Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a fix for the annoying vibration at around 5 to 6k RPMs? My hands go numb after riding for a short while. Maybe different handlebars? I just did my 600 mile oil change. Own it for about a month. Love the bike, but this vibration is very annoying to me. It happens to be the RPM for most of my riding at cruise speeds. Should I just downshift and rev the piss out of it? Haven't seen past 8K yet. Don't see the need and I'm not experienced enough yet. thanks for any helpful info. :mad:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've heard the Power Commander will reduce the vibration quite a bit. I can't speak first hand on this. I kinda formed a habit of either shifting just before the vibration or revving the engine higher than 7k. Only time I really notice it is cruising speed of 60-65 in 6th gear. It's weird tho cause somedays I feel it more than others. I have to say tho revving this 4 up to 8k and above screams so sweet. I am past the 1000 mile mark so the break in is done. The engine shows it's R6 roots 8k and above. The only downside to revving the engine high is speed limits. 2nd gear will get you to about 70mph and 3rd will get you 100mph. So you can't enjoy those high revs too much. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
One thing I learned about gripping the grips is to keep my hands loose...especially on long trips. My other bikes vibrated more than this FZ6, and as soon as I gripped too hard, I would feel my hands numb after 20 mins of riding.

Also read somewhere here that there is a foam you can place in the bar that would reduce vibration. Haven't tried this myself.

Last thing is maybe get some better padded gloves. This fieldsheer has gel inserts on the palms that could help. Again, haven't tried this myself... just theories :)

http://fieldsheer.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98

·
Registered
149 Posts
My vibration (the one that rattles the handles) is right at 8k ... at first it irritated me, but now I use it as a shift indicator when I am spanking it a little

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Also, the engine will smooth out as you get to 1000 miles and beyond. I have 4363 miles on mine and no vibes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
calzor suzay said:
Mine got worse with more mileage
Mine has smoothed out considerably (4500+ miles)

Hey Calzor - is there anything u like about the bike? :grinbounc
Just givin' u a hard time - couldn't resist :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mine has a serious lever-rattling buzz at 8500 rpm, as well as a more mellow buzz at around 5000 rpm. Neither seems to be going away after 5000 miles or so. Adding the Power Commander didn't affect it at all. On the positive side, cruising on the highway at 6000 rpm is perfectly smooth.

Anthony

·
Registered
205 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Mine has a serious lever-rattling buzz at 8500 rpm, as well as a more mellow buzz at around 5000 rpm. Neither seems to be going away after 5000 miles or so. Adding the Power Commander didn't affect it at all. On the positive side, cruising on the highway at 6000 rpm is perfectly smooth.

Anthony
Mine has been as smooth as a babies butt, since putting in the gel seat insert, changing the stock mufflers and adding the PC3usb.

Almost un-noticeable tingle through the seat at 5500-5800 rpm then completely smooth.

If yours is any different, something must be outta sync or touching something it shouldn't.

Skippy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would syncing the TB's help any? I thought i read that in the old forums.

Can anyone compair these vibes with the vibes on a V twin such as my Honda Shadow VT600 when that bike run over 70MPH it vibrates alot everywhere. of course thats damn near its limit at 80Mph.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
calzor suzay said:
Mine got worse with more mileage

When I hear something like that, I think that it was not set up right at the factory, especially on an FI bike.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, the dealer says "Everything's normal, that's where the bike is making power, blah, blah..." The throttle bodies were sync'd at 4000 miles, but that didn't help. Time for a different dealer's opinion, says I.

Anthony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all that replied. I will try some good padded gloves and the barsnake. That should make it a more pleasant ride. Also, I guess I'll loosen up my grip a little too and see how it all works out. I have many years (more than I care to admit) experience riding ATV's and that could be why I'm used to holding on tight. Going from sand to pavement is way smoother. This street defensive riding is a whole new theory for me. I did sign up for the motorcycle safety course even before I bought my bike. Have to wait until the end of this month to go to class. That was the soonest I could get in... Thanks again for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It may be a 'weather / heat' thing, like I say mine got worse as the mileage went on but thats as we came into summer and I use the term loosely 'hotter weather' as it seems to affect it more on hotter days or... is it just that you ride faster / harder on hotter days with good traction?

It's been into a dealers but they didn't really do anything, when it goes in for the 12k service I'm going to demand they look at it but it seems to happen to everyone, the 5k twinge then the 8.5k teeth rattler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
rennsport said:
Also, the engine will smooth out as you get to 1000 miles and beyond. I have 4363 miles on mine and no vibes.
Until now I did about 20000 km's and the vibrating still is as irritating as it was when I discovered it (that was a few days after purchase).

JJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hum. This was the question i was going to ask.

Mine was not doing it when i bought it. Has about 3000 miles now and i started feeling it about 300miles ago.Feels like my PS2 Controller. From this post i guess there is no cure?and it is normal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe changing the handlebar to some other brand or size result in a reduction of the buzzin' or would it just move it to another rev-range?
Has any FZ6 owner tried changing?
To me I must say it is close to VERY annoying. Takes the pleasure out of long rides. :a2

1 - 20 of 39 Posts