Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vibrations in hot weather, I found something, the oil! :)

Hi,

I have a problem with vibrations in hot weather.

Over a period of time, I have checked all kinds of things, engine mount/bolts, suspension, chain/sprockets etc etc.
Some of them should not have anything to do with the vibrations only in hot weather, but I checked it anyway.
(I hate when my machines do something like this.)
Then I thought: "what the hell is left ?", and thought maybe the workshop I use have changed the oilbrand.

So I bought the exact oilbrand the bike came with last year, when I did not have this problem.
My bike is serviced at a dealership, to make sure I have the warranty.

Before I started changing the oil, I checked the oillevel, and this is where I got suprised.
There was to much oil in the engine!!, the level was way above the maxlevel-indicatormark on the dipstick.
I found the manual, to make sure I checked it correctly (just in case), and I did: start engine for a few minutes, stop and wait a few minutes, unscrew dipstick, wipe clean, insert dipstick without screwing it in, remove dipstick and check level.

Then I thought, could this be the reason ?

I check the oil rutinely, buit must say, I just make sure it is not below maxlevel, doing it fast.

So I got a syringe with and put a rubberhose on, and started removing oil, 50ml a time.

It took 300ml before I reached the maxlevelmark.
I tried remove 50ml more, and it went below as expected, so I put the 50ml oil back.
Now it was at the maxlevelmark.

With a bit of excitement a started the engine, no oil lamp on :)
so I took a bag and put can of oil in it, and went for a ride.
After 5km of lowspeed (max 100km/h) I stopped, waited 5 minutes, and checked the oil, was still a the maxlevelmark.

Went on the highway, drove about 160-180km/h for 10 minutes, went of the highway, stopped, waited 5 minutes, checked the oil, perfect level!
I checked the oil 2 more times on my way home, just to be sure.
Same thing, and at no time did the oilwarning light go on!
I noticed when riding fast, that the amount of vibrations was reduced quite a bit! and the weather was hot today.

And I was wearing thinner gloves today, so I could feel it even more.
There was no vibrations anymore in the footpegs, and only a little in the handlebar.

Tomorrow, I am going on a longer ride, to there I will be able to test it more, but think this is it.

The engine hold about 2,8l oil with filter, so I must have had about 10% to much oil in it.
I trust my mechanic, but still, to much oil should not be nescesary.

So if any of you guys have this problem, check the oillevel :)

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
In cars I've heard that too much oil can damage the engine. I would assume that it is the same with a bike. But don't quote me on that.

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
i would imagine, in a bike it would be worse, since it rev's soo much higher than cars, the problem comes from the crank splashing around the extra oil making it foam up, so at 14 k rpms im willing to bet htats making a lot of foamy oil, but it also depends on how over full it is. but i cant see 10% over really doing much harm, it can wear the seals down over time but odds are your okay with those.how hot was it when you checked the oil, oil does expand when it gets hot, not too much but if its already over filled, then gets real hot and expands a little, it could be just enough to hit your crank and cuase foaming. hope you have resolved your problems, ride safe! :banana

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update.
I drove about 150km today, and there is a difference from before.
Less vibrations no doubt!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Are cloves itchy in hot weather? :joke

·
Registered
251 Posts
You may be onto something. I've always had really bad vibes in the bars, no matter what steps I took to eliminate them. The last oil change was from the dealer and the oil level was a bit above the max line (dealer precision maintenance...ha). Today, I changed the oil/filter myself and held off filling it to the max line...it's about 3/4 of the way up the stick. Went out for a ride and, like magic, the bar vibes were COMPLETELY gone. I was a bit shocked, lol, but happy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burnspot said:
You may be onto something. I've always had really bad vibes in the bars, no matter what steps I took to eliminate them. The last oil change was from the dealer and the oil level was a bit above the max line (dealer precision maintenance...ha). Today, I changed the oil/filter myself and held off filling it to the max line...it's about 3/4 of the way up the stick. Went out for a ride and, like magic, the bar vibes were COMPLETELY gone. I was a bit shocked, lol, but happy.
Nice to know I´m not the only one :)
It is a great feeling that the vibes are is it not ? I smiled all way yesterday :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts