Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bikes is a 2007 ZX10. I just hit 40k miles on it. I took it in to my mechanic for a valve adjustment. The last one I did at 20k miles.

I know Kawasaki recommends every 15k miles, but I've managed to push mine out to 20k intervals. I have friends that have gone well over 40k miles without EVER adjusting.

How often do all of you adjust your valves?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Doing mine currently. 2000 zx9 with 26,500 miles. Think they're supposed to be done at 26K, so I'm right on track. Mine was ready for em. Wouldn't start when warm.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My FZ1 was supposed to have the valves checked at like 12k I believe, I went to the dealer to have it done and the service manager told me to go home and come back at 20k, he said they never have to adjust the valves that soon even though Yamaha recommends it. The bike was totaled at 19940...

My Tuono also recommended 12k intervals, though several people on the AF1 forums report going 50k without needing an adjustment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I've checked the valves on every bike I've ever owned and never has any of them needed to be adjusted at the first check interval. I've had some that were close but always within spec.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Every 5000kms, although not that hard to get to, track bike defiantly needed some tweaking after it was fresh out of the box. The 1100 sport seems to be pretty stable now.

·
5,455 Posts
i don't usually keep a bike long enough that they need adjusted. people around here consider anything over 10k miles to be high mileage so it's a lot easier (and more fun) to just get a different bike every year than worry about valve adjustments and lower resale.

·
freetors
640 Posts
Typically just when the manufacturer says so. We have I think 6 or 7 fourstrokes. On a sportbike or other modern tightly packaged bike with shim unders I wouldn't want to do it any more than I have to. They're just a PITA. On some of our older bikes I don't mind it all and will even do it for fun. There's really something to be said about the good old fashioned screw and locknut adjusters. It's really nice to be able to adjust a four cylinder engine's valves in 30 minutes.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
For the first 30K, I checked them every 5 or 6K. After that, they settled in, and I check them now about every 10 to 12K, which for me is about once a year. That's not bad for desmos on a Duc.

PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Typically just when the manufacturer says so. We have I think 6 or 7 fourstrokes. On a sportbike or other modern tightly packaged bike with shim unders I wouldn't want to do it any more than I have to. They're just a PITA. On some of our older bikes I don't mind it all and will even do it for fun. There's really something to be said about the good old fashioned screw and locknut adjusters. It's really nice to be able to adjust a four cylinder engine's valves in 30 minutes.
That was a huge reason why I wanted a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Don't even have to remove bodywork to get at the valves! And then they're just screw adjusters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
dreading it on my VFR. Dunno when the next interval is, it's at ~35,000 miles now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts