Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...after not riding for some time after friends of mine were killed I finally have gotten on the bike several times. Today was no different then any other day. I got on the bike headed over to Nashville, IN and turned around to head back. While sitting at the gas station waiting for a clearing to get across the road, I stalled. Then at the first traffic light after the turn I stalled. I stalled two more times closer to home. It is so frusterating. I think I am just not giving it enough gas, unlike when I was learning to ride when I would pop the clutch. How in the world do I get past this stupid mistake. I know that it will happen a few times but this is rediculous. Any words of advice or shared frustrations.
Thnx,
DELLE_76[:cool:]

·
Registered
926 Posts
give it little bit of gas and let out the clutch simultaneously...you'll get the hang of it again.

i stalled mine like a week ago, wasnt thinking...first time in maybe a year :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thats the major problem i'm having as a new rider too...gets me really frustrated. I left my fizzer at home today instead of riding it to class since i stalled it 3 times trying to get it out of its parking spot. :(

·
Registered
954 Posts
Focus more on clutch control. You can almost start out at idle, by just using the clutch properly. Once the clutch starts to grab, very very very slowly let it out, while giving it more gas, dont be in a hurry to just let go of it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Turn up your idle speed to about 1500-2000 rpms and then you shouldn't even need to give it any gas to get started. Do this to get used to the bike again and then turn it back down when you think you are comfortable.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, you can get the bike going from any point (flat/hill) with just the clutch. While you're stopped, hold it to the point where its about to start moving. Then when you're ready to go, slowly let it out till you start moving, then add gas and let go of the clutch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
ChloroFiend said:
Thats the major problem i'm having as a new rider too...gets me really frustrated. I left my fizzer at home today instead of riding it to class since i stalled it 3 times trying to get it out of its parking spot. :(

the fzr is a tough bitch to get going. i used to stall mine too. the clutch takeup is VERY narrow, takes getting used to. I haven't stalled my F4i once, just to show you the difference in the clutches.

Original poster: go to a parking lot and get used to the friction zone. just stand flat footed and don't touch the throttle. let the clutch out slowly and when the bike starts to creep forward, pull it back in. rinse, repeat. you will know the friction zone in no time, then just add a little throttle to it and you shouldn't have any problems.

sorry to hear about your friends...i assume they were the ones involved in the accident with the hummer. that was awful :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
sorry bro, no words of advice. i've only remember stalling 2x, and it was on an fzr 600. it was my first bike. now it's second nature. don't worry bout it. just don't stall when some dude in an f350 w/an itchy throttle foot goes careening into you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
f4igrad said:
the fzr is a tough bitch to get going. i used to stall mine too. the clutch takeup is VERY narrow, takes getting used to. I haven't stalled my F4i once, just to show you the difference in the clutches.

Original poster: go to a parking lot and get used to the friction zone. just stand flat footed and don't touch the throttle. let the clutch out slowly and when the bike starts to creep forward, pull it back in. rinse, repeat. you will know the friction zone in no time, then just add a little throttle to it and you shouldn't have any problems.

sorry to hear about your friends...i assume they were the ones involved in the accident with the hummer. that was awful :(
undefined
Yeah that was them...word travels far...I easily could have been with them if things had been different. A friend wasn't going to ride but decided to anyways, others had asked me to ride with them later in the day, so I waited at the bottom of the hill at the gas station. Heard the sirens, thought nothing of it, got the call 15 minutes after they left and headed to the scene. It was horrible...it's one thing to see someone you know dead in a funeral home but to see someone who you had just seen 15 minutes prior lying in a ditch, still warm, covered in blood dead...it is something else. Can't, and probably won't get the image out of my head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts