Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've been looking to pickup a used ex250 or ex500 around my area and I have had no luck at all finding what I want. So I'm thinking about just getting and older 600 and going from their. My MSF couse is comming up quick and I wanna be on 2 wheels for the end of the summer. I was thinking about maybe a Honda CBR 600 F2 or maybe a Yamaha 600 from the early 90's. I'm about 5'10 and weight about 210 lbs. I've talked to some guys in the area (in person) and they all seemed to concur that an older 600 wouild be fine to start on. I also live in a rural area with a lot of open road and a good 20-30 min ride on the interstate to get to a major city. Would the bennifits of a b***** bike really help me on the interstate and the highways around here where I don't wanna be maxing out a 250?

Any input is really appriciated.

Jayson.

·
Registered
981 Posts
if u cant find an ex, an F2 would be good. just dont go "too new" on the 600's...that'll get u in trouble real quick. lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an F3, nice bikes. They have enough power to get you into trouble but not enough to scare the hell out of you. My bike turns and stops on a dime and only weighs about 500 pounds full. I am 6' and 210 pounds and it fits me really good.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
f3psycho said:
My bike turns and stops on a dime and only weighs about 500 pounds full. I am 6' and 210 pounds and it fits me really good.

Wow I haven't heard the words "only" and "500 pounds" referring to a sport bike before. Hell my bike doesn't even weigh 500 pounds with me on it and a full tank of gas. :headbang

Jason

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, but for a '96 600 carburated bike, that's not bad (454.1 lb curb weight to be exact). If you don't mind me asking, what do you ride that doesn't weigh 500 lbs full, with you on it. Nevermind, sorry dude, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. FF81, PM me with the info. I am curious.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well all I have is my racebike. It's a 2001 Aprilia RS250 2-stroke, some lightweight mods done, but haven't gone near as far as I could go :) It weighed in at 283 with a half tank of gas. I weigh 195lbs fully geared up. So just under 500lbs total weight. I've found that it's cheaper for me to try to lose weight to get quicker lap times than it is to get anymore kind of lightweight parts lol. I'm a fairly new racer and already within 4 seconds of the lap record (which is also held by an RS250 from what I hear) at Adria Raceway here in Italy. I LOVE this bike!

On a side note I rode a 1997 F3 for about a year back in the states, real comfortable bike, great for longer rides, but with me not riding street anymore, comfort isn't too big of an issue. :headbang

·
Registered
114 Posts
A 250 would explian it. That is a seriously light bike. Lighter is quicker. You shouldn't have given up street. Even though you race, sometimes you can't beat a slow ride down a coastline. Damn, I'm hijacking again, sorry my man.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
f3psycho said:
A 250 would explian it. That is a seriously light bike. Lighter is quicker. You shouldn't have given up street. Even though you race, sometimes you can't beat a slow ride down a coastline. Damn, I'm hijacking again, sorry my man.
I'll continue with the hijacking, lol. I quit riding on the street for several reasons, but the main one is I love high performance (and inherently high risk) riding. I can't do the things that I like to do on the street. Maybe one day when I get a little older I'll get some kind of sport-tourer and just enjoy nice slow rides down the coast. But for now, I just don't find that fun. I just find track days and race weekends so much more fun. But hey, that's just me, to each his own. Enjoy your ride, and keep the rubber side down :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Having a zx9 for my first street bike has been alot of fun so far. I just have put my break in miles on it and now i am starting to open the trottle alot more and man it will go. I love it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
^^^^ braver man than I

·
Registered
681 Posts
Unless you ride the freeway at 100mph, you won't max out an ex250.....where the hell do you noobs come up with your logic to get b***** than you should is beyond me and common sense!:rolleyes

·
Registered
419 Posts
R&DZX9 said:
Having a zx9 for my first street bike has been alot of fun so far. I just have put my break in miles on it and now i am starting to open the trottle alot more and man it will go. I love it.
Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Say, would a zx9 make a good track bitch??????

LOL. :flipa

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
GSXRGUY said:
Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Say, would a zx9 make a good track bitch??????

LOL. :flipa
If by good track bitch you mean overweight, slow handling bike, than yes, it will make an excellent track bitch! :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
taziscool said:
Unless you ride the freeway at 100mph, you won't max out an ex250.....where the hell do you noobs come up with your logic to get b***** than you should is beyond me and common sense!:rolleyes
You max out an EX250 on backroads all the time.
I do agree that a newb shouldn't be going much faster than that without the acquired skills that come with experience though...

·
Banned
293 Posts
Dude ..Theres no way your F3 weights 500 lbs lol ....95 F3 Weights in @ 407 stock.
Mine weights in at around 395 ish with the exhaust and some removed stuff.

·
Registered
681 Posts
TJT said:
You max out an EX250 on backroads all the time.
I do agree that a newb shouldn't be going much faster than that without the acquired skills that come with experience though...
If you're doing that, you need to take it to a track.....no reason to always be running triple digits on the street! :spank

·
Registered
114 Posts
DEVIN22CBR said:
Dude ..Theres no way your F3 weights 500 lbs lol ....95 F3 Weights in @ 407 stock.
Mine weights in at around 395 ish with the exhaust and some removed stuff.
It's the stock curb weight right out of the spec sheet. My motor and exhaust are completely stock. The California bikes weigh a little more because of all the emission control. The 407.9 lbs you are talking about is for the Europe models and thats the dry weight. Curb weights add almost 50 lbs. My bike dry weighs 410.1, but I wouldn't get very far on it without things like oil and gas, lol.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
taziscool said:
If you're doing that, you need to take it to a track.....no reason to always be running triple digits on the street! :spank
The thing is, most people don't know the meaning of "maxing out" a bike. They think it means going to the bike's top speed. There is alot more to maxing out a bike, and I guarantee 50% of the riders on this board can't "max out" a Ninja 250 to it's full extent, and 90% couldn't max out a SS600. You do need to go the track to really see what riding a bike to it's full potential is like.

Jason

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
firefighter81 said:
The thing is, most people don't know the meaning of "maxing out" a bike. They think it means going to the bike's top speed. There is alot more to maxing out a bike, and I guarantee 50% of the riders on this board can't "max out" a Ninja 250 to it's full extent, and 90% couldn't max out a SS600. You do need to go the track to really see what riding a bike to it's full potential is like.

Jason
Actually, he was referring to "maxing out an EX250 on the freeway". The rest of the thread is about street bikes, so "maxing out" the bike in the sense you're referring to is irrelevant, because you're not going to live long if you ride an EX250 to its FULL potential on the street, let alone a 600SS bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts