Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to riding as well. I only started in June 2013. I bought a 2013 Ninja 300 and it has been a blast. I'll never look back. My gf will soon move to Chicago for a year where she has a job and we'll be 3 hours apart. Anyway, I was wondering what sort of bike I should be shopping for to go see her to both save some money and just to ride. I would like to not break the bank and maybe keep it under 6500. It would mostly be interstate miles and a few in town miles. Anyway thanks for any advice and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on keeping it but I need something that will be able to take the interstate, maybe something a little b*****

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
the 300 will do the interstate just fine.

by b***** do you mean you looking for something with more cargo room?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I should have specified. I meant a b***** engine like 600 or a 750. I tried the interstate once and I felt unsure.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
unsure? your 300 should do 100mph. . .

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
If you're unsure about the freeway you definitely need to stay on the 300. It's fully capable of anything reasonably legal. It sounds like your experience level is more of a limiting factor than the bike. For that long a ride the 300 is also gonna be a good deal more comfortable than a 600 or 750 supersport, as well as cheaper on gas, tires, and general maintenance.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The 300 is a very good choice. If your wanting a b***** bike then say that.

600's are going to get worst gas milage and be uncomfortable on the interstate. I traveled twice a week 200+ miles on a gsxr 750. Gas milage was around 35 which was worst then my civic at the time.

If you bound and determine to get a b***** bike for interstate cruising then get a sport touring bike like a vfr.

I would say hold on to the 300 for at least two years. Do you mind if I ask how many miles you have under your belt?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sport bikes aren't particularly good interstate vehicles. Also, do you intend for your girlfriend to ride on the back? If so, how large is your girlfriend? Your 300 might be a bit weak for riding two up.

Since you plan to keep the 300, why get another sport bike right now? Take a look at Goldwings instead. Heck, you can carry a family of four on one of those things....

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I was going to say that if you've been on your 300 for almost a year, go ahead and upgrade to whatever you want... But since you mentioned only going on the interstate once and being unsure, it sounds to me like you may have a lot of time on the bike, but not many miles/experience. So, in this case, I'll echo what's already been said and say to stick with your 300 until you get more experience. It's not the best tool for highway riding, but it'll work just fine (and really, no sport bike is a good choice for highway riding). I once did a 24hr/1000 mile ride, nearly all highway on my Ninja 250, and it handled it just fine. If my 250 could do that, your 300 can do a few hours on the highway just fine.

I get wanting to move up, but you bought a 300 to learn on, and it sounds like you've still got some learning to do. So, stick with the best tool for that job, which is what you've already got!

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Lots of options for 6500. Something sporty and comfortable on the interstate...hmmm....any VFR made (unless you are a giant) or to be really different with a very cool and eclectic bike, Aprilia Futura (if you can find one). How's that for some help?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can't really think of a better tool for the job than the one you already have. Long highway miles on my 675 are horrible. The 300 will be revving a bit higher, sure, but it'll be more comfortable and waaaayyy better on mileage too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
CBR500R would be my biased choice. It has a really plush suspension for the long freeway rides and good wind protection and lots of legroom. I consider it a sports touring bike.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hello. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to riding as well. I only started in June 2013. I bought a 2013 Ninja 300 and it has been a blast. I'll never look back. My gf will soon move to Chicago for a year where she has a job and we'll be 3 hours apart. Anyway, I was wondering what sort of bike I should be shopping for to go see her to both save some money and just to ride. I would like to not break the bank and maybe keep it under 6500. It would mostly be interstate miles and a few in town miles. Anyway thanks for any advice and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
If you are looking to save money then keep what you have, it is not going to save $ to buy another bike that gets less mpg and all the $ you spent to buy it.

Look at it like this:

Which is cheaper:

$0 plus 50mpg

or

$6500 plus 40mpg

One option costs $6500 up front, the other costs $0 up front.

Is paying out $6500 less than paying out $0 or is paying out $0 less than paying out $6500?

Or if you are just wanting to buy a new bike (everyone wants a new bike) then buy which ever one you want, there is not a huge difference between brands (unless it is a harley then add 600lbs, subtract 90% of handling ability and subtract 60% of the horsepower).

I would suggest a sport touring or standard bike if you are looking for the most comfort. a ninja 650 is a good one that is comfortable. just look through the other 10,000,000 threads on the same subject and pick what ever suits you best

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you do decide on a new bike, then a Ninja 650R or Versys would be great next steps for you. Manageable bikes that are pretty great on the highway. I was pulling around 65 mpg when riding all highway on mine. Plus the underslung exhaust makes it easy to add hard luggage, or even soft nylon saddlebags for long trips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry I should have specified. I meant a b***** engine like 600 or a 750. I tried the interstate once and I felt unsure.
If you're talking about a 600 or 750 supersport, you may want to reconsider. It's one thing to ride for hours stopping at lights and getting to put your feet down or taking short breaks every hour or so in the twisties, but after a little more than an hour on the interstate you will NEED to stretch your legs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all feed back. Thanks a bunch. I only have 3000 miles mostly on highway as experience. I felt uneasy on the interstate because as someone stated, the higher RPMs. I do around 75mph at maybe lik 900 or 10000 RPMs and that made me uneasy. I have thought of a touring bike as well. But i'll continue to research and try to get more experience. Thanks again :) I'll keep taking in all info!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Ninja 650r is a good choice. I used to steal my old roommate bike all the time for that trip. But I would recommend doing a suspension upgrade.

A buddy of mine picked up a 650r for $1300 with 3k miles. Body was rough and once we pulled the birds nest out of the airbox it ran great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thanks a bunch guys. I ended up with a 2007 650r. After some research it will be pretty perfect for my riding skill and situation. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts