Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if your valves need adjustment? I had my 05 Kawasaki Ninja 500R in for its 600mi checkup and the shop said they were fine. Now at 3100mi I'm wondering if there are signs one might notice to clue him into the fact that the valves need to be adjusted?

-- Chris

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until the next interval. Flat spots, running hot, running cold could all be signs. The easiest way may be to just due normal maintenance. The valves are always a bit noisy on your engine (EX500/500R). Why, I don't know it just is. Search the board and you'll see plenty of people ask the infamous noisy valve question.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha guys. The hell with it then, I'll just keep riding it and get em checked at the 4000 mi interval (900 mi from now). Hopefully the bastards won't charge me much to do that maintenance checkup... ;)

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
If you get them to check the valve clearance, it'll cost a shisen load. I reckon if you follow your service manual you should be fine.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Bike valves tend to go out of adjustment in the tighter direction which doesn't usually make any more noise. Your best bet is to have them checked at recommended intervals and keep track of the trends. If you're worried about cost, buy a manual and learn how to do it yourself. It is time consuming, but not super difficult if you take is slowly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone told me the ex500 engines are noisy to begin with anyway. It isn't like the bike is running any worse or anything. Just sounds like something's rattling loose inside it when its idling....the sound is pronounced near the top of the cyl head. Funny thing was, the sound started after the bike sat for only 2 days. Doesn't make sense that the valves would all of a sudden start ticking like crazy....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts