Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding out of the city the other day with, wearing an agv xr-2 - agv's top of the time helmet. sweltering at the stoplight so i crack open the face shield one notch. just barely open. light turns, i accelerate to about 35mph and turn to check if anyone is next to me. WHAM! visor flies fully open and flies off into traffic. what is that! yes i'm 100% sure it was mounted correctly. is this a usual occurance?

·
Registered
522 Posts
doesn't sound like its normal, I think you should contact AGV about it. Who knows maybe they'll replace it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Normal? No. Could it happen? Obviously, it did. The forces on the shield mechanism in the situation you described could be quite high as it flew open and hit the stop. Maybe AGV shield mechanisms aren't the best either. I always try to close my shield by about 25 mph while also looking straight ahead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do plan on contacting agv - if nothing else it may possible save me from spending $60 on another shield. if ridden at higher speeds with the shield completely up and it appeared ok. guess the sudden force just overwhelmed it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you ever dropped your helmet? Maybe there was a hairline crack in the visor and it being up in the wind allowed it to fly off. I had my visor "pop" out of my helmet when riding the other day, but it stayed on until I stopped to fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
not your helmet, but it seems to be the same case
maybe agv has the same type of deal going on
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=83-6640

"Some VR-1 helmet shields may flip fully open when turning your head for a lane check at speed, if the shield is partially open. If this happens with your helmet KBC will send replacement base plates at no charge, which will correct this problem. KBC is committed to customer satisfaction. Please contact KBC at [email protected]. In our experience less than 1% of our customers have reported this problem, but it is worth checking out."

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you drop the helmet? Dropping it can dislodge the shield locks.

Once I dropped my HJC CL-14 helmet, but, after inspecting it, found no damage. However, at highway speed, the shield popped out of the side on which the helmet hit the ground. I removed and reattached the shield properly, and it hasn't dislodged since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts