Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on my first "ride" yesterday (its part of our mandatory course...4 hrs on the road as a group with the instructor).

We did mostly city riding...to get a good feel for traffic etc. A bit of highway riding too.

Since it was my first time on a bike on real roads..it was a little weird because in my car, I know EXACTLY what is going on at all times...with a combination of looking around and using my mirrors, and most importantly, my rearview mirror.

I notice on the bike, I really wasnt aware of my surroundings...pretty much only what was in front of me. But I was surprised a few times by cars coming into the lanes next to me....I only noticed them when they were right next to me! So it was a bit freaky!

I looked in my side mirrors all the time, but they dont really show that much. Of course, I know if I want to change lanes, then I can look over my shoulder, which is fine. But just in general....I didnt feel as if I knew what was going on behind me.

Is that normal? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I be checking over my shoulder a lot more often? Should I be adjusting my mirrors differently (I adjusted them to see a bit of my shoulder, and to see the lanes next to me)? It was not my bike..so I had to deal with their mirrors.

What about bar-end mirrors? I think I'd just get one as an extra precaution.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I have my right mirror so it looks pretty much stright back behind me and my left mirror is aimed more to the left for more coverage to the side of the bike.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I've always adjusted my mirrors to go where it's about half my shoulders and half the road behind me. Some people might be able to do better, but I've got pretty broad shoulders due to working out, so I do the best I can with the mirror situation.

Don't be afraid to take a quick look over your shoulder now and again, nothing prolonged, just a quick glance is enough to gather the information you want without endangering yourself with things in front of you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for some extra side visability I mounted some "fish eye" mirrors on the inside of my fairing. It eliminated that small blind spot in my rear view mirror when cars were right next to me.

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I've always adjusted my mirrors to go where it's about half my shoulders and half the road behind me. Some people might be able to do better, but I've got pretty broad shoulders due to working out, so I do the best I can with the mirror situation.

+1 just go with the flow.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I was riding a Suzuki Savage (peice of crap!) but my personal ride will be a Bandit 400. They both have similar mirrors, actually (handlebar mounted ones), although I think on the Bandit, they are higher.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Jonny Thrice said:
well, I was riding a Suzuki Savage (peice of crap!) but my personal ride will be a Bandit 400. They both have similar mirrors, actually (handlebar mounted ones), although I think on the Bandit, they are higher.

The mirrors on the Bandit are pretty good. Goint to bar ends will probably not gain much.

You just need to get into a habit of checking the mirrors more frequently. Also, don't forget to pay strong attention to your blind spots.

It may seem a bit daunting, but I think a good read for you may be the MSF guide to proficient motorcycling. Try using their scanning techniques. These should help you overcome the feeling you're getting.

I actually find the car to be more disconnected with the surroundings than I do on the bike.

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
I adjust one mirror high and to the left and the other pretty much looks right at my elbow. I can pick my arm up and get a pretty good look behind me.
But, sportbike mirrors as a general rule suck and nothing will keep you out of trouble better than ALWAYS keeping your eyes and head moving.

Know who / whats next to / behind you at all times

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm halfway thru Proficient Motorcycling now...maybe I'll look at that MSF book too.

I'll be getting my bike next week, and I really wanna practice my "vision"...so to speak....I'd like to feel that I know where everything is and know my surroundings. I really feel that if you know exactly what is going on around yourself at all times, plus having your bike in your complete control, then your risks will be significantly lowered.

Of course, these are both skills which need to be learned and practiced!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Me too.

You'll get used to it. Just have to learn to scan your surroundings. You have no obstructions to block your view as in a car, just generally crappy mirrors.

Good luck on finding a Bandit 400. Those are very cool little bikes. In many ways, my favorite Bandit.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
The mirrors on the Bandit are pretty good. Goint to bar ends will probably not gain much.

You just need to get into a habit of checking the mirrors more frequently. Also, don't forget to pay strong attention to your blind spots.

It may seem a bit daunting, but I think a good read for you may be the MSF guide to proficient motorcycling. Try using their scanning techniques. These should help you overcome the feeling you're getting.

I actually find the car to be more disconnected with the surroundings than I do on the bike.
Also don't get so "bound up" worrying about what is behind you all the time, most danger will be found between 10 & 2 o'clock IN FRONT of you. Learn to search/ scan effectively well ahead and recognise what "might" occur. Use your periferal vision for drivers next to you with spot glances in the mirrors or over the shoulder.

If you can't see far enough anead, you are in a poor lane/ riding position or following too close. Can't see clearly 4-5 seconds ahead slow down.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I wouldn't say that I feel more aware of my surroundings on the bike than in the car....

I just tend to pay MUCH more attention while i'm on the bike.

That being said, i keep pretty good track of traffic somehow. It's a combination of things. I have never had mirrors on any of my street bikes until the current one, so i got VERY used to moving my head around.

Now the mirrors are just a HUGE added bonus. I am looking to replace them with more adjustable ones, though.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
kevinwilly said:
I wouldn't say that I feel more aware of my surroundings on the bike than in the car....

I just tend to pay MUCH more attention while i'm on the bike.

That being said, i keep pretty good track of traffic somehow. It's a combination of things. I have never had mirrors on any of my street bikes until the current one, so i got VERY used to moving my head around.

Now the mirrors are just a HUGE added bonus. I am looking to replace them with more adjustable ones, though.
I know a couple of riders who use these:
http://www.saeng.com/scanners.htm

·
Registered
392 Posts
^did you read the description for those? It says you can see kids in driveways in them. I'm wondering why you are you looking at the kids in driveways that are behind you. Are they gonna chase you down and dive in front of your bike?

·
Duc(k)
2,001 Posts
I cant see crap out of my mirrors. Just the spot that they are postitioned is a bad location. There is not real way to adjust them. To compensate for that I just do headchecks alot more. You will get used to it. Dont worry. Also dont stress about it to much. Soon enough riding will become second nature.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Moon said:
I know a couple of riders who use these:
http://www.saeng.com/scanners.htm

sorry, but those are the ugliest mirrors i have ever seen, lol....

I'm probably going to put CBR 929 mirrors on my bike. They stick out about the same but fold in and have an adjustable angle on them. Mine are not movable, so i have to bend down a bit when i want to see behind me, and have to be VERY careful getting my bike between my car and truck.

:)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Don't be afraid to take a quick look over your shoulder now and again, nothing prolonged, just a quick glance is enough to gather the information you want without endangering yourself with things in front of you.
You should always do this. If you have enough room to change lanes you can take a quick glance. Also watch other drivers in cages they often only check their mirrors and fail to look out the window. If you are right next to them they can and will try to change lanes into you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts