Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything on the market that can undo the effects of sun fade damage? I am not referring to the fairing plastics because those are simply to replace. I am more so talking about parts like the gas tank, frame and swing arm. When I get around to replacing all of the fairings, the bike will look weird with shiny new fairings and a faded body. It would look like putting new clothes on an ashy person.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i was wondering if there was like a restorer that was good for the frame. And when you said the first thing that came to my mind was autozone paint.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Only thing i know to keep a frame looking good is to strip and polish it. I've personally done a couple frames in the past and it's terrible, messy work. Good part is whenever your frame gets a little dirty you just hit it with some polish and it's back to good as new.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing i know to keep a frame looking good is to strip and polish it. I've personally done a couple frames in the past and it's terrible, messy work. Good part is whenever your frame gets a little dirty you just hit it with some polish and it's back to good as new.
I was reading one of the stickies about polishing. I was interested in it but i know i don't have the amount of time needed to do that. I could just do bits and pieces, but I am not willing to give my my mode of transportation and commuting to do it. Doesn't take away that I am still interested in it.

As a quick fix i guess i could Just paint it in the mean time. Would just need to find the right kind that is water, chemical and heat resistant and doesn't peel off when rubbed.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
You're talking about the flat black paint on the frame/swingarm?

As a temporary fix you could try some Mother's "Back to Black" or a similar product. I've also heard good things about Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer, which people apply to flat black paint.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're talking about the flat black paint on the frame/swingarm?

As a temporary fix you could try some Mother's "Back to Black" or a similar product. I've also heard good things about Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer, which people apply to flat black paint.
Yea the shiny flat black on the frame and swing. The black that looked nice and wet when new and now looks more like a dry matte black but with more fade in it. When i wash the bike i can see the shine back in it but then it goes away. I REALLY want to try a restorer, but i am not experienced enough with restoring agents and paints to know if i can restore it or better off painting over it.

I was imagining how my bike would look with a polished frame and swingarm and i started to think chrome look. I hate chrome looks on sportbikes, and carbon fiber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts