Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 FZ6, PO did some good, some ok, some not that great. 45k miles and generally pretty clean. Integrator tail light, OEM mud flap and turn signals removed. 520 chain/sprockets.

I re-installed the oem tail/mud flap for some better visibility and a legal license plate light. Kept the integrator function. Cleaned up the slightly rusted tool kit and installed a taller windscreen that came with the bike. A SW Motech Engage tank bag gives a little more function.

Axles were way under torqued, chain was loose and tire pressures were way too low. No big deal. Tensioned the chain, torqued the axles and aired up the tires, cleaned a bunch of stuff and it's ready to ride. Ordered a few items to bring it back a bit and set it up for how I want it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cleaned and lubed the side stand. Did some other cleaning too. Need to check the air filter and flush the brake and coolant systems next.

Waiting on:

Shifter rubber
GPS mount
DB Killers for the Scorpion slip ons
New front tire
FZ1 mirrors
FSM and owner's manuals.

·
Diver Down
809 Posts
Might want to check the front forks and plugs too. Good luck with it, it's a great bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might want to check the front forks and plugs too. Good luck with it, it's a great bike.
Good call. I do actually know that the PO had the fork oil changed last summer, so that's good. Plugs are worth checking. Might upgrade to Iridium. No performance gains, but last longer. Some bikes lite off a little easier with the Iridium plugs. I was surprised to experience that with my Super Tenere. The FZ6 starts easily anyway, so unlikely to notice any change.

And thanks for chiming in. Good to see someone that's been here a while posting. (y)

Update: Got the manuals, which is nice. Front tire came and I swapped that on the other day. Michelin Pilot Road 5. A bit smoother turn in now. :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I discovered today that the PO had done an airbox mod. Cut open the front of the air box lid. I'm undecided about it right now. It shouldn't really be an issue, but I don't really know what the stock lid looked like either. The K&N filter wasn't hideously dirty, but i'll pull it in favor of a stock paper filter soon. My personal experience with K&N filters is that they do indeed flow great. 1 Hp drop between full open air box on the dyno Vs the K&N filter in place on a 300 Hp application. But, I always find dust on the 'clean' side of K&N filters over time. I previously had premature ring wear on a bike, in part due to the K&N, (I believe). For that reason, I'll accept the minimal power loss from a paper filter that catches more. My choice, no harm, no foul in what ever you choose to do. I usually keep my bikes for a while, 40-150k, and I ride them. so that's my metric.

If you happen to have a pic handy of the stock airbox lid on a '04-08 FZ6, I'd love to see it. You get an idea from the parts diagrams, but first person stuff is the best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a pic. Pretty much the entire front area where there is no foam has ben cut away on mine. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

Stock-

Mine -

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
If that mod is letting more air in and the air/fuel mixture has not been adjusted accordingly, it will be running on the lean side.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Possibly. It may have been done in conjunction with the slip on Scorpion pipes. No power commander that I've seen yet, but I wouldn't be surprised since there's a common map for the K&N and Scorpions. Header looks stock and the Cat is still intact. No 02 sensor on the FZ6. Someone sawed away the front of the air box bottom as well, possibly to fit a larger battery? Right now the battery slightly enters the air box.

From what I've read, the 'common' air box mod was to cut away the snorkel in the lid, leaving the front two screws intact, but nothing about cutting the lower half of the air box.

Was there a popular spot to tuck the PC?

I'm tempted to just return it to stock. Pretty cheap to pick up a used air box, or even the parts new. I'm not concerned about Hp, I just ride. I'm not a big throttle twister, more steady state. However, I'm not going to spend the coin to replace the Scorpion cans. Db killers will be going in shortly though. It likely has most of the 45k miles on the bike with this configuration too, so the sky isn't falling any time soon. The valves were checked and ok at 26k, so I'll see what they are at in 6k or so when the valves get checked again. That's less than 6 months for me, on average.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Possibly. It may have been done in conjunction with the slip on Scorpion pipes. No power commander that I've seen yet, but I wouldn't be surprised since there's a common map for the K&N and Scorpions. Header looks stock and the Cat is still intact. No 02 sensor on the FZ6. Someone sawed away the front of the air box bottom as well, possibly to fit a larger battery? Right now the battery slightly enters the air box.

From what I've read, the 'common' air box mod was to cut away the snorkel in the lid, leaving the front two screws intact, but nothing about cutting the lower half of the air box.

Was there a popular spot to tuck the PC?

I'm tempted to just return it to stock. Pretty cheap to pick up a used air box, or even the parts new. I'm not concerned about Hp, I just ride. I'm not a big throttle twister, more steady state. However, I'm not going to spend the coin to replace the Scorpion cans. Db killers will be going in shortly though. It likely has most of the 45k miles on the bike with this configuration too, so the sky isn't falling any time soon. The valves were checked and ok at 26k, so I'll see what they are at in 6k or so when the valves get checked again. That's less than 6 months for me, on average.
It has been so long since I have read of anyone with a PC that I don’t remember.

I just kept mine stock with a paper filter. In fact, any used bike I have bought that came with a K&N reusable filter was quickly replace with a paper filter. I would rather have superior filtration over airflow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been so long since I have read of anyone with a PC that I don’t remember.

I just kept mine stock with a paper filter. In fact, any used bike I have bought that came with a K&N reusable filter was quickly replace with a paper filter. I would rather have superior filtration over airflow.
We're on the same page with the K&N. As soon as the paper filter arrives, I'll swap that out. I guess I'll have to poke around and see if a PC is installed. A used complete air box is only 20-25 off ebay. New with shipping it's about $45. I've already spent as much as I'd like on this bike. I need to figure out if the battery is just installed oddly, or if they upgraded to a larger battery, thus the cut out in the lower air box. The PO had this bike since '11 and just recently installed a new battery. A shame to toss that out, and not a cost I want to incur.

Oh well, the tank is currently off for some wiring projects anyway. At some point I guess I'll have to take a look at see if the cat was gutted. It does not appear to have been cut open and re-welded, but it appears to be a strait shot down that pipe.

Thanks for posting your input. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts