Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should the valves be adjusted and when have you folks had your's serviced? I read on some Euro site that the 7R valves need to be adjusted every 6k miles, which kinda bites as I just turned 6.3k. IIRC, someone on here said 7.5k.

And another thing, WTF is with the interval? Yamahas go something like 23k between their adjustments.... :mad:

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
I believe it is 7,500miles for valve adjustment. But don't sweat it though, I didn't get mine checked until almost 12,000miles. Doh!

Stone

·
Registered
475 Posts
yes, the manual lists intervals of 7500 miles. you're not quite due yet... luckily. I dunno why it's so much more frequent than the rest, must be the design of it somehow, even though others also use shim under bucket design.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah shit. I guess I should reconsider a few mods in favor of a valve adjustment. Damn you kawasaki!

·
Registered
475 Posts
no, you don't have to have anything done at the dealer if you've got the time, patience and tools to do it yourself. Checking the clearance isn't difficult at all (except to try and get your hand and a feeler gauge in some tight spots). Replacing the shims to correct an out of spec clearance is a bit more complicated, but nothing terribly hard - you just need to have a good torque wrench to torque the camshaft holders back to spec.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tiamat said:
no, you don't have to have anything done at the dealer if you've got the time, patience and tools to do it yourself. Checking the clearance isn't difficult at all (except to try and get your hand and a feeler gauge in some tight spots). Replacing the shims to correct an out of spec clearance is a bit more complicated, but nothing terribly hard - you just need to have a good torque wrench to torque the camshaft holders back to spec.
Doesn't sound to hard to do. There wouldn't be any good writeups online somewhere would there?

·
Registered
475 Posts
The service manual comes to mind. I've got it in .PDF format if you've got a place I can FTP it to (it's 190 megs).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Forget 7500 miles check. I am at 5100 miles and I dont intend to check mine till 10 or 12 k. I dont ride hard, its a Japanese bike and I just trust my bike since I am the only one riding not abusing it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just came inside from finishing the valve adjustments on my ZX6R. About 6 valves needed the next shim size down (they were too tight, barely). It took me a few evenings just casually taking my time. The hardest part was getting the dealer to cough up a few shims, insted of having to order them online and wait a week or more. Finally the guy grabbed a few from the service department and I got it back together and fired up tonight. It takes a few hands to get the cams reinstalled with the correct cam tming, but the service manual helps quite a bit. If you are mechanically inclined and have the service manual, I say go for it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having the assortment of shims on hand on one set of hands kinda makes me want to save myself the pain and cough up the $150.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts