Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what does everyone here believe are the 5 most underappreciated bikes? You know, bikes that are a solid buy, both for cost and bang-for-the-buck factor but because of weird market forces or poor timing or whatever, remain either slow sellers or just overlooked in the quest for the almighty bike. My picks..

1. Suzuki SV1000S and the 650...I rarely see these flying around, but I know that they are a great buy merely based on price and rider reviews from actual guys that own them and a few rides I've taken on them. Every ride I took on one left me with a big, stupid grin. Great styling, wondrous engine and tranny, and cheap as hell too.

2. Kawasaki ZRX1200...you know the one, it looks as if a certain E. Lawson just got through designing it? A 1200cc engine in a sub-$8,000.00 package and some pretty comfy ergos to boot. Very nice....

3. Suzuki GSX-R750...Lovely bike, IMHO I think it's the best pound-for-pound sportbike out there. I see too many literbikes and waaaayy too many 600 Gixxers out there, when the best of both worlds (IMO) can be had for cheaper than the 1k and marginally more expensive than the 600.

4. Triumph 600 Daytona...Admittedly, I picked this one based purely on styling and ergos alone. Triumphs are fairly rare bikes where I'm at, and from what I understand, across the nation they are rare to see. The Triumph Bonneville America is a cruiser, yes, but still one of the most beautiful bikes out there, damned affordable as well.

5. Yamaha Bandit 1200 and 600...I don't know why I don't see more of these out on the roads. They are a great bike, yes? They look good, are affordably priced, have great power and above all come with loads of accessories, right? Why don't more people ride them?

Post up!!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Chauncey said:
5. Yamaha Bandit 1200 and 600...
Post up!!
Psst! It's a Suzuki...

You want just currently available bikes?

- How 'bout the FZ6? Is it underappreciated? Or just not enough out there 'cause they're so new?

- YZF600?

- FJR1300?

- Any Air cooled Ducati SS?

- Honda XX Blackbird?

- Kaw W650? maybe not a current model but some still left over.

my head hurts from thinking too much, Doh! Stupid brain...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I'm not gonna list 5, I'm gonna list 1.

1) Suzuki SV650S - this bike is so much fun and with a few suspension mods a VERY POTENT track machine. Nuff said.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Topic of the month. Congratulations.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GSX-R 750 underappreciated? By who?

·
Registered
952 Posts
uhh.. there are more SV's on Purdue's campus then any other single bike. But I agree there should be more nakeds (SV, Bandit, ZRX)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Z1000 -> looks like such a fun bike, how come I never see them?

ZRX1200 -> you can get these things used for next to nothing... a lot of bike for the money.

CBR1100XX -> 'Busa stole it's thunder, sure... but it's still an awesome machine that's been seemingly forgotten.

YZF600R -> much better bike than many people are willing to give it credit for.

SL1000 Falco -> reasonably priced, sexxy styling, thundering v-twin, what's not to like? Had I not bought my XX I'd have one of these.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sv's are definetly not underappreciated, those things have such a cult following and anyone who rides one would be hard pressed to find serious flaws. I see tons of them in my neck of the woods.

My vote goes with the yzf-600r, great bikes. but people complain they are dated. ( if it ain't broke don't fix it )

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks jk750 for correcting me on the Bandit thing, I searched Yammy's website for the Bandit to no avail. I'm a dipshit for saying the Bandit was a Yamaha. Oh well...

The SV family is rarely seen around here in Wichita, at least by my two eyes. I've seen only two since I've been here and those two have been with people I work with. My friend Jason rides a SV1000S and Kaitlyn rides the 650, both shiteloads of fun to ride.

Good point about the Blackbird, I haven't seen one of those in a while. :D :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well since I ride a SV1000S and I get shit for it all the time from my firends and end up stomping them on the twisties anyway. I'm gonna say the SV's

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mykl said:
GSX-R 750 underappreciated? By who?
Not saying it's underappreciated per se, just seems as if the logic to buy one is tossed out the door when for a couple grand more you could have the 1k. Or for that same amount of dough less, you could get a 600. I kinda think the 750 is in a tough spot from a sales point of view, it could be just me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Honda VFR. Great bike, just don't see that many of them

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
around here it would probably be the sv, bandit1200/600, zrx1200, vfr (I saw one yesterday but it's probably been a couple of years since I saw one before) and I personally do not think the gsxr is unappreciated, then again I am biased.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You could make a case for underappreciation for just about any sportbike that isn't the TopDog race replica...

SV's get plenty of props for entry level riders *and* racers...

VFRs practically have their own cult amongst sport tourers...

Do we have to vote for bikes that are still in production???

- Suzuki RF900
- Honda Superhawk
- Honda CB1 and/or Honda Hawk

But for obvious reasons, I have to vote Falco:

Attachments

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This thread is open to current-run bikes and old bikes that are no longer produced.

Post up!!

·
Registered
359 Posts

I'd say the Yamaha GTS 1000; I'd love to have one, with a VFR single sided rear swingarm and an R1 or better yet the 1300 Hayabusa motor swapped in.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ex250/500......no one appreciates what the bike will DO for them to make them BETTER riders....just cause of the 'look' they have/will get from others. Fucking shame.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts