Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any real benefits to undertail exhaust besides the look? Personally i don't prefer the look of the undertail exhausts but is there any performance advantages? Thanx

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
clearance.......but chances are 99% of rider's won't need that. on street bikes, it's purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you have a stock exhaust on your bike you'll save a few pounds and maybe even gain a couple of horses and of course a better sound...but then again it all depends on the brand...

·
Registered
456 Posts
its makes the bike turn in alot better and it doesnt favor any side its a neutral steering style bike

·
Registered
304 Posts
808 said:
if you have a stock exhaust on your bike you'll save a few pounds and maybe even gain a couple of horses and of course a better sound...but then again it all depends on the brand...
It's said that some aftermarket undertail systems actually HAMPER hp, because the extreme angles needed to get the pipe up there restricts flow. Just a thought.

Quik said:
its makes the bike turn in alot better and it doesnt favor any side its a neutral steering style bike
Please tell me you're joking.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i would think the same... have you seen the agles

·
Registered
173 Posts
freeride said:
It's said that some aftermarket undertail systems actually HAMPER hp, because the extreme angles needed to get the pipe up there restricts flow. Just a thought.

i believe i mentioned that it depends on the brand of exhaust most companies will know the specs on their exhaust systems from testing...all you gotta do is shoot them a email...i also hope he's joking...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know a guy at a shop that installed an undertail exhaust and actually lost horsepower. They dynoed it before and after. I personally am not a big fan. The one's that come out of the undertail look like assholes on bikes to me, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
456 Posts
freeride said:

no, why would i be joking about this. my 1KRR has this type of exhaust

·
Registered
839 Posts
Almost every moto GP bike has some kind of undertail... I dont think its just coincidence.

Although it is very true that undertail exhaust if not designed properly will "loose" power. because its not actually losing power its just restricting it but im sure ew all know how exhaust work

·
Registered
839 Posts
Racer X is right. Its about clearance. If you are worried about that then get it. Or if you like the looks of it, get it. Like i did.

If you want more power go with what the bike comes with

·
Registered
239 Posts
One thing I noticed that may be from a different point of view is:

With my VFR, the passenger does not run as much of a risk burning any of thier soft parts on a hot exhaust. Or marking up my mid-pipe or can with shoe rubber from an errant slip.

Not performance related....but maybe worth mentioning.

Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts