Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 r1--until recently bike has been smooth riding-but I now have an annoying vibration I can feel in handle bars--foot pegs--seat.(whole bike) I know normally there is always high frequency vibration on liter bikes but this is different. When riding the bike, it has a "buzzing feel" to it now. Any one have ideas of what this might be?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Did you change or adjust anything on the bike prior to the perceived increase in vibration? Any modifications or aftermarket parts? What condition are the tires in? At what RPM range and road speed does the vibration occur

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing has been added to bike recently---The only thing that has been done recently is chain adjustment by certified motorcycle mechanic. My front tire has approximatley 1000 miles on it --I looked at this tire and their is slight cupping (which I think is normal for r1) ---the rear tire is round--i.e no flat spot in center. I do notice when I power up through gears that if I let bike slowly tach up--around 4000 rpm this buzz vibration definetly becomes more noticible.

·
Red Dragons
2,887 Posts
I would suspect the chain,then.My R1 developed a weird vibration one time,I lubed my chain and it went away.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Cupping is not normal. Is your tire pressure good? Are your tires balanced? Ive also seen a few R1's with steering head bearings start to go bad that lead to vibration and abnormal tire wear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the same problem with my R6. mine is deffinately coming from the engine since it is noticable when the bike is neutral and not moving. I have been told and also experience that a carb sink can fix this problem. Even if they are out a little it is quite noticable. However, as of lately event that hasn't fixed mine. So if you find something else that works let me know. I recently rejetted mine back to stock and put the stock headers and pipes on it. Just haven't found a good after market pipe that isn't as loud as my D&D. With the D&D system a resink got rid of almost all my vibe. Since the changes however the risink has not fixed it. My vibe is between 6k and 7K. Its noticable above 7K but not nearly as bad. Changing the way (rpm i sinked it at) changed the range. The 6-7K range is when i sinked it idle.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Make sure your motor mounts are tight. There is going to be a bit of vibration that is normal on those motors. However, excessive vibration could be caused by many things.

Carb synchronization would not cause an abnormal vibration. Symptoms of out of synch carb's or throttle bodies would be poor throttle response and or a lack of power.

Also, D&D pipes are the worst sounding pipes in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts