Sport Bikes banner

UPSHIFT WITHOUT CLUTCH?

  • YES

    Votes: 22 40.7%
  • NO

    Votes: 32 59.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
The sequential boxes on motorcycle can be shifted under a small load and can handle it. I do it all the time on a 02 R6 with 19k miles without any issues. This is a bike that has been ridden hard and is supposedly known for it's tranny problems. Your R6 has a strengthened tranny compared to mine too, so you’ll be just fine on clutchless upshifts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I know Sport Rider magazine did an article about clutchless upshifting. They explained the benefits and all. I also took the california superbike school and keith code himself said it was good, and he iterated everything sport rider wrote. i do it and tell others it is ok.
 

·
i ride sideways
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
Rogue6 said:
The sequential boxes on motorcycle can be shifted under a small load and can handle it. I do it all the time on a 02 R6 with 19k miles without any issues. This is a bike that has been ridden hard and is supposedly known for it's tranny problems. Your R6 has a strengthened tranny compared to mine too, so you’ll be just fine on clutchless upshifts.
my experience exactly, but mine was a 99. done right it doesnt hurt the gearbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
I'm never doing it, I did read that its should not do anything bad if you keep away all the trottle and then upshift. But what is it exactly good for ? For me, I rather clutch so that I can play a bit when leting the clutch go to get some more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
The way I see it the clutch is there for a reason - to be used. But 2nd gear on the ZZr's is a bit dodgy so I always use clutch.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
brentsR6 said:
my experience exactly, but mine was a 99. done right it doesnt hurt the gearbox
so what happens when it's done wrong?

woohoo....you save .02 sec shifting, your flying now........:laughing, not worth it IMO. 50k on my OE clutch.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
245 Posts
if you do it wrong either with a clutch or without a clutch, your going to put a shock load onto the transmission shaft and the crankshaft/rods/pistons
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,240 Posts
Something I've always done, it was also something I was told to do by my Pops. I just do it, don't even think about it to tell you the truth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
I only do clutchless upshifts when I'm going WOT. When I'm just cruising around, I use the clutch for the upshifts.
 

·
______ETA B4U______
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
I don't use the clutch going from 2nd up. It doesn't like it when I try to go from first to 2nd without it. It will get stuck in neutral every now and then. Other than that it feels like it shifts smoother than when I use the clutch. Put pressure on the shifter and blip the throttle and it goes right in. Doesn't even feel like there is any resistance at all.
 

·
Moto GP Champion
Joined
·
505 Posts
SlowCBR said:
I only do clutchless upshifts when I'm going WOT. When I'm just cruising around, I use the clutch for the upshifts.
same here. It will not hurt a thing.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
I'll do it sometimes, other times I won't, I haven't noticed better lap times by doing it. In my book, if it doesn't improve my lap time, it's not worth doing.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I do it for 3rd and up; just barely blip the throttle and it shifts as smooth as silk.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top