Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever noticed a lot of fluctuations in what the fuel levels? It varies a lot for me throughout a given day. I'm thinking it might have to do with the temperature changing the pressure in the tank.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Has anyone ever noticed a lot of fluctuations in what the fuel levels? It varies a lot for me throughout a given day. I'm thinking it might have to do with the temperature changing the pressure in the tank.

Any thoughts?
Probably just from it sloshing around in there. I doubt the pressure has any real effect. Maybe a little expansion/contraction from the temp changes but not that much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fuel tank should be vented all the time, no pressure changes should be evident. Fuel level sender looks to be a float type ( haven't pulled it - maybe someone who has pulled the pump could post). Maybe with friction in the sending unit combined with sloshing makes it stick on occasion.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It generally does it when it's sitting. It'll show one thing in the morning, I'll ride somewhere, it'll sit out in the sun, and when I come back the gauge sometimes reads higher.

Maybe it's the increased temp. causing the fuel to expand as it heats up?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you could be parked on a slant for one of them, acceleration and decelleration change the fuel level. its all sloshing probably.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The way fuel guages work in modern vehicles is that they give you the average of values over a given period of time, to account for the sloshing and elevation changes.

Now, if you're parked on an incline/decline for any amount of time (or at a stop on an incline/decline) for a period of time which is longer than the sample time for the fuel guage system obviously the average will be a constant and the reading will be skewed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Average will be a constant? Dude you're slipping. Don't drink at work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine does the same usually at the lower level. I can come home and be on the last bar, park it up overnight then in the morning it will be on 2 bars. Start it up and ride a bit it'll drop back down to the 1 bar. You're basically tilting the tank right over when it's parked it's bound to be wrong :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yes, if you're not moving... sitting on an angle and nothing sloshing, the average values interpreted from the fuel level sensor will be a constant, and though it's wrong, this is what will be reported.

Maybe things get more complicated than that and there are tip sensors that attempt to adjust but I'm guessing that they didn't put that much effort into the fuel guage considering competing bikes don't even have one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts