Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, anyone have a valve adjustment done yet? if so how long did it take? just trying to get a idea of how much this might cost me.

thanks

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Get the shop manual and do it yourself.

While I will be doing the valve adjustments on the Ducati (2 valves), the thought of having to remove the cams to do a valve adjustment seems like too much time I could spend doing something else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rennsport said:
While I will be doing the valve adjustments on the Ducati (2 valves), the thought of having to remove the cams to do a valve adjustment seems like too much time I could spend doing something else.
Let's not forget that none of us has a collection of shims ready to install as needed.
1. measure the clearance.
2. take out the existing shim and measure it.
3. calculate the difference for proper lash
4. go to the dealer and get appropriate shim(s)
5. put is all back together and hope it doesn't leak

Mike Cocorochio

·
NOT SURE
1,003 Posts
gfraser said:
hi all, anyone have a valve adjustment done yet? if so how long did it take? just trying to get a idea of how much this might cost me.

thanks
I posted a similar thread on this topic before. Answers were helpful:

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=342457

1. Do it yourself
2. Dealerships should have a universal set price for this job calculated by labor hours.

·
Cappo
872 Posts
When talking with other riders the conversation always will come around to maintanence and then to valve adjustments. It seems, from those conversations, that most manufactures require a valve check but few actually require anything other than an inspection because the valves are in spec. Even Ducati but still that was what turned me away from getting the Multistrada.

Although I am not looking forward to having that done it is a comfort to know that most likely it will be an inspection and nothing will need replacing.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
woody_k said:
When talking with other riders the conversation always will come around to maintanence and then to valve adjustments. It seems, from those conversations, that most manufactures require a valve check but few actually require anything other than an inspection because the valves are in spec. Even Ducati but still that was what turned me away from getting the Multistrada.

Although I am not looking forward to having that done it is a comfort to know that most likely it will be an inspection and nothing will need replacing.

On the monsters and other Ducatis, valve adjustment are not needed, unless the engine lives near the redline, as in a track bike. I wonder if the asme holds true for an inline 4?

·
Cappo
872 Posts
rennsport said:
On the monsters and other Ducatis, valve adjustment are not needed, unless the engine lives near the redline, as in a track bike. I wonder if the asme holds true for an inline 4?

And I should be shocked you are contrary to me????

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
woody_k said:

Uh, I am not being contrary to you. I am only posting the experience of other Monster owners and wondering if the same applies to inline 4s, specifically Yamaha.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
woody_k said:
If you two don't stop fighting we're not going to the zoo this weekend!

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
The zoo???? I wanna go to the zoo.....I wanna spank the monkeys.....

I consider Renn a very knowledgeable individual, sometimes a bit irritating, like a grain of sand in the lotion while you're rubbing one out. It's not going to ruin your day, but it'll make the next minute of your life a little less enjoyable.
I of course am just bugging you Renn. You go on adding your two cents and your opinions. Other people can take them or leave them.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
I liked how Renn was being contrary by saying he was not being contrary.

I am bored at work...somebody help me:eatpop

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Magseal said:
:lao

Good thing I didn't mention Sea World or you'd be "waxing the dolphin".

Or the circus. There'd be some "clown punching" going on.

Or the Mexican restaurant for some "squeezing the burrito"

OK, enough of this.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
pelon717 said:
If you two don't stop fighting we're not going to the zoo this weekend!

Fine by me. The zoo is boring. :)

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Magseal said:

I consider Renn a very knowledgeable individual, sometimes a bit irritating, like a grain of sand in the lotion while you're rubbing one out. It's not going to ruin your day, but it'll make the next minute of your life a little less enjoyable.
I of course am just bugging you Renn. You go on adding your two cents and your opinions. Other people can take them or leave them.

Thanks. I got a good laugh from your post. :cheers

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
koozi said:
I liked how Renn was being contrary by saying he was not being contrary.

I am bored at work...somebody help me:eatpop

Well unemployment is not all that exciting either, once the money runs out. As for my being contrary well, you gotta do what yougotta do!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Checking the clearance is easy, so do it. IF any of the shims need replacement THEN if you do not feel capable take it to the dealer. It's quite possible none will be needed

·
Registered
292 Posts
SqDancerLynn1 said:
Checking the clearance is easy, so do it. IF any of the shims need replacement THEN if you do not feel capable take it to the dealer. It's quite possible none will be needed

Why even worry about it until you think you have a problem or the 26,000 miles check point is achieved. It's only a check at that point and not necessarily an adjust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts