Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i'm still searching for my first bike and i saw a v storm the other day and the guy was cool and let me sit on it, and it felt pretty nice and more or less it all just felt good even for 6 foot 4. anyway the bike i sat on was a vstorm 1000. I know it's a 1000 and that's not the top choice for a beginer but this bike is a sport tourer, right? So do you think this could be a okay first bike, I know it's like 80 pounds heavier than an sv, And what do you think of the power for a first bike? I looked at the 650 v storm and the dimensions dont seem as convincing as the big brother. so waiting for all comments.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
When I saw the title of your post, my first thoughts were "that's a tall bike", but at your height it just might work. The 1000 is a very "torquey" motor and could easily get you into trouble quickly. The 650 also has good torque, but less of it. Check the dimensions on Suzuki's web site. The two bikes have essentially identical dimensions and the 650 will be much more friendly while still having plenty of power. The v-strom 650 is about 55 lbs heavier than the sv650, BTW. In any case, start with the MSF course if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I consider SV650's as marginal starter bikes, so I'd say that the 1000 is way too powerful and torquey for a beginner.

You're tall, so the dimensions on the V-Strom probably won't bug you too much. Just remember that a tall bike carries its weight higher than most. If it starts to go down, it'll be hard to keep it off the pavement.

All in all, if your heart is set on a V-Strom, then I'd suggest you check into the 650 instead of the thousand. Before you do either, take the MSF course and see how well you handle the little 250's they have for the class.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I guess your right I should first take the msf course but that wont happen for at least a month. So I guess I just have to see how that goes and then look at bikes. Makes sense. Okay well thanks. But could you clarify the power of the vstorm, like in comparison. Would starting on a vstorm1000 be the same as starting on gsx1000, 750, or 600? Its a sport tourer more or less and thats what i like about it cuz I could always keep it even after learning how to ride and buying the bike I want.

·
Registered
809 Posts
nic86 said:
yeah I guess your right I should first take the msf course but that wont happen for at least a month. So I guess I just have to see how that goes and then look at bikes. Makes sense. Okay well thanks. But could you clarify the power of the vstorm, like in comparison. Would starting on a vstorm1000 be the same as starting on gsx1000, 750, or 600? Its a sport tourer more or less and thats what i like about it cuz I could always keep it even after learning how to ride and buying the bike I want.
it wouldnt be the same as starting on any gixxer...
it makes about 90hp and 60 lb feet of torque.

I think the gix 750 makes 130hp and 65 lb/feet of torque.

the thing is, it makes that torque at 4k, while a gix 750 wont make that much until about 10k. this means there isnt much of a "take it easy" zone for low speed riding. A good hard tug on the throttle will catch you off guard no matter where you are in the rev range.

you can probably handle it, it's just a matter of how much risk you're willing to take.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcsuz/mcphotos/02dl1000dyno.html

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
The Vstrom 1000 is physically a very big bike to handle. You'd be best to look into the 650. Great bikes, no matter which one.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
nic86 said:
Depending on how it's geared, it might be hard to keep the front wheel of the 1000 on the ground. It's a lot of power in a tall bike. The 650 would be a lot more manageable. Start with the MSF course and remember those are 250's with about 30 hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts