Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the situation... (which I will be calling the dealer about on Tuesday)... Hopefully someone has something positive to say, as waiting till tuesday is gonna get on my nerves.

This IS a warranty thing, not a TPS thing (topic-wise), however it does have to do with the TPS. My warranty is up in about two weeks, and I have since moved away from where I purchased the bike. I had TPS troubles around the 600-1000 mile mark (erratic idle and gaseous exhaust, mainly) and took it to the dealer, and they had no clue, never seen anything like it (I was actually the first person on this forum to bring up the TPS issue). Right before I moved from Houston, it went away, and only resurfaced once for a day in St. Louis. I called the dealer there and they didn't have time for it or something dumb like that. Anyway - about a week ago (around the 4200 mile mark - no jokes about mileage!) it came back and has been giving me shat ever since. I am about to roll over the 5k mark. There was nothing wrong at the 4k service interval, and the dealer here said they can't take me for about two weeks.

Here is the issue - I am moving to California in a week and my bike is being shipped (~two week delivery time). My warranty will be expired by the time I get out there and a dealer can see me.

So... since the problem surfaced and was diagnosed, but not fixed, a LONG TIME AGO - can I get around the expiration of my warranty and get this fixed? Like I said, I am going to call the dealer on Tuesday ( I hate the places that close Sun-Mon). Should I purchase the extended warranty, as I can get it for $450 - and the TPS work sounds like it runs about $300.

Sorry about the long, unorganized post - I am just bummed about this whole thing. Thanks for any input or ideas!

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
well buddy if i were you, i would get that ex-warranty, i bought my baby used, and my main selling point for me was the week left in factory warranty, giving me time to purchase the ex-warranty. i got it off ebay, for pretty cheap, cant remember price but less than 500 for the 4 year plan. since then i have already put it in use (tps stuff)
but during the next 3 years and 8 months, who knows what will go wrong. after all it was the first year for this puppy in U.S. specs, so you know there is probably another factory dud somewhere along the lines! i would un-ass the cash for that warranty.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Someone on here recently had their TPS replaced, and they did it out of pocket. I want to say it cost somewhere between $100 and $200 to have the sealership do it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will go wit the ex-warranty, mainly b/c I think I can ask the guys in Houston (where I got the bike) to give me the "almost cost" price for it, since they will never have to do any work on it... we'll see...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go for the extra warranty, I am planning geting my as soon as I got 1 month left. Whatever gets f...up in that bike it will always be cheaper if you have it covered by warranty.

·
Registered
686 Posts
my dealer replaced the TPS on mine. I paid an hour of labor ($78) plus the TPS ($~100) which I already had and gave them.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okie dokie... well, I called my original dealer and they said that they would vouch for me to Yamaha that the problem (TPS) has been there but was never corrected. So no worries about the approaching exp. date of my warranty!

On another note, I can not believe the markup that dealers put on the extended warranty. Also - Yamaha recently ok'd a 48 month warranty on the FZ6 for like $60 more than the 36 monther. My dealer wants $650 for the 48 and like 590 for the 36, while you can get the same thing at "closer to cost" from an online dealer for .... drum roll... $475 and $350 - so it looks like I will be extending my warranty for a bit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts