Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with MSF courses beyond the first one? Locally Basic2 (I think called ERC elsewhere) and Advanced courses are provided. I'm trying to decide if there is any value in taking them.

Already read through Twist of the Wrist (and movie) and Proficient Motorcycling. I have about 4000 miles over 6 months under my belt and weather dependent put down another 1000 mi prior to any of the course dates. Track days would be ideal but it's a haul to any paved tracks and I just don't see it happening in the near future. I'm interested in technique first and foremost. Real world traffic/hazard strategy improvement is of interest too but I wonder how practical instruction can get on a closed course.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I go to the ARC every year just to knock the dust off after a too long off season. The ARC is fairly challenging where as the BRC2 is barely a step above the BRC1, but with your own bike.

In short, I thoroughly recommend the ARC course. (But, as Max says, go to a track day if the ARC course is going to cost hundreds. Here in PA it's free.)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've done the ARC course once (signed up for the second time last year, but broke my leg. Dolt!), and it was a really good course. However, in PA it is free. If I had to pay the normal fee in states where it is not free, I'd go with a track day over the ARC course... Even if it meant a longer drive. This isn't meant to disparage the MSF course; I just got a lot more out of track days than the ARC.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I'd say it would be the perfect course for your level of experience. I've taken it a few times, mainly because even for very experienced riders, it's good to have someone else watch and critique your riding habits, and help spot bad ones. This is an affordable and easy way to do that.

The next step in training above that is something like Lee Parks' Total Control, and then above that track days with good coaches, and then genuine track-based classes taught by the pros.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
But... But... But they say they'll help me get my knee down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$80 for ARC here. Seems reasonable. Depending on start time I may need to get a room in one of the towns that are hosting which could up the cost but still reasonable if I can learn something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the BRC twice, the ARC and track days, all within the last 2 years. My opinion on the ARC would be that if it were cheap/free its fairly fun. But if I had to pay more than the 30 bucks that I paid, I wouldn't be interested.

The main things I took out of the class was more practice panic braking, which we all should be doing anyway, and "Chin-over-wrist" riding position.

These were things I could have gone to parking lot and practiced myself. In fact, when I started scooting my butt off the seat, they told me not to because it wasn't in the scope of the lesson.

Track days are outstanding for improving body position and overall vehicle control. They have made me a better street rider because I have a much better understanding of what the limits of the motorcycle are (hint: its probably a lot higher than you think it is). I have seen guys that ride up to the track, tape off their lights, and go ride. My bike would still be capable of that but I don't want to square off my tires riding the 250 miles to the track. But if it were something I was just going to try to see if I were into it, track days would be money well spent (assuming there is one within 200 miles).

·
Registered
848 Posts
when i USED to do track days, I hauled my bikes 800+ miles.

To my brother's house which was 2 miles from Road America. Track days are SO much more worth it over ARC/ERC unless ya need a lil refreshing of skills.

Totally agree with track days pushing you and the bike's limits to find em out. Could not believe the capability of brakes and turning of an SS til i went a few times. HOLY CRAP!!! Now i don't worry as much while riding on the street cause i know the bike can do more than I can. WOOT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts