Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never ridden a v-twin, and I'm curious how they match up to a regular 4 cyl. I've heard stories from people I know about R6's smoking TL1000's and RC51's on the top end, is this true? How about top speed? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Twins offer a broader range of power than I4's which tend to be peaky and pretty gutless up till that near-redline rush.
Just depends on how you like to ride. I'm not finding myself at 10k rpm all that often, so a motor that makes all it's power above that is largely wasted.

I4's a big because that's what gets raced. In racing, running around at outrageous rpm, making tons of noise, either accelerating hard or engine braking hard, is fine. But it's not optimal for the street.
Twins, IMO, are much better street bikes. What makes an I4 kick a$$ on the track is the same thing that makes it a poor choice for the street. Too peaky, too gutless below that 3k rpm range where they actually make power.

The R6 for example only makes 'crotch rocket' amounts of power above about 10k. That means you have about 3k worth of powerband. All at the extreme end of the curve.
Twins make power over a longer stretch of the rpm range, and over a lower portion of it. Where you are much more likely to be when actually riding on the street.
So yes, the I4's have a distinct advantage at the top end. Now ask yourself how much riding you really do at 10k plus.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well put, Solly. It's nice to be able to have low end grunt out of corners and still be in higher gears than I would on the RR.

I once saw someone also decribe the V-twin difference simply as being perfectly comfy crusing around 4000rpm in 6th gear. Obviously, there is much more to it but it's true. You just twist and go. I-4's must be in the upper rev band to get enjoyment out of them imo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My R6 pulls strong from 8K up....thats about 6K useful rpm....not all that different than a V twin albeit at higher revs. I4s get this rap about being 'peaky' that I think is partly BS...yeah, they are peaky because they make alot more peak hp than a twin (of about the same size) because they can rev higher. I don't think a TL1000 rider can call his buddy's GSXR1000 'gutless' or 'torqueless' though.

Bottom line, your question about how they match up won't be answered objectively...I4 guess will preach the advantages of I4s and V2 guys will preach about the V2s.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Not tired of I4's as much as we have little choice in the matter.

It's a problem with repli-racers. Yes, they're sexy and it's what won on Sunday. But what works on the track ain't what works on the street. It's the downside of the win on sunday, sell on monday mentality. What you end up with is a bike all but unusable in real road conditions. The closer street bikes get to track bikes, the less useful as streetbikes they become.
13,500 worth of rpm sounds like a lot. But many of these bikes barely run below 4k. Almost none have any balls below about 7k-8k. And almost all make their real power in a tiny little powerband near the top.
Read a good article on why the stock classes at the AMA races were lapping BETTER than the full on Superbikes. Because Superbikes are hard to ride, being so incredibly focused.You are 'on the pipe' or you are off it. You have to tap dance on the shifter or ride around waking the dead at high RPM. Basically, the bike is only usable for a tiny amount of it's rev range.

The more we want our bikes to be like ricky racer's trophy winner, the less user friendly, comfortable, and drivable they will become. I think it's a razor line the manufacturers are already walking.

·
Registered
501 Posts
techcontrol said:
I've never ridden a v-twin, and I'm curious how they match up to a regular 4 cyl. I've heard stories from people I know about R6's smoking TL1000's and RC51's on the top end, is this true? How about top speed? Thanks!
you really can't compare a liter twin with a liter I4.

a liter twin would be more compareable to a 750 I4 in terms of torque and HP, but still rides differently

·
Registered
461 Posts
^ +1

My Honda may have good power from 6500 rpm up but I have to be in optimal gear to use it. It's about useable torque in just about any gear. The liter in-lines make similar torque numbers but they may still need to be in the more useable gears too.

The I-4 high rpm rush is fantastic but like stated, I feel this power delivery is much better suited(and safer)when exploited on the track. The twin can be equally enjoyable on the track or the street.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
apples/oranges

Did a track day last year at CMP where I was slowly catching this R6.....I passed him in a corner and he immediatly got a case of typical Tenn driver envy and didn't wanna let me get away with passing him so he took it up a notch.....he would brake sooner in the corners and that would allow me to get the jump on the apex.....but as soon as we were vertical he would ever so slightly gain on me till about 90 when I'd start walking away

The back straight was not as even...I got to 156 or so and was able to leave a few bike lengths between us

Mine wasn't the typical TLR though.....Full M4 exhaust, timing advanced, special airbox, K&N, PCII....I was making 131 at the rear wheel...so I DID have an advantage over stock, but he was running a full system and some other stuff as well....a pretty goot SHOT at me, but by the time we had made a full lap he was 2 corners back

We were pretty well matched as far as skills....but like I said, he was a little less brave on the braking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
^^^^brake late, go in hot, come out smoking! that's the best way.:lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Someone can correct me if they know for sure, but it seems that I saw some numbers here in a thread that had the R6 beating my RC to 60, about even at 80, and then the RC faster to 100 and pulling away from there. The V-Twins definitely give up that heart in your throat kind of power for the ability to pull harder longer. And as far as the I4 repli racers having it all over the V-Twin on the track...since Honda pulled the RC we'll never know what it might have done but ask Nicky what he thinks of that opinion. Seems like the RC held it's own against the best bikes in the world.

Of course, I could be biased just a little bit cause my RC rocks. :headbang

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't, it's only 3 weeks old, but I did have it up to about 140 in 5th. My old bike was only a 5 speed and my foot seems to lose count after that...LOL

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
techcontrol said:
I'm running a highly modified 998R, 151.4 rwhp, 82 ft/lbs torque, 405 lbs fully wet with fuel. The engine could have been reliably tuned to 165 rwhp, but I chose not to do that because of increased maintenance issues, wear and tear, etc. Plus...I'm not racing the bike.

The BCM tuned engine makes superb torque starting at 6.5K and remains relatively flat and close to 80 ft/lbs all the way to the 10.5K rev limiter. That, coupled with a superb suspension setup, slipper clutch, and quick shifter, makes it the best bike that I've ever ridden on the street or track.

I recently participated as a control rider at a local track day. Exiting the final turn at Summit Point WV (before the 3/4 mile front straight), I had to slow because a participant was taking the turn slower than me. I could have been in 3rd gear, but I was in 4th gear (it was a track day, not a race), chose not to back shift, and cut the turn closer to the apex so that I could pass the other rider on the inside...safely. As I pulled along side (with the 998R about 2K rpm too low compared to how I would have normally taken the turn), I glanced over and saw that the other bike was a GSX-R 1000. We stayed about 3 ft apart the entire length of the straight, with me letting the 998R wind out, the GSX-R gaining abut 1/2 foot every two seconds (this would not have been the case had I been racing or had I gotten my normal drive out of the turn). With T1 and the "3" marker fast approaching, I decided to lay off the brakes until the other guy braked. At about 165 indicated, the other guy braked, I waited a millisecond, braked hard, tipped into the turn, and then took off, never to see the GSX-R again.

I had to spend big bucks to make an already superb bike even better. But the reward is that I've got a bike that is an absolute missile and that handles just as well if not better than my ZX-6R...thanks in part to the superb suspension components to include the BST CF wheels. I have found the power delivery of the twin to be more forgiving than an I4, especially regarding rear tire wear, and the torque is amazing. Essentially, I can take a turn in the wrong gear and still have enough power to exit without lugging to the extent that it makes a difference...at a track day. And the engine makes short work of uphill sections, allowing me to pull away from anything that I have encountered to date at Summit Point and Barber Motorsports Park(which has some awesome elevation changes)!

I've also had a racer friend of mine follow me at Summit on a 2001 R1. He was able to keep up...but the bike wasn't. He attributed that fact to the suspension components on the Ducati allowing me to get better drive out of the corners while still keeping the front end down.

Bottom line...I like the Ducati a lot!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ive never had the pleasure of riding a twin,
but Ill tell you someone that has never had the
pleasure of riding a litre 4 shouldnt have the "no torque below 8K"
attitude. There is PLENTY of low-end torque available when I
ride my 99' R1. (longer stroke than new R1)
A 4K RPM throttle stab in first will most certainly torque the front
wheel up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Whoever told you that an R6 would smoke an RC on topend shouldn't be trusted anymore. The R6 is quick, and it should be a rider-skill issue in the quarter mile, but top-end is RC all the way. It seems to be easier to be fast on the track on a 600SS, but a skilled rider on a big twin is tough to beat. It's all about USABLE POWER.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Comparing Vtwin sportbikes to inline 4 sportbikes, IMO, is comparing apples to oranges.
They are two different animals and each one has their pros and cons. I love them both!! :)

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with all the posts. Great explainations of the V-twin vs the inline four. Exactly the reason why I ended up buying a 1000cc sportbike instead of a 600cc. I learned early on with my Katana 600 that I don't like shifting constantly to stay in the powerband. For street riding with NO intent of ever racing on the track, I wanted a bike with low end grunt. While the bike won't have the high torque curve of a Suzuki TL1000 twin, my FZR1000 won't have to rev at 10,000 + rpm for power. I cruise around most of the time in third gear with huge torque and plenty of horsepower at around 6k. For now the Fizzer 1000 is a perfect fit for me... maybe the best of both worlds??

·
Registered
129 Posts
black7R said:
Ive never had the pleasure of riding a twin,
but Ill tell you someone that has never had the
pleasure of riding a litre 4 shouldnt have the "no torque below 8K"
attitude. There is PLENTY of low-end torque available when I
ride my 99' R1. (longer stroke than new R1)
A 4K RPM throttle stab in first will most certainly torque the front
wheel up.

3k in first on my superfucker and the wheel will fly up.

but this thread is like all the other twins vs i4's threads there will no resolve and the people who ride twins will stick to twins and i4's stick to 4's

EVIL TWINS :headbang

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've got one of each, althought the 750 is not a "V"

the 750 and the 550 have about the same amount of power, it just hits differently. I prefer the twin cause it is more fun and usable, my girlfriend like the 550 I4 cause she says when she rides on the back it is much smoother for her. I also love the I4 "takeoff" above 6 grand that you don't get with the twin. also my I4 is lighter and more flickable than the twin. you'd have to ride them each back to back and you'll feel the differences, but they really do have about the same amounts of power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts