Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2002 f4i back in May. Rode it until last week when i noticed the rear tire had a slow leak. Upon closer inspection, I found a plug in the rear tire. :mad: The previous owner failed to bring this to my attention upon purchase. I mean come on, endangering my life just to get an extra 200 bucks out of me? :lame Well, I'm glad I caught it now before something bad happened. Those unforseen expenses really throw a wrench in your other plans.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Even though it was back in May just call and bitch at him, what's the worst he can do? Atleast you get to give the guy a piece of your mind

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
things like this just show how careless ppl can be, and that they'll do any thing to make a buck.. what an turd... :boid

·
Registered
725 Posts
plugs

theres nothing wrong with a well installed plug as long as its in the tread area where any quality tire is well belted. Worried about balance weigh it, then stick on the appropriate weight on the opposite side.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a plug in my rear tire on my RC51, and I push the RC hard too. It was patched from the inside, and you can see the plug from the outside. This was done at a motorcycle service shop. Nothing too much wrong with plugging a tire, but if it is leaking, then the plug job wasn't good.

ceh

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you're into riding 100% intensity all the time, I say replace any tire with a hole, a patch or plug isn't going to hold up to the rigors of hard riding. Rather, should I say that the damaged steel belts won't hold up, because sometimes when a tire is punctured, it isn't the loss of air thats dangerous, its the instability of the tire with broken steel belts. I just wouldn't trust my life with one under hard riding.

However, I feel a patched/plugged tire is perfectly fine for a bike that is just ridden around town and for cruising.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've plugged 2 rear tires myself (the BAD sort of plug job, from the outside) and they held very well. However I never rode them at high speeds. Enough speed to loose my license, but not crazy speeds.. Doesn't matter how well you trust your tire, a buyer needs to know a tire isn't performing 100%. I expect better from fellow riders :mad:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Calling the previous owner and bitching him out will only make you look like an asshole. Just deal with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I got a nail in my brand new tire a few weeks ago we put a plug in it until I got it patched from the inside. I ride hard on it and it performs fine with a patch.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
endangering my life just to get an extra 200 bucks out of me?

So when do you think your life was endangered? Ive had plugged tires up to 190 mph real speed w/o incident. Worst case scenario is it blow the plug and you get a leak. Even with a fast leak you will notice the loss of pressure before the tire goes flat. Also, unless the bike was sold to you with certain warranties, you bought it as is. So looks like you didn;t ask the right questions, sellers are not required to point out the obvious. And legally, a plugged tire is open and notrious enough to be dicovered upon reasonable ispection. :alky

·
Registered
522 Posts
my tire has a plug in it and works fine. didn't even know it until a friend pointed it out....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Plugs are illegal in California, so I don't know much about them, but maybe the guy you bought it from didn't think it was a big deal. It sounds like alot of you plug your tires and they perform just fine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Stang Man said:
However, I feel a patched/plugged tire is perfectly fine for a bike that is just ridden around town and for cruising.
Ha!! :) I don't ride around town, and you will never, never catch me cruising!! :)

ceh

·
Registered
321 Posts
scotty said:
So when do you think your life was endangered? Ive had plugged tires up to 190 mph real speed w/o incident. Worst case scenario is it blow the plug and you get a leak. Even with a fast leak you will notice the loss of pressure before the tire goes flat. Also, unless the bike was sold to you with certain warranties, you bought it as is. So looks like you didn;t ask the right questions, sellers are not required to point out the obvious. And legally, a plugged tire is open and notrious enough to be dicovered upon reasonable ispection. :alky
Thank you, thank you. I agree 1000%. Even when I got the flat, I noticed the loss of pressure, and I was in the middle of banging twistees too.

There seems to be an opinion going around that a plugged tire is only good for riding around town or cruising!! Ha ha :lame

ceh

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Nail in the front on my bike June of '03. Had it properly plugged & soon I will be rolling in for a new tyre as the tyre is pretty well finished, well so is the rear,but replaced that in August of '03. Mind you I have two sportbikes so each is riden by myself like one one time & the next the next time.

Mind you I have a third bike coming in so they will all have their equal use on the road under my command/riding. In that way the tyres will seem(?) to last longer & oil changes not as frequently only that is simply trying to fool myself. LOL

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
I've had plugs installed in a couple tires I've had in the past. That's when I was running Dunlop 207's. The plugs were installed at a shop and I still rode hard on 'em on the weekends!! The tires were new, that's the reason I didn't replace them.

A good plug will be okay to run on but I do understand your point of view.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You bought a USED bike in AS IS condition....no one to blame about the plugged rear tire but the guy who inspected the bike BEFORE purchase.

BTW, you can get a new rear for less than 2 bills.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts