Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Unofficial” Saddle Sore 1000 + 500 miles

Little Run on the Prairie IL, IA, MN, SD, ND, WI

Day 1 = 1018 miles (West Chicago, IL to St. Cloud, MN)
Day 2 = 508 miles (St. Cloud, MN to West Chicago, IL)

So I wanted to do a Saddle Sore, an unofficial saddle sore since I wasn’t going to be sending in the paper work to the Iron Butt association and paying for a certificate, just wanted to ride a 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. Where should I go? Hey, I’ve never been to North Dakota. In July the days are long and up north there is more sunlight, The only thing I would be without on this ride, is my GPS since it broke two months ago. I was going to have to do this ride the old fashion way, read road signs and look at paper maps if I got lost. I designed a route that would take me west and north in the morning and early afternoon and then ride east and south towards the later afternoon and evening hours, so I didn’t have to ride towards the rising or setting sun. I don’t like slab, so for the total 1000 miles, only 322 miles were going to be ridden on the interstate. Since I can go about 150 miles before filling up with gas, I originally planned to stop 9 times for gas and fill up between 110-130 miles. My friend Rick was going to join me on the ride, then the day before the ride Kaos decided to come also, a guy we've never ridden with. Only thing was his bike could only go about 115-120 miles between fill ups, my gas stops were already predetermined and I had no time to research other options. We would have to change some of the gas stops in route. So we were off, three riders that have never ridden so far in one day.

We completed the 1018 miles in 20 hours. It was not all that bad although a long, long day on the bikes. And it was HOT! Upper 90’s on Saturday, it was still 82 degrees at midnight when we pulled in to the hotel. I was actually amazed that out of the 1018 miles I didn’t miss any turns. And the road signs in all the states were clear and I paid enough attention to stay on track. Leading takes a little more energy than just following bikes, all that without the help of a GPS.

Sunday was tough, tougher than Saturday. Now I know how a Bun Burner 1500 would feel like, but worst because we had all day to ride 500 miles, with a BB1500 we wouldn't have that kind of luxury. I doubt there is any time for much sleep either. I have definitely learned from this trip that on the first day I have the energy to ride far but on the second day I’m sore and tired. I would have never though that day two, a mere 508 miles, would be harder on me than day one of a 1000 miles. To get home we left St. Cloud, MN at 9AM and I didn’t get home until 10PM Sunday night.

I think heat effects my exhaustion greatly. I can easily ride in cold temp, hot temps. ware me out quicker. And it wasn't just hot in the middle of the day. The temperatures were in the mid to high 90's most of the day. Saturday started off cool, but that was the only time all weekend I would feel cold. There was not much cooling off on Saturday night and Sunday morning it was already hot when we started out in the morning at 85 degrees. I drank a lot of water, at times it was annoying since I had to stop for the bathroom before I was ready to stop for gas. By the time I pulled over I really had to go - bad. At least there wasn't much wind on Sunday and just a bit on Saturday. No rain for us all weekend too. Good weather dictates if one can ride a lot of miles in a day, it can really slow you down when the weather isn’t perfect.

So now that I've done a 1000 miles in a day I can't help but reflect on those little things that helped me do it.

#1 my throttle rocker - Rocked!. I could not have done even 500 straight miles without it. On the second day my wrist was started to get a bit sore but nothing like riding without it.

#2 my cool vest and cool scarf. It does cool you down enough to make the ride more comfortable. It works great in dry heat, not as great in humidity

#3 my home made kick-ass hydration system. I can drink any time

#4 my ipod helped me though all the straight and boring sections and all the slab

#5 I really missed heaving my GPS, which is broken

#6 just two days ago I received my Zero Gravity ST screen and it’s way better than the double bubble I had on the bike

#7 carrying two credit cards and alternating between the two to pay for fill-ups, so it doesn't look like someone stole my card and is running cross county.

There was only one thing missing on this trip that ended up making me very miserable in the end - my stock seat. I don't have any trouble with it up until 700 miles, but after that my butt starts getting sore and continues to deteriorate even through day two.

It was a great ride! I'll do it again sometime.

Love my GIVI top case

My comfy 954RR sport-tourer

My 1000 miles route for Saturday though IL, IA, MN, SD and ND

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Kick ass!! Glad you have fun!!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
All that butt torture on a stock Honda seat? Wow, you must have buns of steel!

I'm glad all three of you made it back safely.

I, too, want to do a long ride sometime within' the year with my Five-One and I'm slowly collecting all the things I need for it. I won't have a Givi, but some saddlebags should do. I've been debating whether I should get the Vista Cruise or the Throttle Rocker, and I might now be convince to get the TR. I also want to do a seat mod, no Corbin or Sargent, but instead a replacement of the factory foam with either memory foam or gel.

I might pm you, if you don't mind, for some more guidance. Cheers!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hams51 said:
I might now be convince to get the TR. I also want to do a seat mod, no Corbin or Sargent, but instead a replacement of the factory foam with either memory foam or gel.
I bought another 954RR seat on ebay to experiment with. I’m planning on ordering some gel for it this or next week. I’ll let you know how it goes and what problems I run in to. It should be a cheap mod if it works. There is gel for sale on the internet for under $50.

Then to test it, I will attempt the Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in less than 36 hours) this time I’ll ride for the certificate.

The throttlemeister and vista cruise are good products although expensive. I have always disliked “cruise control” on the bike and in the car. I’m always afraid that I’ll get too comfy and not be able to react when there is an emergency. Powering your vehicle reminds you that you are driving it. So In my case the Throttle Rocker was an easy and cheap solution. It doesn’t interfere with my riding, I have it positioned low, but when I want to rest my arm/wrist, I just bring my hand lower. I used to have terrible cramps in my wrist from sport-touring, not anymore.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
likebikes said:
That's amazing.

Why did you want to do that?
I’ve ridden on plenty of occasions up to 700 miles per day or 17-18 hours per day, with many stops though.

I was curious how it would feel to ride 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. I also like to plan so this was an exercise in good planning, creating a perfect route and creating a ride schedule to follow and actually riding the most miles in a day.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Cool. Thanks Vivid. Definitely let me know how the seat goes. I'll order the throttle rocker tomorrow.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
Somehow I knew planning was involved. I like looking at maps, planning trips and riding but I'm just can't get into riding for mileage. I guess testing yourself works in there too.

You look like Claire Danes in that picture.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Way cool write-up, Vivid. Thanks for sharing! Are those little stickers on your topcase state flags? I was thinking about getting some souvenir stickers at local gift shops every time I hit a new state, "I love ____" and some graphic, etc, and putting them on the inside of the lid. I'd only have a few states so far (GA, AL, MS, LA, TX and soon maybe TN as well) but it's a start.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Awsome... sounds like it was a great trip! Although exhausting as I can imagine. I would like to do one of these sometime! Only thing that sucks though about being down here in south FL is it's 400 miles one way just to get out of our own friggin state, hahah

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fotocycle said:
Are those little stickers on your topcase state flags?
Those are state flag stickers. I got all the flags for like $5, two stickers of each state flag. I don’t know how long they will stay, they are not vinyl, but for now it’s fun to keep adding them.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You did more miles in two days than most riders do in a month. Congrats!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the ride...you just joined our club.....90's most of the year and we have %100 humidity....if only you lived on the Gulf Coast.

Keith

P.S. My girlfriend and I did 900 miles in one day. We know how you feel.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I finally got the throttle rocker today. I'm very pleased with it. I might even use it for around town riding. It's very comfortable so far, as I have yet to try it on the highway. Now, I need to find some saddlebags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, Vivid. I'm intending on doing a good number of trips in the 800-1100 mile range over the next year... I'll be sure to post stories on them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scary picture Rick :lao

We were planning on doing the bun burner 1500 this year but somehow summer has ended and the days are shorter now, so next year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts