Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy working at the local dealership and he was telling me that all visors, even the clear ones have UV protection. Is this guy telling the truth or full or sh$t? The conversation started because I was thinking of getting an iridium visor because my eyes feel really sore and red after a long day of riding and was reading that the iridium are sprayed with a UV coating.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How do you figure a clear visor would have UV protection? Don't you think the manufacturers would state in their paraphenalia that they do? I don't care for dark visors, because there are areas that are shady and whatnot, and they quickly hinder your sight, as you can't exactly flip them up as easily as you could sunglasses while driving a car, if you're busy with steering. Maybe you should consider shortening your rides to a more comfortable distance. Consider taking regular breaks with shade.

·
Banned
730 Posts
freeride said:
How do you figure a clear visor would have UV protection? Don't you think the manufacturers would state in their paraphenalia that they do?
Some do.........

·
Registered
304 Posts
vuu16v said:
Some do.........
Exactly. Wouldn't you figure that the ones that state they have it do? Which means that the ones that don't say it...don't?

All I mean to say is that if a clear visor doesn't state that it has it, it doesn't.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
ya i would imagine that if it did, that would be something that is clearly labeled. i have a dark tinted visor, and i love it. i feel like a badass too :) also, the suns rays don't heat up your face as much, so i like it better than wearing sunglasses under the clear visor.

·
Banned
730 Posts
freeride said:
Exactly. Wouldn't you figure that the ones that state they have it do? Which means that the ones that don't say it...don't?
Agreed, but I got the faint impression he wanted to know about a clear visor he already had. You know, one that you threw the wrapping away a long time ago and are just now curious about. I probably just assumed too much though.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I bought an iridium visor because I was getting headaches during long rides on the back of my roommate's ST (I'm pretty sensative to bright sunlight). It stopped the headaches with 100% success. I can vouch for Arai's iridium visors--they help a lot more with sun-related problems than their clear visors.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
pretty much everything made these days for vision is uv protected. Hell the $5 sun glasses at the gas station have uv protection on them, so i would imagine any visor made has it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hagios said:
I bought an iridium visor because I was getting headaches during long rides on the back of my roommate's ST (I'm pretty sensative to bright sunlight). It stopped the headaches with 100% success. I can vouch for Arai's iridium visors--they help a lot more with sun-related problems than their clear visors.

I think I may pick up an iridium visor. I have both a shoei and arai and checked their websites and both have them. I have very light sensitive eyes too. How are the iridium visor at night? Are they too dark like the smoked visors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The iridium visors are great at night, especially if you have light sensitive eyes like I do. I wouldn't ride with anything else at night.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I ride with clear at night--it is my understanding that in California, it's illegal to ride with a tinted visor after dark. But no, you won't have any problem actually seeing with it in, if it's legal in your area.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
some do, some dont. I love my iridium sheild. on Sundays when I'm out riding a good 5 or more hours, it really saves my eyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts