Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, it is time for a new helmet. My rf1100 protected me well, but I am in need for a new helmet. I was thinking about ordering another rf1100, but my friend has an Arai Vector 2 and it fit me pretty well. So, I go to my local cyclegear and the salesman tells me that the helmet is absolute shit. That Arai made that helmet to be a big seller, there isn't anything good behind it and that I should by a Q2 or a corsair. Any ideas on how the helmet is? Or is he just being a typical sales guy trying to get me to buy helmets that they stock, considering that cyclegear doesn't stock the vector 2 in my local store.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Arai doesn't make a "shit" helmet.
All Arai helmets are good. Price differences in the line up
are diferences in "extras". The best helmet you can buy is a
helmet that fits you properly and Arai makes different shapes of shells to fit different shapes of heads.
Not saying other brands are not good helmets either.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Arai's "crap" (aka cheaper) helmet, is better than 90% of the helmets on the market. From HJC, AFX, even Bell.

The sales guy just wanted to sell you a $900 helmet over a $500 helmet.

My next Helmet will be: Arai Vector 2, Blarney.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I would however try one on first. arai and shoei fit different.

you should go drop $1400 on the agv rossi helmet. has agv lost their damn mind? lol for the longest time agv was nothing but a hjc

·
Registered
475 Posts
Arai doesn't make a "shit" helmet.
All Arai helmets are good. Price differences in the line up
are diferences in "extras". The best helmet you can buy is a
helmet that fits you properly and Arai makes different shapes of shells to fit different shapes of heads.
Not saying other brands are not good helmets either.
^^^ This

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I would however try one on first. arai and shoei fit different.

you should go drop $1400 on the agv rossi helmet. has agv lost their damn mind? lol for the longest time agv was nothing but a hjc
Thats EXACTLY what I remembered also but I guess I've been exposed to too many Ducatistas lately.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can only fit Arai because they are by far the easiest for eyeglass wearers to put on and the Vector 2 are good for round heads. If it wasn't for this, I surely would not wear it cause I think there are other companies out there making better or same quality for a lot less.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats EXACTLY what I remembered also but I guess I've been exposed to too many Ducatistas lately.
AGV always has 1 killer lid in their lineup. It used to be the TI-Tech, but now it's the GP-Tech. The Italian made ones. Really nice materials, light as hell, good finish. Fits my weird head perfectly. Their import (Asian) stuff is OK, seems to be about the same as HJC, Scorpion, or Icon. For that price, I'd go Bell. :shrug

Although all that said I do enjoy me a Duc.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
All I know about Bell is that every says they're the harley davidsons of helmets...been around forever and old technology.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Old technology? Which Bell helmets are you talking about? Their top two helmets (Star, RS-1) are both either Carbon fiber (Star) or Kevlar composite (RS-1) shells with top notch linings. Their venting and visor systems are also some of the best in the business......I can't actually think of any "old technology" on them that any other brand doesn't have too.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Obviously I dont research helmets. I have a lot to learn. I've always put $ above quality when it came to helmets in the past. Now I'm riding faster and doing crazier stuff...I'm ready to stop buying cheap crap. I probably shouldn't even be posting in these helmet threads.

·
5,455 Posts
i'm really interested in the new line-up of Shark helmets. i have two RSI helmets and one RSX. they're all amazing: super light, nice liners, thick shields with THE best shield change mechanism.

i'm going to motogp this week and hoping someone will have some there.

totally agree with the others that you can't go wrong with Arai (although their shield change set up is ridiculous).

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
But Arai's shield setup is the only one that won't pop off in a front face collision. I've seen Bell and Shoei's shield fly off, at the track.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I had an AGV Ti-Tech, great quality but it just wasn't a good shape for me, and they don't make good ear cavities in any of their helmets. But it did a great job in my crash where I hit my head.

I replaced it with a Bell RS1 and don't think I'll every use another brand. Amazingly comfortable, reasonably quiet, very light, the magnetic strap is way easier than a button, and the transitions shield is unmatched by any other manufacturer. I can't recommend Bell enough.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not a big Arai fan. I've personally crashed in an RF-1100 twice (both crashes over 80 mph), bonked my noodle pretty good in one of them, didn't lose conscious or even have a headache.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts