Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the title to the bike I purchased. Since I have never done this before I thought I would ask a few simple questions....

Do I sign the title and take it to the DMV so I can get the motorcycle registered in my name?

Is there anything else I need to do? Any idea of the cost or am I missing something?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Prob'ly the same as your car. Here in Mass, you bring the title to your ins. co, pay them money, get a form from them, bring it to the DMV, pay them more money, they give you the plates and registration. ride bike. Could be different where you are.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
florida does not require bikes to be insured, so if you are in a state like florida, you simply take your title to the DMV (with your signature and date on it, of course) and get the tags...

...some people have been known to write in a MUCH LOWER sale price on the title than is on the original bill of sale...so as to avoid significant sales tax...

or so i have heard... ***whistles***

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Brownilus said:
...some people have been known to write in a MUCH LOWER sale price on the title than is on the original bill of sale...so as to avoid significant sales tax...

or so i have heard... ***whistles***
I believe they call that fraud...

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I only paid $2k for the motorcycle so I'm not too worried about sales tax. I was just curious about the registration part and costs. I'm trying to get everything done in one or two days. Registration, insurance, safety inspection, Hawaii DL test (since I'm on an out of state license), Hawaii motorcycle endorsement, then I'm on the road, "legally."

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Just did mine today -
1. MD Saftey inspection
2. MD Ins (Required in MD)
3. Title and registration (tags)

Maryland requires all the above to give you plates. Paid 399.25 for Taxes, Tags, Title for the DMV. The based the selling price on Nada Bluebook (most expensive) and that screwed me out of $100 because I didn't have a notorized Bill of sale, just the title that was signed over.

Took me about a week to complete, but that was because of delays getting it through inspection (the Inspector was racing all weekend, and was really busy :( )
Actual time at the DMV - 30 min. Now I have tags, woohoo.....

-Matt

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I found out some more info and it's basically the same in most states.

I don't have a bill of sale per se, just a written receipt signed by both parties. Plus I will prolly have to shell out a few dollars for taxes. I'll err on the side of caution and bring $500 with me.

Hopefully I'll received the insurance paperwork today so I can at least get a safety inspection.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Did you have the previous owner sign the bottom of the title over to you? You rip that portion off and send it to the DMV.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, no. The previous owner never signed the title. It still has the original owners name. I don't believe the previous owner ever had the bike registered in his name. But I will find out more info when I go to the DMV this week.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
DMV is the best option..espicaly if it's in a 3rd party name

1 - 12 of 12 Posts