Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
This should be in the sports forum, but nobody wants to post about the Olympics for some reason.

But yah, Bolt is just insane. He'd have gotten a faster time if he didn't slow up at the end...but what does it matter?? The guy is a mutant. I love how he only got into the 100m races as a way to "get warmed up" for his normal 200m races.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Oh yah, I forgot to mention it earlier...but Bailey's record was only the Olympic Record...Bolt broke the World Record earlier this year, so his WR time today beat his own WR time.

·
Sexual Chocolate
2,212 Posts

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Becouse it ends up being true alot more often than it should be.

Personally I dont care, nobody knows what drugs people were on 50 years ago.
and hell, maybe there is some super drug right now nobody knows how to test for.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Becouse it ends up being true alot more often than it should be.

Personally I dont care, nobody knows what drugs people were on 50 years ago.
and hell, maybe there is some super drug right now nobody knows how to test for.
That's one of the things that I don't understand. Everyone says we're in the "steroid era" in sports...I know that steroids haven't been around for very long, but who knows what other methods of cheating were being used 50 years and longer ago.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
STFU geez. Everytime someone does something great people have to shit on it with Roids accusation.
+1

The kid is just flat out fast. He'd have gotten down to like 9.61 or so I would imagine if he didn't slow down to show off. Awesome runner.

By the next Olympics these guys will be busting 9.5...which probably 20 years ago everyone thought was impossible.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
That's one of the things that I don't understand. Everyone says we're in the "steroid era" in sports...I know that steroids haven't been around for very long, but who knows what other methods of cheating were being used 50 years and longer ago.

As a society we pick and choose, One of my Favorite all time Boxers Sugar Ray Leonard was a Coke addict, you cant tell me he wasnt high when Roberto Duran hit him so hard in their first fight it knocked his palet back and he kept going like nothing happend. I like to think he wouldnt do that when he fought, but the odds are there that he did.

Lance Armstrong had higher than Normal levels of Testosterone, which is why the French were pissed about him, but he was given a little slide since he had to take "testosterone suppliments"

·
Florida Flat
1,779 Posts
that was a lite jog for him!

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
STFU geez. Everytime someone does something great people have to shit on it with Roids accusation.
b/c it's true 99% of the time. ask marion ...

·
Life begins at 40
487 Posts
What's the big deal with roids? Like Stephen Colbert said in his book, they're really entertainment enhancing substances. I'm really not a fan of the whole concept, but I'm also not a fan of professional athletes making millions and millions, which is a contributing factor to people using stuff in the first place. Since people are going to do as much as they can get away with, I would like to see everything legalized in sports, so at least there would be less dishonesty about the whole issue.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
What's the big deal with roids? Like Stephen Colbert said in his book, they're really entertainment enhancing substances. I'm really not a fan of the whole concept, but I'm also not a fan of professional athletes making millions and millions, which is a contributing factor to people using stuff in the first place. Since people are going to do as much as they can get away with, I would like to see everything legalized in sports, so at least there would be less dishonesty about the whole issue.
If say,a Circus performer wanted to you roids to enhance their performance,stay competitive in their job,keep their career going longer than they otherwise would be able to etc. no one would say anything about it,even though it still may not be right or fair.

The rub in sports though is athletes that are naturally talented don't feel that should HAVE to damage their health and partake in taking harmful drugs/performance enhancers to compete against someone who is NOT as good as them naturally.

Think about the job YOU do right now. Now what if your boss came in today and told you "Hey I'd like you to meet Mr./Ms. so-and so." "They want your job and if they can outperform you then I'm going to let them take it."

"You are now in competition for your job!" "I must tell you though that Mr./Ms. so-and-so take illegal,dangerous,health damaging drugs in order to insure they will be able to outperform you."

"So...here's your choices." "Number one,take the same drugs they do so you can compete and risk losing ten-twenty years off your life,having possible liver,heart failure within a few years etc." "Or number two just box up your stuff right now and walk out the door and quit."

"Oh and by the way just in case you take option number two just remember everyone else in your career field that is not competitive without them now takes these same drugs but hey...who cares right you ONLY dedicated most of your life up to this point to performing at the top level and doing it without wrecking your health/body with potentially deadly drugs." "Hey,well anyway have a great life no ya here and don't let the door hit ya in the ass when you leave."

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Cool plenty of people compete without taking performance enhancing drugs and are top of the line.
Natural talent only goes so far, Micheal jordan spent Hours a day shooting just free throws thats it, most of your top atheletes are like that, they train ten times harder. Tiger woods is the same way, he spends hours a day at the driving range, changing things, trying new things seeking perfection.

I was never at that level, and yes I had the talent, but I trained eight hours a day every damn day no excuses, thats what it takes, total devotion.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
After Bolt won the WR and the Gold Bob Costas was saying it was very disrespectful to the viewers and mainly to the other athletes to not give his 100% in the race. He let up way before the finish and then looked behind him as if saying "Where are the rest of you guys and what is taking you so long."

How does SBN feel about that viewpoint?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
After Bolt won the WR and the Gold Bob Costas was saying it was very disrespectful to the viewers and mainly to the other athletes to not give his 100% in the race. He let up way before the finish and then looked behind him as if saying "Where are the rest of you guys and what is taking you so long."

How does SBN feel about that viewpoint?
Commentators like Costas feel like they need to stir things up and get people to feel certain emotions, like anger towards an athlete in this case. That's what his job is, to influence how people think. It's an easy callout but I don't agree with it.

If you have the ability to absolutely annihilate the competition, then you have earned the right to celebrate like that. That's a lot of time, hardwork and pain finally paying off and you should be happy and be able to enjoy it when you perform like Bolt did.

IMO, that was the most impressive performance in the Games so far. And yes, I put this above Phelps' 8 Gold Medals. How many top athletes take swimming seriously? Not many. How many great athletes have tried sprinting faster than their competition? Pretty much every one who has ever participated in a sport.

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
i'm happy that he's living his dreams and all but sheesh, do it with some fukin' professionalizm . he was showin' off even before the 100m began. i've never really been one for a show off. not only that but in the last few strides, he gave up. gave up at least a tenth of a second. now watch someone beat his record by .05 sec. he' d be piiiiissed!

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand why he wasted the opportunity to demolish the world record like that just so he could celebrate 1/10th of a second earlier. Instead his performance is still second to Michael Johnson destroying the 200m world record in 1996. Johnson had class. He may never get the chance to do it again, nothing is a given. Coulda, shoulda, woulda - but he didn't.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I thinks it's the chauvinistic attitude that he displays. I don't like it either. Although someone may be better than others at something, it doesn't mean that you should parade it around. The Olympics is a way for you to represent your country's people. Had it been some college track meet, no problem. But he needs to represent his country a little more professionally.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
You guys are all acting as if EVERY track athlete doesn't act like this.

Think about the Americans in Athens, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona...think about the way that they react when they win medals. They dance around, they flex muscles, they put the flag on like it's a Superman cape.

Track athletes are, by very nature, arrogant people. They participate in the oldest of all sports and use their attitude as a way to intimidate their opponents.

Usain Bolt isn't the first guy to act like this...and he certainly won't be the last. I watched him in the 200m prelims yesterday and he kept shutting it down at the end. That's a mind game for him...if he's still winning even when shutting it down 3/4 of the way to the end, the other guys have got to be feeling that they have absolutely no chance of beating him.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts