Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I parked the CBR for a minute. Had to put a new chain and sprocket on it. My uncle passed away. And now family is imploding.

So with all of that, I get the CBR back up and running. I take it out for the first time in 2 months annnnnnd its full on snow bird season in Florida...

Within 2 hours, I was pushed out of my lane twice and almost creamed by another. All from out of state. Traffic is complete chaos. Roads that you could have stopped and done push-ups on, for lack of traffic, are bumper to bumper for miles.

The wife and I went for dinner. We sat in a turning lane in the median for 7 minutes waiting to cross...2 lanes. This is the same road that one could have done push-ups on.

Be safe out there guys and gals.

Thank you in advance for the condolences. My uncle was like a father to me. Took me to my first baseball game, taught me how to shoot, work on cars and how to cuss lol. He was a great man. :)

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Condolences....

Watch out for the blue hairs, snow birds and other lunatics on the roads with May-pop tires. I just had to spend another week outside of ft. Lauderdale this week and each time I am amazed at the utter stupidity of driving, even in carts in stores that these knuckled-dragging retards are capable of.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope your family finds some peace soon.

As for snowbirds, it's a small price to pay for year around riding. I learned to ride in that mess. Suck it up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you on that. But ffs...How did they make it all the way to Fl from whatever state they came from. Or how many lives did they take along the way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hear you on the snow birds. My commute went from busy to crazy. With the superbowl and phoenix open here this week the roads have been chaos. I've opted to park the bike for the week and take on just the snow birds next week.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its now Sunday. The wife is doing some washing and I've got a few hours to kill...I think I might take a ride. Wish me luck lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
So do we Floridians need to have a migratory bird permit to shoot snowbirds, or does the FWC consider them a non-native nuisance species and hence unprotected?

Is there a shotgun-only rule? Carrying one of my doubles on the Triumph might be a little awkward, but it that's the only option for dealing with these folks I guess I'll manage.

Riding through Poinciana on Friday, I was in the left lane and an SUV was a car length ahead in the right lane. The woman puts on her right turn signal (shopping center entrance ahead), I start to go past her, and she moves into the left lane, cutting me off. Praise be for the Daytona's excellent brakes.

Didn't notice the plate for sure; think it was Michigan. They seem to be the predominant species.

Reactions: CBR_Mike

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
By far the worst drivers (of any age) in FL are from PA. Which is weird because honestly they seem to have a much better grasp on it when they are in their native environment. Drivers in PA (as long as they aren't from DE or NJ) are much more considerate and attentive to motorcyclists than anywhere I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
538 Posts
New Mexico Drivers are the worse. The whole state has no traffic to speak of and they drive the freeways like they are going to cash in on a mega millions ticket.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your Uncle. He sounds like a great guy. Be glad you live in FL and can ride, it's an ice storm here in NY.

Reactions: CBR_Mike

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I'm with you on that. But ffs...How did they make it all the way to Fl from whatever state they came from. Or how many lives did they take along the way.
Most of 'em are from Quebec. They're a pox on our continent.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Gak. My life in paradise. Reason I ride a sport bike, so I can get away.

It got worse with the advent of cell phones and moreso with "smartphones". Every time someone nearly creams me and I look, their eyes are on a screen.

I must be good. No one is that lucky.

By the way, you Floridians shouldn't bitch so much about the snowbirds. As inconvenient as they are they're the basis of your economy.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Actually tourism contributes more to the economy. But tourists can't drive any better than snowbirds, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Im not sure its snow birds. We dont get snow birds here in loseranna, but over the past couple months ive noticed a LOT of really crappy driving. The lower gas prices have everyone speeding and driving aggresive. I think 15 to 20 over is the new norm. Also see a lot of people changing lanes into people, dunno whats causing that. Scary bad. Almost afraid to get back on the bike at peak traffic times where ill be forced into close proximity with the dangerous idiots.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gak. My life in paradise. Reason I ride a sport bike, so I can get away.

It got worse with the advent of cell phones and moreso with "smartphones". Every time someone nearly creams me and I look, their eyes are on a screen.

I must be good. No one is that lucky.

By the way, you Floridians shouldn't bitch so much about the snowbirds. As inconvenient as they are they're the basis of your economy.
Yeah, tourism more so that seasonal traffic.

I had some lady almost rearend me a year ago. She got within a few feet of me before she swerved off the road (cutting off 2 lanes of traffic) just to wind up taking out 3 mailboxes, her passenger side mirror and popped her tire. How she missed the telephone poll is anyones guess. The whole time I could clearly see her face...from the glow of her cellphone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts