutely nothing to lose in the process.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I think he should stick to his word, but history says most "hold it for me until ..." never show.. When selling my wifes Ninja 250, had a guy say I'll take it for $1900, just hold it until Friday.. Someone else calls, said $2100, pay today.. told him already have a buyer, coming friday.. sorry.
Friday comes, and no buyer.. no answer to phone calls, nothing.. finally sold it for $1700. Lost $400 because of my word.. Wont happen again.. You got the moolah, you got the bike.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
<scarface voice on>i only have 2 things in this world: my word and my balls and i don't break either or 'em for anybody<scarface voice off> or something like that....
if you give someone your word then you keep it - otherwise you're a piece of shit....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts