Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had a question on valve adjustment on the zzr's. Ive got 8600 miles on my 05 ZZR. I Bought it at 8000 miles on the odo for 4900. But the thing is there werent any maintanence records for the bike that he kept and he was the second owner. Should i go and get the valve adjustment done just to be safe? I changed all the fluids about 2 days after purchasing the bike. It just sparked my attention about doing a valve adjustment at 7k miles as routine maint. Bike runs and pulls strong. No weird noises, leaks, etc. Those of you that have reached the 7k mark, have you done them yet?

Any input will be appreciated! :headbang

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
heh, i'm at 26k miles & haven't adjusted em yet.... i should probably get on that, huh :D

I wouldn't worry about it much. Check the clearances if you want but they'll probably be w/in spec still.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OreoGaborio said:
heh, i'm at 26k miles & haven't adjusted em yet.... i should probably get on that, huh :D

I wouldn't worry about it much. Check the clearances if you want but they'll probably be w/in spec still.

26k miles! Daaaymn. Haha. :lol My 8600k miles seemes minute to that number! I was just wondering because i read that at 7k is the next big maint. service which is the valve adjustment. But i mean, the bike runs strong, and sounds the same as well! Cool though, Thanks Oreo!

Ps. Thats a nice go-ped? in the avatar! :eek:nfloor

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just because his bike is apperently fine at 26k (and there is no real way to know if they are in spec without looking) does not mean yours is as well - it does not hurt to check. Adjusting them to spec will only make the bike run better. It's not hard to check them yourself either. Worst thing you'll find out if it does not need it is that it's all good and learn a bit about your top end in the process. If they need to be adjusted that's not brain surgery either.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mandrex said:
Just because his bike is apperently fine at 26k (and there is no real way to know if they are in spec without looking) does not mean yours is as well - it does not hurt to check. Adjusting them to spec will only make the bike run better. It's not hard to check them yourself either. Worst thing you'll find out if it does not need it is that it's all good and learn a bit about your top end in the process. If they need to be adjusted that's not brain surgery either.
How can i see if they are adjusted to spec? If you can lead me in the right direction mandrex that'll help greatly! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
teamspeednautik said:
How can i see if they are adjusted to spec? If you can lead me in the right direction mandrex that'll help greatly! Thanks!
Download the service manual (sticky thread here) and you will see how to get to the valves and what the spec is. You can get shims at your local auto parts store (for next to nothing) and have at it. Just open her up and use the shims to check - nothing that requires a PhD. There are probably a million write ups on the web about how to do a "valve job" that would do a better job of explaining the process at length than I could here.
Best to have a torque wrench as well if you do need to adjust.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mandrex said:
Download the service manual (sticky thread here) and you will see how to get to the valves and what the spec is. You can get shims at your local auto parts store (for next to nothing) and have at it. Just open her up and use the shims to check - nothing that requires a PhD. There are probably a million write ups on the web about how to do a "valve job" that would do a better job of explaining the process at length than I could here.
Best to have a torque wrench as well if you do need to adjust.
OHhhh. Alright Thanks For The Lead! :cheers

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
it's involved enough that I'm enlisting the help of a couple of my mechanic friends. Unless you're used to opening up engines & playing with valve trains, I wouldn't do this alone even w/ the service manual.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OreoGaborio said:
it's involved enough that I'm enlisting the help of a couple of my mechanic friends. Unless you're used to opening up engines & playing with valve trains, I wouldn't do this alone even w/ the service manual.

Oh shit. I wish you lived closer! Id wish to be on that list of help! Ahh Damn. Yeah im not really used to opening up engines and playing with valves...... Ill just wait about two-three weeks before i take it in then! I dont want to fuck anything up :bitchslap !

·
Registered
505 Posts
teamspeednautik said:
Oh shit. I wish you lived closer! Id wish to be on that list of help! Ahh Damn. Yeah im not really used to opening up engines and playing with valves...... Ill just wait about two-three weeks before i take it in then! I dont want to fuck anything up :bitchslap !
You won't get used to it unless you try... I've found out from working on my ex-car that it's all just nuts and bolts... you just have to be more careful with some of them, and not drop stuff where it's not supposed to go haha
I'm going to open it up after a few thousand miles and see how it looks underneath... might be easier than you think, many things are when talking about bike/car maintenance

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
checking clearances is easy enough... it's adjusting the valves that's a pain in the ass. I've got an engine builder lined up that'll do it for 150 for me.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You should be comfortable with and at least reasonably prepared to tackle a project - be it a simple oil change or an engine rebuild... Where that level of comfort is depends on you, your skills and your "talent" for mechanics and your experience. People here pay a couple hundred bucks for the first “service” for something they can do in 20 minutes for $40 with basic hand tools almost anyone owns but if that works for them so be it.
I look at it this way, I've been in the service area on most local dealerships (bike and car) and if I trust the chimps that typically occupy such spaces with my cars and my bikes I might as well trust myself.
I may have been a bit blasé in saying that you should tackle this yourself. I don’t know your mechanical skill level or experience. Only you can figure out if it’s something you want to do or pay a “pro” for.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
I know you're not speaking directly to me, but I fully understand your reasoning... and 99.9% of the time I'd agree with you & I'd do it myself as I do alot of my own work on my street bike, race bike & dirt bike... but this time, my "pro" really is a pro... he used to work for Kawasaki's AMA team back in the day :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mandrex said:
You should be comfortable with and at least reasonably prepared to tackle a project - be it a simple oil change or an engine rebuild... Where that level of comfort is depends on you, your skills and your "talent" for mechanics and your experience. People here pay a couple hundred bucks for the first “service” for something they can do in 20 minutes for $40 with basic hand tools almost anyone owns but if that works for them so be it.
I look at it this way, I've been in the service area on most local dealerships (bike and car) and if I trust the chimps that typically occupy such spaces with my cars and my bikes I might as well trust myself.
I may have been a bit blasé in saying that you should tackle this yourself. I don’t know your mechanical skill level or experience. Only you can figure out if it’s something you want to do or pay a “pro” for.

Mandrex, you do make a good point. Well ive worked on my bmw that i had, and now have a project 86 toyota pickup to haul my bike around and just did a carb. rebuild on it. But first off, i think ill check the clearances first. And if there fine, i'll just leave it alone til the time comes. As far as maint. is concerned, ive always done it on my cars. But a bike, since im new to it, seems somewhat intimidating. But I'll slowly get into it. Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
teamspeednautik said:
Mandrex, you do make a good point. Well ive worked on my bmw that i had, and now have a project 86 toyota pickup to haul my bike around and just did a carb. rebuild on it. But first off, i think ill check the clearances first. And if there fine, i'll just leave it alone til the time comes. As far as maint. is concerned, ive always done it on my cars. But a bike, since im new to it, seems somewhat intimidating. But I'll slowly get into it. Thanks guys. :)
One thing I thought of when I read someone post "clearances will probably be within spec" is that why not make them even more within spec while you're already in there... I have no idea what's going on with the valves yet, but by the time 7000 miles comes up, I will hopefully learn and do it myself... what I'm trying to say is if you have the whole engine apart, you might as well move the valve that .03mm

ot... what kind of BMW did you have?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lecchilo said:
One thing I thought of when I read someone post "clearances will probably be within spec" is that why not make them even more within spec while you're already in there... I have no idea what's going on with the valves yet, but by the time 7000 miles comes up, I will hopefully learn and do it myself... what I'm trying to say is if you have the whole engine apart, you might as well move the valve that .03mm

ot... what kind of BMW did you have?

I had an e36 93 325is......Most def. fun cars, like go-carts. Had to let it go finally though, a buddy of mine bought if off of me. So i get to drive it sometimes still! :banana

·
EET FUK
2,335 Posts
i have 10k on my bike what do you think about a valve adjustment? i think it was pete who said hes got 25k on his with no adjustment and i know he runs his a hell of a lot harder than i do...so any opinions?

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
What's the owners manual say about getting em checked again? Think it's around 10 or 15k.

Shouldn't have to get em adjusted but if you can get em checked for cheap, do so.

For reference, I've got a former Kawasaki Factory AMA tech on file that will adjust them for me for $150. Now you're not gonna find any shop that'll do it for that, but they should be able to at least come close if you shop around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts