Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i ordered a fairing stay on ebay from 58 cycles and paid like 160 for it for my r6 well it shows up today and one of the main bolt holes on the left hand side is snapped and the box was all crushed up who is liable for this ups or the guy from 58 cycles
i was really hoping to go riding this long weekend now im fucked what the hell can i do.?

·
Just puttin' along
562 Posts
I would call John at 58cycles first and see what he says.You will probably have to file a claim with UPS though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry about the UPS mishap, I've delt with 58cycles and had great service. I would also call them, but it probably will be UPS's baby to fix.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i called 58 and they said to take it up with ups so im doing that now how long does it take them to fix an issue like this?
my bike is my only trans and im getting REALLY sick of being held over at my parents place as i live 24 miles away from anything USA and there in boise.

·
Just puttin' along
562 Posts
Not sure with UPS, but I'm sure it won't happen as fast as you would like.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I bought a fairing piece off Ebay once. It was broken when Fed Ex delivered it. It took me about three months to get a refund, and even then, Fed Ex didn't give me the entire amount. I'll never use Fed Ex for my shipping.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i worked for fedex as a package boy, i'll never ship anything thru them or more importantly hope nothing gets shipped to me thru them, fedex fucks up a lot of packages so the sender has to make sure its packaged bullet proof, a fragile 10 lb box can be on the bottom of a trailer supporting over a thousand lbs

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
fiftyonefifty said:
i worked for fedex as a package boy, i'll never ship anything thru them or more importantly hope nothing gets shipped to me thru them, fedex fucks up a lot of packages so the sender has to make sure its packaged bullet proof, a fragile 10 lb box can be on the bottom of a trailer supporting over a thousand lbs
That's disturbing information....

Jed...good luck with it, sorry to hear...they might try to jew you but just be a jerk on the phone and more than likely you'll get your money sooner...but can I ask, why is a fairing keeping you from riding?

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I have heard it taking like 6-8 weeks. Fuckin sucks. I would say order another one

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m not completely sure what UPS will do, as I have never dealt with an issue like this. That said, without insurance, I would not be optimistic. But I can help with regard to who bears the risk of loss between you and 58Cycle.

When goods are shipped by a common carrier such as UPS, the risk of loss shifts from the seller to the buyer at the time the seller completes his delivery obligation. When the obligation is complete depends on whether it is a shipment, or destination, contract. If it’s a shipment contract, the seller’s obligation ends when the common carrier takes possession. If it’s a delivery contract, the seller’s obligation does not end until you take possession.

Unless the initials FOB (then destination; e.g. “FOB Idaho”), it is usually a shipment contract. So, from a legal prospective, you are likely screwed.

Your best bet is to pursue UPS, but without insurance, I doubt they will help you. Also, often times a seller will allow an exchange of goods damaged during shipment to maintain reputation (especially on Ebay, where negative feedback kills Sellers).

Anyway, good luck, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I worked for UPS for 3yrs as a tech. You need to call 58cycles back and make them file a claim. The shipper is in charge of getting you your money back and most of their dick ass customer service at UPS won't even talk to you since you're the receiver. Hopefully 58cycles put atleast a $200 declared value on the package and you prolly won't see a check for about 90 days. Sorry bro. :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
From what I understand from our UPS guy, who "rolled" a Viewsonic 21" monitor box off the back of his truck and onto the asphalt in front of our computer store, a package must be packed so that it can withstand a 5 foot drop. Needless to say, the monitor survived the trip, but was killed by the UPS guy's rollout job on our doorstep. We get FedEx and UPS shipments every day and I'd say both companies do a pretty good job of "testing" boxes. UPS tends to care A LOT less when there is a problem though.

With all that being said, a lot of shippers don't pack their goods very well. When I received a large box of bike plastics from RonAyers.com, the box was pretty much destroyed because there was too much empty, non-stuffed space in the box (at least a foot of empty space above the parts). Luckily, the parts at the bottom of the box (on NO padding I might add) somehow survived unscathed.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I worked for UPS for a bit. Not sure who is technically at fault but personally i think it's a mix between the two. We package items where i work now and we always make sure to pack them with enough padding inside and tape em up real good outside just because of the way they will get handled. I seen boxes with Fragile written all over it get tossed out the back of a truck and bounce off the ground. UPS tosses boxes around for fun.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
I used to ship computers almost daily. (rackmount 4u servers for those that know what I am talking about) and out of 5 ups shipments, 2 arrived not functioning... The boxes looked like they were dropped and abused. We had a 20k Sun server arrive at a client site with tire marks on the box, and it was crushed. The damage was estimated at $15,000 We had ins on the server and the package with UPS, but never got paid. Sent to our legal department, and don't know the outcome, but I would not ship UPS. We switched over to DHL/Airborne, and NEVER had a computer get damaged in transit. Maybe they pay attention to what's going on, or we were just lucky, but we didn't change our methods of packaging.

Good luck fighting with UPS. I would order another faring, and hope that you get something back from the seller. The comments about feedback are big. Try and pull that card with the seller. Say that even though it might have been the fault of the carrier, it still was not packed correctly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I hope that you saved the packaging material that the item was shipped to you in. UPS will send somebody out to inspect it and make sure that the item was packaged appropriately. It usually isn't. Next time you are at a UPS depot, pick up one of their leaflets available on the counter and look at the shipping and packing requirements.

If they determine that the packaging wasn't up to standards, they will refuse responsibility and it's up to you to deal with your vendor.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah, shipping companys try anything to get out of having to pay for the item. My grandfather sent some knifes through UPS that he made, they got to Texas and the handles on all of them were cracked or broke I think, he does custom handles with different kinds of wood or whatever it is. He had them insured for $500 and they were trying not to even give him that, they ended up giving him $250 and said it was his fault for not packaging the item correctly. UPS is bad about crushing boxes, shipping companies just like to screw their customers. :rolleyes

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i whent to the ups store and they stuck me on the 1800 number then the dude said whell we cant help you right now because of the holiday so on tuesday our next buisness day leave it out and we will pick it up. the package will be opened and then examined we will notify the sender and then reach an agreement with them on the value after that we will ship out a new piece it could take up to two months . i fuckin flipped out what 2 months mother fucker this is my only transportation and one of your slackey employees broke an item i paid alot of money for and its two months thats the rest of the summer mother fucker ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. so now im royally screwed FUCK UPS!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
424 Posts
I never use UPS anymore. THey've destroyed several packages of mine and screwed me saying the same thing, it wasn't packages well enough(which was total bullshit, they were both packaged extremely well). I use Fedex or USPS now, and insure anything that's valuable or over $100. Been lucky so far, haven't had anything crushed in about 2 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts