Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I've visited this site let alone post a thread, but I finally have a spare few minutes so here I am. I've had my license since '03 but didn't start riding until March of this year. I have an '05 Ninja 250. I crashed it May 1st and sprained both my knees and left ankle along with a small rash/cut on my right knee. I was wearing full gear that day, but I burned through the textile when I went tumbling and skidding on the asphalt. Anyways, I'm all better now, but I still feel the bruises in my knees. I've only logged about 1200 miles this season since most of my riding was limited to free weekends until recently when I rode my bike to work for the first time this past Tuesday. I live in the DC area and Beltway traffic is a bit intimidating to a newbie. My commute starts in Germantown, MD and ends in Tyson's Corner, VA so it involves getting on 270 and 495. However, I found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I never got even close to getting cut off. It seems like I found a very economical way to get to work, weather permitting. And driving through this traffic jungle is a great way to sharpen my skills. It's interesting that the first day I rode my bike I met another guy in the building who also rides. He mentioned that he has 7 sv650's in his stable along with the sv1000 he had at work. He's into endurance racing too. But I'm glad I finally got over my nerves and rode to work cuz it gives me more opportunity to ride and hopefully soon I'll be ready to move on to something b***** and better.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
+1 congrats

You might do some web surfing for mental skill honing or pick up some books like Proficient Motorcycling to help with hazard awareness and such.

Ride safe

·
Registered
229 Posts
ohfourHokie said:
But I'm glad I finally got over my nerves and rode to work cuz it gives me more opportunity to ride and hopefully soon I'll be ready to move on to something b***** and better.
Seems like 90% of the riding I do is to and from work, doesn't give me much opportunity to practice in the turns. I have gotten a lot better at slow-speed clutch control in traffic, though. :rolleyes

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah, i basically only ride to work. I try to get out and ride on the weekends..Unfortunately, life happens. I try to ride on the weekends as much as possible. As I write, I just got my wisdom teeth out so I'll be out of commission for a while.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah, i basically only ride to work. I try to get out and ride on the weekends..Unfortunately, life happens. I try to ride on the weekends as much as possible. As I write, I just got my wisdom teeth out so I'll be out of commission for a while.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I'm glad you healed up alright from your accident and are back out on the road.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Msf?

·
Registered
170 Posts
First, congrats on healing up. I don't have a bike, but I grew up in Sterling, just down route 7. I get cut off constantly in my car on 495 and 7. You undoubtedly know how horrible the drivers in Northern VA are, but be careful because most of the people on the road in that area have no business being behind the wheel (especially the ones in their urban assault vehicles). And if I get cut off in my car that everyone can see, I'd bet you had a really lucky day on your bike.

And not to hijack, but how'd you like VT? I've still got 2 years left, but I love it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive remarks. Another cool side note, I showed a few people my bike and they actually thought it looked cool. Not too bad for a 2 fiddy.

RACER X said:
Yup, took that in '03 when I got my license.The hardest part now is keeping those skills sharp.

VT NERD said:
And not to hijack, but how'd you like VT? I've still got 2 years left, but I love it.
I love VT and Blacksburg. I wish I had season tickets again this year, but couldn't afford it. If you know anyone that has any available tickets, please let me know. Can't wait to go back and tailgate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts