Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days I have become very frustrated when people pick up my helmet absent mindedly, going "Hey, cool helmet!!!" and then proceeding to grab it without permission, and of course the choice spot to pick it up is always with at least one whole palm on the visor leaving me cleaning the damned thing endlessly.

They also choose to open and close the visor by pushing up or down with their grubby fingers on the front of the visor. Is this how people handle their glasses?

While I'm ranting, I've also had the same people sit on my bike without asking, and then, what really gets me, is when they take the bike off the sidestand even when the steering is locked... all I can do is go "don't! don't! don't!"

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Yes, I've had the visor grabbers as well. Before they get a chance to move onto the bike, I've found that a quick and polite way to remedy the situation is to give them a swift kick in the "frank n' beans". :nutkick
BTW... if you think they're all grabby now, wait until you install that gold zip tie!!!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
The visor thing, I don't mind. They're just curious. But the whole sitting on the bike with the steering locked, I don't appreciate.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Nobody touches my helmet lol And I generally try not to handle the visor too much...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I tend to yell at people when they try to handle my helmet. That's my life you're attempting to pick up. I"ll be damned if I let you touch my helmet!

I've had people ASK if they can sit on my bike, and I have no problem with that, assuming they actually ask, but when they just sit on it, I get pretty damned pissed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My mirrored silver visor has tons of small scratches from girls finger nails because of this. I even get people asking me to let them ride my bike saying they have experience. Piss off, no one is riding my bike unless i tell you. It's like dont even ask.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I normally keep my visor flipped up so if they pick it up they grab the face of the helmet. I try to pick up the helmet before they do though. If they ask if they sit on the bike I tell them to hold on and I put up the regular sidestand and use the mechanic's stand when possible. That way the bike is straight up and down and less likely to fall over if they can't handle the weight. No stranger is allowed to sit on my bike or mess with my helmet and if they get close I will advise them of that, most times I say "excuse me, do you have XXXXX amount of money in your pocket? No, then pease don't sit on my bike". Has worked so far.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I usually keep my visor flipped up as well, that way if someone does try to grab it and gets to it before I can stop them they usually tent to grab the chin bar. Grabin the chin bar is more secure casue they get a better grip and less changes of dropping it.
So far I haven't had anybody just sit on my bike without askin first. Then again most people look at the tail bag and are afraid to try to lift thier leg up & over it for some reason. That and I have my alarm on when I'm not on it so it usually goes off before then even get a leg over it. That's enough to to stop them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
my GF has a 5 year old son and he constanly tries to touch my helmet. he gets his grubby little paws on it and i get REAL pissed. she says im a dick, but she just doesnt understand. thats why i come to places like this. if he smears chocolate on my lid one more time...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
IWRXIT said:
my GF has a 5 year old son and he constanly tries to touch my helmet. he gets his grubby little paws on it and i get REAL pissed. she says im a dick, but she just doesnt understand. thats why i come to places like this. if he smears chocolate on my lid one more time...
Peroxide...it destroys the blood evidence so it can't be used against you.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
avvacuppa said:
ah little boy,s and sticky finger,s i,ve found jam to be the worst,on the inside naturally .
Holy shit! Who switched that man's comma and apostrophe keys??!!

Chocolate on your helmet, ohhhhhhhh snap I'd have to break his little hands.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I suggest keeping the helmet in the helmet bag. that way if they want to see it they have to ask. (you know how hard it can be to take a helmet out of its bag).

AS far as sitting on the bike with out permission, the alarm handles that one.

Sorry to hear about your fustration binary

·
Registered
153 Posts
IWRXIT said:

buy the kid a helmet just a cheep one thats what i had to do with my kids so they a happy al anything

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of my file drawers in my desk at work is completely empty and fits a helmet just perfectly. As soon as I get to work, in it goes, and then I lock the drawer. Out of sight, out of Touchers' minds. I work in the IT department here and you can't leave anything unlocked :urowned

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Binary Jay said:
The last few days I have become very frustrated when people pick up my helmet absent mindedly, going "Hey, cool helmet!!!" and then proceeding to grab it without permission, and of course the choice spot to pick it up is always with at least one whole palm on the visor leaving me cleaning the damned thing endlessly.

They also choose to open and close the visor by pushing up or down with their grubby fingers on the front of the visor. Is this how people handle their glasses?

While I'm ranting, I've also had the same people sit on my bike without asking, and then, what really gets me, is when they take the bike off the sidestand even when the steering is locked... all I can do is go "don't! don't! don't!"
Can always zip tie a sign on the helmet, "Please, do not touch the visor"

Sorry dude, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Or you could use my strategy- keep the visor clean, but leave the bugs all over the rest of the lid. People will not touch. Mothers will keep their kids off.

I've never caught anyone sitting on my bike. That would tick me off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The worst thing that has happened to my bike and stuff is when my girlfriend's (now wife) sister's kids washed my CB750F (brand new 1980) with water from a mud puddle and then dried the bike with paper towels. The tank was F****d! I was pissed but I never lost my cool. On the way home I torqued the bike screamed. If it wasn't for rubbing compound the bike would have looked like total shit.

Yeah, I said no-one would ride my bike... till I was run off the road by a Chevy. A good buddy limped the FZ6 home for me, so I guess I owe him a ride... then again he does have a ZX7R Ninja that I can chase him with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts