Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a personal plate on my bike and I thought I had a good one but it's taken. I was going to apply for FIFTY1 (for my RC51) but that is taken. I can get FIDDY1 but the more I look at that the less I like it. So, I can have 6 alphanumeric characters, no symbols. What would you put on the plate of a new RC.

I know some of you are going to think that this is a squid like post, and that's cool. Fire away, I've got my nomex on.

Mike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
The geek in me tells you to get: 110011

Which, is "51" in binary notation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RC related, not RC related...I'm just trolling for suggestions right now. The binary bit was good by the way. Maybe I could do it in Hex.

Mike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
mcoomer said:
RC related, not RC related...I'm just trolling for suggestions right now. The binary bit was good by the way. Maybe I could do it in Hex.

Mike
Eh, the hex translation isn't that exciting. "51" in hex is "33". Doesn't even have any cool letters in it like all cool hex should have!

Even if you make "RC51" it's still only going to be numbers. You won't get any letters unless you use special characters, at least from an ASCII point of view. "RC51" in HEX (upper case) is:

52433531

Assuming, you take each string individually, "R", "C", "5" and "1".
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
"RC51" in binary is too long:
01110010011000110011010100110001
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I....the.....you.....I have a headache now and need to lay down. Too many numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
TheWraith said:
Eh, the hex translation isn't that exciting. "51" in hex is "33". Doesn't even have any cool letters in it like all cool hex should have!

Even if you make "RC51" it's still only going to be numbers. You won't get any letters unless you use special characters, at least from an ASCII point of view. "RC51" in HEX (upper case) is:

52433531

Assuming, you take each string individually, "R", "C", "5" and "1".
Anyone care to inform me on this Hex and Binary? Computer Languages maybe? Someone rid my ignorance...
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
!!!Kennedy!!! said:
Anyone care to inform me on this Hex and Binary? Computer Languages maybe? Someone rid my ignorance...
Binary is a number system with only 0 and 1 as digits. Place values are powers of two instead of powers of ten.
two = 10
ten = 1010
two hundred fifty-five = 11111111

Hex (hexadecimal) is a number system with 16 digits 0-9, A, B, C, D, E, F. Place values are powers of sixteen.
two = 2
ten = A
two hundred fifty-five = FF

Binary is how computers work. The electronics work fast with only two logic states (hence binary). Hex is a shorter way of expressing binary-based numbers. Real geeks can multiply and divide in Hex in their heads. HTH rather than adding to the confusion.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
RayOSV said:
Binary is how computers work.
I'd argue that machine language is how computers work and binary simply composes the bits which make up data. The facility of on/off in terms of electronic current is a binary equation but it isn't exactly binary computation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I give up...
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
TheWraith said:
I'd argue that machine language is how computers work and binary simply composes the bits which make up data. The facility of on/off in terms of electronic current is a binary equation but it isn't exactly binary computation.
This is really getting OT, sorry.
I'm not sure I totally understand your point, but I was trying to be as simple as I could. In computer hardware, all data, logic, instructions, etc. are represented by signals with only two logic states, on or off (binary). At the lowest level this allows things to be processed fast and to be made to run in parallel with replication. Machine language is what controls what a computer does instruction-wise, but it isn't the lowest level of describing hardware. /geek off (If you want more discussion or if I've misunderstood what you are saying, send me a PM).
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top