Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here are well versed in UNIX? I'm taking a bunch of courses through my work to help supplement the sys admin people with their jobs (there's only 2 and one's leaving). I have basic UNIX down...cd, mkdir, ftp, etc Is it pretty easy to pick up? I'm a rather quick learner. I may not get it the first few times but after that I won't have a problem. I'm not a sys admin by trade at all but I figured this would be good experience down the road and nice to have on the resume.

Any good books that you recommend to study on? I'm signed up for a course that provides a tutorial but class isn't for awhile.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Hey, As far as a good book, I can't really give you one. There are several, but regardless of what you read in a book, ls, ftp, chmod, tail, cat, vi, etc. you are not going to remember the commands when you need them. Aside from the basic commands, they will all mesh together until you use them on a daily basis.

A few recomendations for you, pick up a good book that you can use as a referance. "The complete guide to <insert flavor here>" is just a copy of the documentation that is already installed on the system. Get a book or a cheat sheet on what the commands are. A few guides to refer to when you have problems or questions are always useful. While I don't use this one anymore, it did help me when I was getting started. http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-1059354.html?tag=search

Another very useful command is "man <command>" for example
server1:# man chmod
or
server1:# man scp

This is the "manual" for that command. Almost all flavors of UNIX and Linux have this feature. I am sure that you understand you should not be logged in as root, unless you have to be. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will try to help you out, but first, ask google the same question that you are going to pm me, it usually has the answers for me, even now. Also, to be a great UNIX admin, yes, you have to know all the commands and how to properly maintain a server, but when it comes to troubleshooting, you need to know where to start and google will become your best friend. Good luck!

-Matt

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well one course down...5 more to go

EDIT: by the way, we have a job opening for a sys admin if anyone is interested. PM me and i'll fill you in.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I am...I am....AIX pretty much all day long.
Support about 350 hospital servers across the nation...Root access...one slip of the finger and you can be F'd!!!!

·
Just puttin' along
562 Posts
Mike do you want access to my root? :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
457 Posts
UNIX Shells by Example

I have the first edition of the book. Good reading style, some typos in the worst of places - code examples. If you can find a copy in a bookstore and peruse it, it might be just what you're looking for.

Hacking Linux Exposed, Second Edition
This is a good security book. One benefit of reading security books is that you have to understand the O/S to understand the security advice. This book tells you how the O/S works and what the attack does. Good way to learn the O/S and beef up site security.

Also, learn vi. Every system has a variant of vi. Not every system has pico, an X-based editor or emacs.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not to mention vi is better.

:popcorn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts