Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have looked at car prices at dealerships and on craigslist. When I go to a Mercedes or BMW dealership, any of the cars in the $80-100K range new seem to not be nothing special in terms of what you get for the money. Like a new CLS AMG costs in the $90k range new, but a used 2007 on craigslist is only like $20-25k, cheaper than the cheapest new base model car Mercedes has to offer. At that price, I dunno if I wanna settle for a C-class for the same money (but c-class are easier for tighter spots) And a CLS AMG from 2007 still looks great.

Also see tons of Range Rovers 2004-05 going for $13-15k on the low end, think it must be the cheapest used car that still has that baller look. Well, maybe because repairing is expensive and they're not reliable, but it's a bargain if you don't consider maintenance.

Or if someone wanted a cool sports car they can have fun with and got the funds to get something legit, they'd probably gotta spend $100-150+ to get anything legit.

I saw used Vipers going for $40k, Audi R8 2009 at $90k, and met an owner of a body shop that sold his 08 Gallardo Super-lagerra for $95k when he asked $105k.

If say someone knew they only had the funds to buy a new Porsche Carrera, do they ever think they could have gotten a used Gallardo or R8 for almost the same price. Plus since it's used, they can actually enjoy the car rather than being overly anal about getting dinged or getting the interior dirty.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If say someone knew they only had the funds to buy a new Porsche Carrera, do they ever think they could have gotten a used Gallardo or R8 for almost the same price.
Not if they want that Carrera.

Buying new has the advantage of not having to wonder how it was treated by the previous owner. There are also things like warranties or maintenance plans. I don't know what all dealers offer for warranties on new cars. BMW does offer a third party warranty if the original warranty has expired, but I don't know how many other car companies do that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My wife drives a Toyota Echo.We bought the Echo new and could have bought a Civic instead but didn't feel it was as "legit".(I only had the funds for a Corolla but could have bought a used Camry)15,000 was a pretty steep buy in but it's good in tight places too.I don't know if it has a "baller" look or not.I certainly didn't want to settle for a Mazda 3 or Nissan Sentra as they didn't look as great.
:blink
Now where'e the bike part?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So I have looked at car prices at dealerships and on craigslist. When I go to a Mercedes or BMW dealership, any of the cars in the $80-100K range new seem to not be nothing special in terms of what you get for the money. Like a new CLS AMG costs in the $90k range new, but a used 2007 on craigslist is only like $20-25k, cheaper than the cheapest new base model car Mercedes has to offer. At that price, I dunno if I wanna settle for a C-class for the same money (but c-class are easier for tighter spots) And a CLS AMG from 2007 still looks great.

Also see tons of Range Rovers 2004-05 going for $13-15k on the low end, think it must be the cheapest used car that still has that baller look. Well, maybe because repairing is expensive and they're not reliable, but it's a bargain if you don't consider maintenance.

Or if someone wanted a cool sports car they can have fun with and got the funds to get something legit, they'd probably gotta spend $100-150+ to get anything legit.

I saw used Vipers going for $40k, Audi R8 2009 at $90k, and met an owner of a body shop that sold his 08 Gallardo Super-lagerra for $95k when he asked $105k.

If say someone knew they only had the funds to buy a new Porsche Carrera, do they ever think they could have gotten a used Gallardo or R8 for almost the same price. Plus since it's used, they can actually enjoy the car rather than being overly anal about getting dinged or getting the interior dirty.

Heck kid, just have mamma and dada to go with you and hold your hand while you flop around on the dealership floor kicking screaming and crying until they buy you what you want. Then the world will be right again and you can play all day then mamma can rock you to sleep at night while dada washes your car and waxes it for when his wuttle boy wakes up in the mornings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FWIW, the price for the Superleggera is either total bullcrap, or the car was a basket-case.

So, cliff notes on this thread: used cars are a better value than new. Surprise.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've got a bet going with a few other members. The over / under is 14 years old. So, which side of 14 do you actually fall on?

·
Registered
731 Posts
REAL BALLERS don't live with mommy and daddy... They usually use their own money to buy mommy and daddy a big new mansion to live in.

REAL BALLERS buy new cars, bikes, etc... than strip all the new shit out and make it custom.

·
Registered
905 Posts
REAL BALLERS don't live with mommy and daddy... They usually use their own money to buy mommy and daddy a big new mansion to live in.

REAL BALLERS buy new cars, bikes, etc... than strip all the new shit out and make it custom.
Real ballers don't give a shit about what people online that they will never meet think about what their daddy buys them.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts

So which one is your mom?

:dramatic

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Buy a Porsche 964, don't wrap it around a tree, and enjoy life.

On the general topic, I'd buy a used motorcycle. I feel like the general community cares for the machines pretty well and its obvious if they don't.

I wouldn't buy a used daily driver. I have no idea how it's been treated and neglect isn't always obvious.

I would buy a used sports car. Because again, I feel like people care for them.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
there is simply no justification for the exponential price increase on a zero mile car vs. a car with 12,000-15,000 miles on it.

A car loses value as soon as you drive it off of a lot and that's some bullshit to some, but to others its just all the more reason to haggle a price.

I got my car with 28K miles and one owner. it might as well be a new car but I sure didnt pay factory invoice for it. Also you have to consider you dont buy a car and keep it for 20 years as if its the only car you are ever allowed to buy. The McLaren f1 is worth 120% now of its original MSRP in 1997 or when ever.

Edit: Ive seen some used Supra's listed at MORE than their MSRP when new. It has a lot to do with how sought after a car is.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts

You must realize that nobody here likes to hear a spoiled rich kid debate which $100k supercar he wants his parents to buy him. It's no secret that most of us loathe the majority of your posts here, because we actually work hard to buy nice things. The nice things that most of us here can afford, you'd turn your nose up at, because you have rich parents that will buy you more expensive stuff.

You can't help being born into a rich family with parents that will spoil you. I don't think many people are faulting you for that. However, you can help how you present yourself to other people. You present yourself as a spoiled kid whose age most likely tops your maturity level. You certainly must know that the average person isn't debating which $100k car to buy with someone else's money. Have the common decency to not flaunt this fact and you'll likely get along better with others. And another thing, this is a motorcycle forum. Join a car forum if you want to discuss cars. I'd suggest a new attitude to go with your new forum.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Get a Mazdaspeed miata or a mint 944 Turbo/944S2/968. Big power isn't always fun. If I had the funds I'd have a 944 Turbo and a 944S2. Neither are that expensive or "fast" but holy hell are they fun to drive

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jeez, enough with the hating, I can't find a car that can beat a Yamaha R1 that is "affordable". Unless you guys can tell me of a Toyota priced car that can go 0 to 60 in 2.5-3 seconds 0 to 60mph.

But I found this really cool Dodge Magnum for $6200 obo, fresh outta the ghetto haha. Probably the coolest car I found for well under $10k and has Lambo doors! Not gonna go fast but that's why the other $4k will go towards a used motorcycle.

2006 Dodge Magnum

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife drives a Toyota Echo.We bought the Echo new and could have bought a Civic instead but didn't feel it was as "legit".(I only had the funds for a Corolla but could have bought a used Camry)15,000 was a pretty steep buy in but it's good in tight places too.I don't know if it has a "baller" look or not.I certainly didn't want to settle for a Mazda 3 or Nissan Sentra as they didn't look as great.
:blink
Now where'e the bike part?
Sorry, I did research on some bikes. But for bikes, they don't really go down in value percentage wise. Like a New Ninja 650r is like $8000, but it's hard to find one half off without it being older than a 2009.

Why you wanted to buy a new Echo at $15k? Sounds expensive for fabric seats and plastic interior. You can find many used small luxury cars for half that price range.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Generally speaking, retained value after three years ranges from 25% to 70% of original (that's depreciation of 75% to 30%.)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Please tell me when you're going to be able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds on the street. Also 99% of riders and drivers in general can't do the quoted 0-60. Going 0-0-60 in 4.5 seconds isn't near as fun as riding my ninja hard or pushing a 944S down back roads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts