Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my R6 came to me from the previous owner with the frame and swingarm polished. Honestly, the polished aluminum was one of the primary initial attention-grabbers for me when I was shopping for a bike. However, I'm debating whether to leave these items polished, or to paint/powdercoat them black. I think the polished stuff looks beautiful when it's actually cleaned up, but it generally does not take long before various things end up getting on them. Even if I don't get caught in the rain or get some sort of grime on them, I generally get overspray on them when using honda polish to clean up the painted surfaces. The bike gets a bit dirty and I would prefer to be able to just do a quick cleanup in about 10 minutes with the spray polish without having to spend five or six times as long polishing everything up. Plus, I can tell everything is getting duller with each polishing. No matter what you do, you can't have a soft enough cloth to keep it from getting tiny scratches on the surface. Sure, they could be buffed or sanded back out, but I'm looking to save time, not waste even more.

If I do decide to go from polished aluminum to black frame and swingarm, how should I go about doing that? I guess I would need to scuff the polished surfaces up a bit so the paint would adhere properly? Could I just use a standard painting procedure used on sheet metal or plastics, using primer following by base coat and clear coat, and doing all the sanding in between? To be honest, I don't really want it to be shiny - I'd rather have a flat black color.

I know powdercoating would probably be more durable and last longer, but it would also mean pretty much completely dismantling the bike, wheras I could just paint the exposed surfaces without removing the engine, etc. from the bike if I just paint it.

What should I do??

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you really like the polish job you could keep it like that and just have a automotive clear coat put on it. Then you don't have to worry about polishing it back up. :rolleyes

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would just go ahead and do a good primer/base coat/clear coat with a flat black paint. Just tape the bike up real well so you don't get any overspray on the plastics and paint all the exposed areas. You'll need to scuff the polished frame up with 600 grit sandpaper, then clean it up real well and primer it. You should be able to do the whole procedure over a weekend working on friday,(scuff, clean, primer) saturday(base coat) and sunday(clear coat). You need to make sure each coat has enough time to dry.

And yeah, I would recommend this over wasting time on the polishing all the time. I want to paint my frame black, as the 02's have the silver painted frame instead of the slick flat black on the '03 and newer ZX's.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i'd go with the powercoat black.. so you wont have any scuffy of the paint later...

·
SBN's Slowest Member
1,312 Posts
dont mess with it. leave it polished.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could just sand it and make it look like the bare metal frame. Mine is the 01 R-1 with bare metal frame. Easy to clean and looks great. When I bought my bar ends and spools I used 100 grit to make them match.

·
Registered
645 Posts
if you are going to paint it, please just take the swingarm off. It'll be 10x easier, and you wont have to worry about painting the bike aswell.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
use a 3M scrub pad and take your time. Itll be Gray metal in no time. You can even make patterns of swirls to add style. Its possible and i ruined my polish work with one trying to get gunk off the frame. Had to polish the whole frame again. But i wanted my frame polished

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts